Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Amitai's Technique Builder
GMC Forum > Discussion Boards > VINTAGE GMC > Community Activities and Tutorials > Ask an Instructor > Cosmin Lupu
Pages: 1, 2, 3, 4
Cosmin Lupu
Hello man! biggrin.gif this is your training ground, so let's see wink.gif

Can you please tell me on what level you are with all the techniques you would like to develop? After knowing this, I can better direct you towards good practice wink.gif

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2012, 09:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello man! biggrin.gif this is your training ground, so let's see wink.gif

Can you please tell me on what level you are with all the techniques you would like to develop? After knowing this, I can better direct you towards good practice wink.gif

Cosmin

Hey Cosmin! First off, thank you so much!
Second, I am familliar to AP and Sweep Picking, however my Sweeping is very weak, and kind of Avarage on the AP area.
With Sweeping, I can hit the notes on time and also make the pulloffs\hammerons on time and make them sound, but slow and
robotic like, I would like to make this a second nature tongue.gif
As for the Alterante Picking, I do this as a regular basis, but never improved. I need to be more precise and faster, mainly to nail
faster licks for Fusion~JazzRock soloing.

I would also like to develop my legato playing and tapping, but I think I am getting ahed of myself.

-Amitai smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Mar 25 2012, 01:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin! First off, thank you so much!
Second, I am familliar to AP and Sweep Picking, however my Sweeping is very weak, and kind of Avarage on the AP area.
With Sweeping, I can hit the notes on time and also make the pulloffs\hammerons on time and make them sound, but slow and
robotic like, I would like to make this a second nature tongue.gif
As for the Alterante Picking, I do this as a regular basis, but never improved. I need to be more precise and faster, mainly to nail
faster licks for Fusion~JazzRock soloing.

I would also like to develop my legato playing and tapping, but I think I am getting ahed of myself.

-Amitai smile.gif

biggrin.gif Hey man! Let's focus on sweeping and AP for starters - legato and tapping go hand in hand, so I think that after we first gain some ground with the first two we can go on with the other two tongue.gif

Tell me what sort of tempo feels relaxed for you in AL and sweep? Can you perform at that tempo for long?

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2012, 09:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
biggrin.gif Hey man! Let's focus on sweeping and AP for starters - legato and tapping go hand in hand, so I think that after we first gain some ground with the first two we can go on with the other two tongue.gif

Tell me what sort of tempo feels relaxed for you in AL and sweep? Can you perform at that tempo for long?

Cosmin

Okay.
AP and 2 string Sweep Picking is about 95-100BPM when picking 16th notes.
3 string Sweep Picking is about 80-85BPM. (Haven't got to more than 3 string Sweep picking)
That's about it.

Thanks,

Amitai.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Mar 25 2012, 08:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay.
AP and 2 string Sweep Picking is about 95-100BPM when picking 16th notes.
3 string Sweep Picking is about 80-85BPM. (Haven't got to more than 3 string Sweep picking)
That's about it.

Thanks,

Amitai.

Hey again Amitai! Check this out wink.gif I got an uber lesson from Ben, which focuses on picking arpeggios:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/ it'll work the hell out of your right hand and it'll help coordination BIG TIME. Why don't you try and push this one, as fast and clean as possible? Let me know about your impressions at first glance smile.gif

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 25 2012, 10:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey again Amitai! Check this out wink.gif I got an uber lesson from Ben, which focuses on picking arpeggios:
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Picking-Arpeggios/ it'll work the hell out of your right hand and it'll help coordination BIG TIME. Why don't you try and push this one, as fast and clean as possible? Let me know about your impressions at first glance smile.gif

Cosmin

Alright, here's my take.
Please don't mind the sound, I just got Guitar Rig 5 and still having trouble.
By the way, I'm playing on a Gibson Les Paul Standart modded by Larry Corsa.

http://soundcloud.com/amitaik/picking-arpeggios
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Mar 25 2012, 10:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Alright, here's my take.
Please don't mind the sound, I just got Guitar Rig 5 and still having trouble.
By the way, I'm playing on a Gibson Les Paul Standart modded by Larry Corsa.

http://soundcloud.com/amitaik/picking-arpeggios

Hey mate! This sounds very good!! biggrin.gif Now, this can be transformed into an awesome right hand exercise if sped up and played clean wink.gif can you place let's say 15 BPM over the original tempo and work against a metronome? If you can record it, t'would be awesome!
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 26 2012, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate! This sounds very good!! biggrin.gif Now, this can be transformed into an awesome right hand exercise if sped up and played clean wink.gif can you place let's say 15 BPM over the original tempo and work against a metronome? If you can record it, t'would be awesome!

