What Is The Best Way To Learn Modes.
DragonX556
Jan 7 2009, 04:21 PM
GMC:er
I know most of the major scale and I need to improvise around it a little more to get more comfortable with it. After I learn the major scale how should I go about learning the modes. I know Ivan has a good lesson in Modes Workshop and your lesson on Learning the Modes brought me to ask this question. Should I learn the first box of all the modes and also learn their arpeggios like you show in your Learning the Modes lesson, or should I concentrate on each mode, such as Phrygian, and learn the mode up and down the guitar neck in each "box" before I move onto the next? Which would be the easiest approach to learning modes? Is it important to learn the modes up and down the guitar first, or is that a thing I should work on later once i get a basic understanding of the first box of each mode, learn their arpeggios, and what chord they are played over, for example Ionian and Lydian are played over Maj7.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
David Wallimann
Jan 7 2009, 04:25 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (DragonX556 @ Jan 7 2009, 10:21 AM) *
I know most of the major scale and I need to improvise around it a little more to get more comfortable with it. After I learn the major scale how should I go about learning the modes. I know Ivan has a good lesson in Modes Workshop and your lesson on Learning the Modes brought me to ask this question. Should I learn the first box of all the modes and also learn their arpeggios like you show in your Learning the Modes lesson, or should I concentrate on each mode, such as Phrygian, and learn the mode up and down the guitar neck in each "box" before I move onto the next? Which would be the easiest approach to learning modes? Is it important to learn the modes up and down the guitar first, or is that a thing I should work on later once i get a basic understanding of the first box of each mode, learn their arpeggios, and what chord they are played over, for example Ionian and Lydian are played over Maj7.

Great question,
I would start with learning each position as a unique mode.
Have you checked this post?
I explain a bit what I think the method you need to follow should be in my opinion.
Let me know if it helps!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
www.youtube.com/Wallimann
www.davidwallimann.com
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2024 - 11:29 AM