Another Day, Another Rut
Wilska
Apr 27 2009, 09:13 PM
GMC:er
I'm going insane guys, for the last month or so it actually feels like my playing is decaying instead of improving! I don't get anywhere new, I can't seem to get out of my habits, be they good or bad.
I was hoping some of you could maybe give me some pointers on how to go about achieving my goals. Let me tell you a few things about my playing:

I usually play atleast 30 mins a day, often more like 2 and sometimes 3 hours a day depending on how much "real life" I have to take care of. What I practice is usually this: A couple of songs which vary because they're songs i'm trying to learn at the time. For example now i'm focusing on 3 songs, but i'm trying to perfect lots of riffs in between (i'm into riff-stacking style of music). Then I try to practice a couple of solo techniques inbetween, which most often ends up being playing a couple of arpeggios with a metronome and practicing switching between 16th notes, 16th notes triplets, 16th note quintuples(?) etc, because I really like long runs where the "packs" of notes switches speed. Also I throw in some string skipping exercise maybe some legato or tapping.

I think I just realised what my problem is.. it's focus isn't it? I shouldn't try so many different things at once?
I've gotten very self-contious about my guitar playing because I regularly play with a few friends and it constantly seems like they speed ahead of me while i'm still stuck.

Any pointers on how to break out of this? I need to "evolve", to grow and learn, otherwise I fear I will put down my trusty old friend.

Oh and btw, if any swedes here lives in stockholm and would consider giving some private lessons i'm very interested!

Also, i'm looking for a not-to-expensive cam/webcam so I can record myself playing for submission here so I can get some feedback and probably learn something new, any tips?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
------ Wilska's Gear ------

Guitars: Gibson Flying V Faded '67, ESP Ltd Alexi 600, Jackson Kelly KE3
Pickups: SD Blackout, Emg 81/85
Amp: Krank Rev Jr Pro
Effects: Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah, Digitech Hardwire CM-2, Digitech Hardwire DL-8, MXR Phase 90
Recording: Blackstar HT-DistX, Line6 Pod X3 Live
Pick: Dunlop Jazz III XL black, Dunlop Ultex Sharp 1.14 and 1.40
Strings: GHS Boomers 10-52, Rotosound 10-46
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
skennington
Apr 27 2009, 09:28 PM
Learning Roadie - Never Give Up - Moderator
QUOTE (Wilska @ Apr 27 2009, 04:13 PM) *
I think I just realised what my problem is.. it's focus isn't it? I shouldn't try so many different things at once?

I found this recently and some of you might recognize it.The idea is geared toward learning scales and chords but If you think about it, it can be applied across the board and makes a lot of sense..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:59 AM