Thanks! smile.gif
Alright, this time at 120 BPM.
Not perfect but I think it's okay.

http://soundcloud.com/amitaik/picking-arpeggios-120-bpm
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Mar 26 2012, 09:30 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks! smile.gif
Alright, this time at 120 BPM.
Not perfect but I think it's okay.

http://soundcloud.com/amitaik/picking-arpeggios-120-bpm

Not bad mate, but there are a few hick-ups here and there, but you can do better biggrin.gif let's see another take after you have practiced the shifts with your left hand only against the metronome at the desired speed smile.gif add the right hand after that and let's see what we get wink.gif

Deal?

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 27 2012, 08:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not bad mate, but there are a few hick-ups here and there, but you can do better biggrin.gif let's see another take after you have practiced the shifts with your left hand only against the metronome at the desired speed smile.gif add the right hand after that and let's see what we get wink.gif

Deal?

Cosmin

Okay (:
I'll practice some more and make another take.
And...! I have a question.
Can I send you something I recorded and you'll give me your opinion? Thanks.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Mar 28 2012, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Okay (:
I'll practice some more and make another take.
And...! I have a question.
Can I send you something I recorded and you'll give me your opinion? Thanks.

hey man, sure, let's see

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Mar 29 2012, 02:01 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey man, sure, let's see

Cosmin

Hey Cosmin! Thanks, I will record both the task and the part I wrote in a few days.
I will be over at my friends house until Tuesday so I won't be able to do it until then,
but I'll have my guitar because we have band rehearsals. So I will have time to practice and work on the task you gave me (:

Have a nice weekend. laugh.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Mar 30 2012, 04:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin! Thanks, I will record both the task and the part I wrote in a few days.
I will be over at my friends house until Tuesday so I won't be able to do it until then,
but I'll have my guitar because we have band rehearsals. So I will have time to practice and work on the task you gave me (:

Have a nice weekend. laugh.gif

You too mate! Godspeed and I'll be here when you return smile.gif

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin, I'm back. Haven't played seriously for about 2 weeks or so, so I'm a bit rusty.
Recorded this 2nd 120BPM take for Ben's lesson 'Picking Arpeggios'.

How have you benn anyways?

Amitai

http://soundcloud.com/amitaik/picking-arpeggios-120bpm-2nd
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man! Things are good here smile.gif just celebrated Easter with my family and now it's back to work!

Mate, the take is not bad, but please take care to tune up your guitar and try to have the same dynamic for each note smile.gif this is fairly tricky as the tone is clean and the fluctuations are easier to spot wink.gif

Anyway, I would also like you to start working on this one: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...picking-thirds/

Picking intervals is always a popular choice in soloing and thirds are usually the best to start with - how a bout this drill mate?

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
http://soundcloud.com/amitaik/alternative-picking-thirds

Hey Cosmin, how are you?

Here is my first take for Muris's lesson, Alternative Picking - Thirds.
BPM is at 80.

Thank you and have a nice day smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Amitai! Long time no see mate biggrin.gif well, for a first take it's clean and pretty tight with a few exceptions where you tend to give it a shuffle feel tongue.gif keep up the constant timing and you'll be there wink.gif

Can you record it against the backing track?

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 2 2012, 03:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Amitai! Long time no see mate biggrin.gif well, for a first take it's clean and pretty tight with a few exceptions where you tend to give it a shuffle feel tongue.gif keep up the constant timing and you'll be there wink.gif

Can you record it against the backing track?

