Exercises
Outlaw2112
May 19 2008, 03:22 AM
GMC:er
How long do you practice your exercises everyday?

Ive been neglecting them for the past few months... Im gonna try to do exercises for a minimum of one hour everyday and see what happens after a month..

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nick325
May 19 2008, 03:45 AM
do you mean exercises for technique? if so ive limited myself from only practicing technique to only part of my practice routine because technique isnt everything and if your only good at that you wont be a well rounded guitar player. you also need to practice improvising, scales, chords, theory, etc.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Outlaw2112
May 19 2008, 03:49 AM
QUOTE (Nick325 @ May 19 2008, 03:45 AM) *
do you mean exercises for technique? if so ive limited myself from only practicing technique to only part of my practice routine because technique isnt everything and if your only good at that you wont be a well rounded guitar player. you also need to practice improvising, scales, chords, theory, etc.

Im talking about speed exercises, and speed picking exercises...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jenkinson
May 19 2008, 07:41 AM
It is important to build strength and speed through these exercises. You can also cover scales and run them until your fingers need to rest, thats what I do. So I reinforce my scale knowledge while improve my picking technique and speed. Also, many of the lessons incoporate speedpicking runs in them, I find it essential to practice these lessons as hard and consistently as you would a single scale to build speed. The reasons for this are playing a scale up and down does not necessarily increase your ability to play chords/licks and then throw in a quick speed lick, also many GMC lessons have runs that are outside of your standard scale runs, so you get to practice difficult fingerings. I feel for all these reasons it is essential to play scales up and down to a metronome, and then pick some fun lessons to work on, until you have built the speed licks in the lesson up to speed with the rest of the lesson. I will give you an example: Pavel's Hand Control lesson is my favorite lesson to play, and by far the most impressive lesson for non guitarists to watch / hear. I have mastered all of the non speed picking up to the 140bpm tempo, but the two speedpicking licks I have only worked up to 120. So on a given practice day I might stretch and do very slow warmups for 10 minutes or so. Then I will run the 7 modes up and down the entire fretboard 1 mode at a time for 30 minutes, slowly building speed. Then I will move on to a lesson ( ie. Pavel's Hand Control ) and play it at 80bpm, about 10 times. Then I will move it up to 100bpm and play it about 20 times. Finally I kick it up to 120 and shread through the lesson until my fingers need to rest. Usually right before my hand needs to rest, I will try to play the lesson at the next tempo level only once. If I succeed in playing it flawlessly, then I will work at that tempo repeating the same process mentioned above until I finally max out the lesson. Once I max out a lesson, I try to play it 100 times a day at the maxxed tempo to become extremely comfortable with it. I hope that helped.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hisham Al-Sanea
May 19 2008, 09:07 AM
Instructor
for me 1 hour daily

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
May 19 2008, 11:18 AM
Instructor
I don't really measure it, I just play, sometimes 2 hours, sometimes more, sometimes less.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Juan M. Valero
May 19 2008, 01:51 PM
Instructor
I try to play 2 hours of exercices but sometimes it's difficult because I spend lot of time learning songs, or trying different effects, etc.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
May 19 2008, 06:15 PM
QUOTE (Outlaw2112 @ May 18 2008, 10:22 PM) *
How long do you practice your exercises everyday?

Ive been neglecting them for the past few months... Im gonna try to do exercises for a minimum of one hour everyday and see what happens after a month..

I'm working on a project where I plan on how much time I spend practicing week to week and record some kind of comparison at the end of the week. It's partially how I practice I'm sure, but I have a hard time telling whether I'm making any progress over time with my playing so I have to figure out a way to see of myself.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
Marcus Siepen
May 20 2008, 05:11 PM
Instructor (Blind Guardian)
For me this differs, sometimes I play all day long, on other days I don't even look at a guitar.

--------------------
Guitars: various Gibson Les Pauls / Gibson J 45
Amps: Mesa Boogie Tripple Rectifier / Triaxis / 2:90 Poweramp / Rectocabs
Effects: Rocktron Intellifex / Rocktron Xpression
Homepage: www.marcussiepen.com www.blind-guardian.com
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 08:36 AM