Cosmin

Do you mean Muris's backing track? the 100BPM one?
I guess I can record it but at 100BPM it will be kinda sloppy.
I'll try and post it.

Thanks,
Amitai
Cosmin Lupu
Hey Amitai, take your time man smile.gif first, use a slower version of the backing track while recording, k? Just to get the feel of working with a rhythmic support while you're tracking your guitar smile.gif let me know how it feels and when you got a take at the slowest pace available with the backing tracks, place it here smile.gif

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin, I'm bumping this since I have moved back to my old place after a few months of traveling.
So now I have the time, and after you made that video about becoming a better lead guitarist, I knew you
could help me a lot more.

If you have the time, I'd love to continue this journey.

Amitai.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Apr 30 2013, 09:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin, I'm bumping this since I have moved back to my old place after a few months of traveling.
So now I have the time, and after you made that video about becoming a better lead guitarist, I knew you
could help me a lot more.

If you have the time, I'd love to continue this journey.

Amitai.

Heheheey biggrin.gif Welcome back little buddy! Sure thing smile.gif Let me know what you are currently working on and i will answer using videos because it's a lot easier to talk and demo things with the guitar rather than write!
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 1 2013, 12:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Heheheey biggrin.gif Welcome back little buddy! Sure thing smile.gif Let me know what you are currently working on and i will answer using videos because it's a lot easier to talk and demo things with the guitar rather than write!

Well first, I came back last night really late, and saw your video response.
So I played a little with inspiration from you (first singing and then trying to find it on the fretboard).
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/cosmins-wise-words
Please ignore any rhythmical issues, it was really late and I was drunk. laugh.gif

Second, I am trying to work on my creative writing and composing, aswell as lead technique and understanding
guitar licks theoretically. I would love some guidance.

Thank you very much,
Amitai.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ May 1 2013, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well first, I came back last night really late, and saw your video response.
So I played a little with inspiration from you (first singing and then trying to find it on the fretboard).
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/cosmins-wise-words
Please ignore any rhythmical issues, it was really late and I was drunk. laugh.gif

Second, I am trying to work on my creative writing and composing, aswell as lead technique and understanding
guitar licks theoretically. I would love some guidance.

Thank you very much,
Amitai.

Hey man, this sounds promising and I have the following idea smile.gif let's establish a chord progression and create a dialogue, you play a phrase and I play one. The rule is - sing it first and then play and record. After recording and being satisfied with the result, we analyze and say to each other what we played smile.gif ok?
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ May 1 2013, 03:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey man, this sounds promising and I have the following idea smile.gif let's establish a chord progression and create a dialogue, you play a phrase and I play one. The rule is - sing it first and then play and record. After recording and being satisfied with the result, we analyze and say to each other what we played smile.gif ok?

Sounds great. Just to start it off, I'll be first. smile.gif

6/4, 120BPM.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Cosmin Lupu
Very nice mate - I'll cook up something and post tomorrow morning biggrin.gif
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin!

Well for now, here's something I recorded while playing with intervals on the first mode.
Click to view attachment
Would also appreciate it a lot if you could recommend me a lesson about rock/blues phrasing, and right using of the pentatonic positions.

Thank you!

Amitai. smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man! I'm delaying a bit on the recording of that phrase - it's Easter here and we are celebrating this weekend (Most likely I'll record on Tuesday). But, my most heartfelt recommendation for you, regarding the blues/ rock lessons are definitely the ones our former fellow instructor Mate Nagy wrote for GMC - let's start with this one - it's got groove and it needs great control over the bends and vibrato!

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Angus-Attitude-Blues/

What do you say, my friend? biggrin.gif

Cosmin

PS: The recording showcases a great atmospheric idea! I definitely like it, but tell me, what do you mean by the first mode? Because it doesn't sound Ionian to my ears smile.gif
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin, happy Easter!

I will definetaly try that one.

And about the recording, you are right.
The "Rhythm" guitar is played on the Ionian mode (playing sixth and seventh pairs), and for the rest,
it's a combination of the Ionian and the Aeolian.
And thank you smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey buddy smile.gif Here's what came to my head - after playing it, I realized that my aim (subconsciously) was to hit E or B notes whenever the riff changed to one of those chords. Tried to be as laid back as possible, in order to keep a smooth bluesy atmosphere.

Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin!
How are you?

I'm back once again, after six months being away from home, only had my classical guitar.
I didn't have much time to practice, but I did play almost daily for about an hour.
Now I'm back home hopefully for atleast a few months. First thing I did was taking a look around GMC
and looking for good acoustic lessons. Since I only had my classical guitar, I got a bit into fingerstyle playing.

Began the Brazilian Choro lesson a few days ago. Playing it all day and all night, it's an amazing lesson!
http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Brazilian-Choro/

I'd like to tackle it and play it full speed, including the last bit with the diminished arpeggios!
I can upload a video (haven't got my little studio set up yet, but I can record it with my shitty laptop) if you wish.
I have a serious problem understanding the diminished arpeggios timing.

So yeah! It's awesome to back. And if you have the time to help me, I'd be super glad!
Got motivation and ambitions smile.gif

Cosmin Lupu

Hello and welcome back Amitai!

I would be glad to help out - so please show me where the problem is smile.gif Note that I don't know any classical guitar technique - especially in respect to the right hand and I can only tell you what doesn't sound right or in good timing smile.gif But let's give things a shot!

How is life going, man?
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 27 2014, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello and welcome back Amitai!

I would be glad to help out - so please show me where the problem is smile.gif Note that I don't know any classical guitar technique - especially in respect to the right hand and I can only tell you what doesn't sound right or in good timing smile.gif But let's give things a shot!

How is life going, man?

Hey!
Everything is great. Home feels good.
Hows Romania? I'm going to be there in four months, meeting up with friends that are traveling the area, then going to Germany through Hungary and Austria.

And for the classical guitar technique, I don't mind. I would like to add on to my current theory knowledge, and make it more practical.
I'd like to compose (not classical tunes, more jazz and indie/folk), and understand it. I don't want to play around, stop myself on something
specific, say "Hey! That's good!" if I won't understand why it's good.
Cosmin Lupu
Hehe! Good choice man smile.gif I am pretty much the same - trying to borrow from everywhere, understand everything, but use only what I really like. Well, in the mean time, I am waiting for your recording and if you wish, maybe we can meet up when you arrive here in Romania - what do you say? We can make a pic for GMC biggrin.gif
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 28 2014, 08:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hehe! Good choice man smile.gif I am pretty much the same - trying to borrow from everywhere, understand everything, but use only what I really like. Well, in the mean time, I am waiting for your recording and if you wish, maybe we can meet up when you arrive here in Romania - what do you say? We can make a pic for GMC biggrin.gif

Well I think I got the "Brazilian Choro" under control hehe. I got the diminished part timing right, it's just super fast so I'm pacing myself.
I'll work on it a bit more, then I'll post a recording.

In the mean time, I'd like to get guidance on the theory=>practical theory part.
I know modes, not really good, but I know how to build them.
I'd like to have modes as a second nature. So I can play them fluently and understand them better.
So if we can begin with that it'd be super. I don't really know what else should I mention. Maybe arpeggios?

And yeah! If we'll be somewhere near Bucharest I'll be sure to let you know! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey there mate smile.gif

I know what you mean and I will help out as best I can. The whole thing that you need to master, is the relationship between notes and chords. That's basically what modes are all about - first step smile.gif Watch the replay of this video chat here: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...st&p=671081

After this, please follow these steps:

- record 7 modal vamps (simple modal progressions - do you know how?) - one for each mode
- use the concepts in the video chat replay over each vamp on ONE string smile.gif - basically at this step I want you to play the characteristic scale degree of each mode against that modal progression so that you may get acquainted with the flavor of the mode.

The characteristic scale degree is that particular note in each mode that gives it its flavor. Let me know if I am too fast, ok?

Cosmin
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin.

I've watched it, great stuff!
I think I understand. So I need to use a diatonic chord progression that revolves around a chord that represents
a mode.

So I'm using a G root note (Ionian).
If I want to do a Dorian modal vamp, I can play 2-5-1 |Am|Am|D|G|. Is that right?
Then play the Dorian scale on one string?

*So I gave it a shot, playing G Dorian on the first string, with one finger.
It was hard because I haven't got my full set up yet, so playing on my classical guitar, which doesn't have markings.
https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/g-dorian-1st-string
Cosmin Lupu
Yes mate! Haha - great ideas - I think you nailed it totally biggrin.gif I'm so glad - the situation you described is best noted as:

i IV VII as you are regarding it in an A Dorian context rather than ii V I judging it by the functions of the chords in the G major scale context - of course for the Am D G progression smile.gif

What do you think so far?

Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 30 2014, 08:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes mate! Haha - great ideas - I think you nailed it totally biggrin.gif I'm so glad - the situation you described is best noted as:

i IV VII as you are regarding it in an A Dorian context rather than ii V I judging it by the functions of the chords in the G major scale context - of course for the Am D G progression smile.gif

What do you think so far?

I think that it's pretty amazing. After a few minutes of playing I think I know the Dorian scale on the first string better than I ever have biggrin.gif

But isn't it more confusing that way?
I mean, I know that when talking about a major scale, from the root note -
I - maj7
II - m7
III - m7
IV - maj7
V - 7
VI - m7
VII - dim
I understood why I-IV-VII, every chord is taken one "step" back when talking about the 2nd mode.
If I wanted to play this progression on the Phrygian it would be VII-III-VI wouldn't it?
And if I play with someone, when he says B Phryigian VI-III-II, its actually |Gmaj7|D7|Cmaj7|?

You also said, unless intending to do so, to avoid finishing phrases on the 4th and the 7th, because they are suspension notes.
If I'm playing the Dorian scale, is it the same with the 4th and 7th, or 3rd and 6th, or not the same at all?

And one more question. Should I play all the modes in a parallel way?
Like you said in the lesson. If I said G Ionian, I should have also played the G Dorian, G Phrygian and so on...?

Thanks! Going to work, afterwards I'll tackle the rest of the dorian strings smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Jan 30 2014, 10:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think that it's pretty amazing. After a few minutes of playing I think I know the Dorian scale on the first string better than I ever have biggrin.gif

But isn't it more confusing that way?
I mean, I know that when talking about a major scale, from the root note -
I - maj7
II - m7
III - m7
IV - maj7
V - 7
VI - m7
VII - dim
I understood why I-IV-VII, every chord is taken one "step" back when talking about the 2nd mode.
If I wanted to play this progression on the Phrygian it would be VII-III-VI wouldn't it?
And if I play with someone, when he says B Phryigian VI-III-II, its actually |Gmaj7|D7|Cmaj7|?

You also said, unless intending to do so, to avoid finishing phrases on the 4th and the 7th, because they are suspension notes.
If I'm playing the Dorian scale, is it the same with the 4th and 7th, or 3rd and 6th, or not the same at all?

And one more question. Should I play all the modes in a parallel way?
Like you said in the lesson. If I said G Ionian, I should have also played the G Dorian, G Phrygian and so on...?

Thanks! Going to work, afterwards I'll tackle the rest of the dorian strings smile.gif

Hey mate - everything is correct wink.gif up to the question regarding the VI III II - you also need the i - that means the B chord. Otherwise, you will not be able to tell the nature of the progression. Most of the times, a modal progression begins with the chord derived from the scale step that dictates the mode. That would mean that this progression should look more like this: i VI III II or even better i II VI III wink.gif

Regarding the tension smile.gif It is more of an interval knowledge question - there are intervals which can solve phrases in a very fluid way or others which can create more tension and not release the phrase at all - I recommend you to read this thread for more ideas on the matter:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry644329

And yes, try the modes in the parallel but also in the derivative way biggrin.gif In that way, you will become even more knowledgeable wink.gif I am SO glad you understand these things biggrin.gif Really!!
Amitai Kedmi
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jan 31 2014, 08:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey mate - everything is correct wink.gif up to the question regarding the VI III II - you also need the i - that means the B chord. Otherwise, you will not be able to tell the nature of the progression. Most of the times, a modal progression begins with the chord derived from the scale step that dictates the mode. That would mean that this progression should look more like this: i VI III II or even better i II VI III wink.gif

Regarding the tension smile.gif It is more of an interval knowledge question - there are intervals which can solve phrases in a very fluid way or others which can create more tension and not release the phrase at all - I recommend you to read this thread for more ideas on the matter:

http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry644329

And yes, try the modes in the parallel but also in the derivative way biggrin.gif In that way, you will become even more knowledgeable wink.gif I am SO glad you understand these things biggrin.gif Really!!

Hey Cosmin, how was your weekend? Or is it not over yet?
Our week starts on Sunday, so mine is unfortunaly over sad.gif

It confuses me. If I'm playing 7 different modal vamps, what differs them from one another if they should start with the "nature of the progression" meaning the root notes chord? I don't really know if I'm sure how to make 7 different modal vamps.

It's a bit much, I'm sure you know. 6 different string, 7 different modes, parallel, derivative. I think I'll just begin with the first few
modes, in a parallel way, string by string. What do you think?

I'll try and upload some takes tomorrow, or in 2 days.
Cosmin Lupu
Brooooo biggrin.gif Take it easyyy biggrin.gif This is not something that you achieve over night smile.gif

For instance - famous Dorian progression found in Michael Jackson's 'Billie Jean': Em F#m Gmaj F#m

This progression is a typical E Dorian progression - that means it has D major as a mother scale - try it on smile.gif

Starting as you stated is very good - no rush, give yourself time to assimilate - you've seen how nice it goes smile.gif

Let's hear the recordings wink.gif

QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Feb 2 2014, 01:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin, how was your weekend? Or is it not over yet?
Our week starts on Sunday, so mine is unfortunaly over sad.gif

It confuses me. If I'm playing 7 different modal vamps, what differs them from one another if they should start with the "nature of the progression" meaning the root notes chord? I don't really know if I'm sure how to make 7 different modal vamps.

It's a bit much, I'm sure you know. 6 different string, 7 different modes, parallel, derivative. I think I'll just begin with the first few
modes, in a parallel way, string by string. What do you think?

I'll try and upload some takes tomorrow, or in 2 days.

Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin.

Yeah you're right, I need to take my time with that.

I still have some questions.

-A modal vamp must revolve around the modes note? And begin with it? Meaning G Ionian, A Dorian, D Mixolydian etc...

-I tried to come up with a Locrian modal vamp, everything sounds.. uhm.. odd? I like diminished chords in the end of a progression,
not in the beginning of it. Can you give me an example of a Locrian modal vamp?

-And generally, when playing on one string, in a derivative way, when I'm switching modes I'm still playing the same intervals,
which are in the same place, only now referring to my new "base note"?
I mean I played G Ionian on the 1st string, and then played A Dorian on the 1st string. It looks the same, doesn't it? Just needs
to be handled differently?

Thanks!
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man smile.gif

Let's take things at a time:

1) Yes, usually if you want a modal vamp, it's common to use the chord derived from the mode's first note in the beginning.

2) Sure thing - there's a trick here wink.gif Start with a m7b5 type chord as it's mellower than the diminished

I recommend this lesson for a good example regarding vamps: http://www.guitarmasterclass.net/rhythm-gu...-chords-lesson/

3) EXACTLY smile.gif Phrase by highlighting the characteristic scale degree of each mode over the afferent progression and things will fall into place.

I like your questions - it shows you are really paying attention to details and you are interested in learning for real! Keep rocking, man!
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin!

I don't know why, but I only played the first three strings, on the first three modes.
I feel that I need to understand the meaning of "highlighting the characteristic of different modes".

So I recorded myself playing a little over a B Phrygian vamp, with one finger, starting with the 1st string, then moving up to the 2nd string. I also recorded myself playing the Brazilian Choro lesson by Andre Nieri, over the slowest backing track he provided, 95BPM.
I know I have timing issues, mainly because my fingers are still adjusting to that style of playing. And of course the diminished arpeggio part, which I'm getting better at, but still screwing it up tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/brazilian-choro-95bpm
*I'm practicing it on a slower tempo than that.

https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/b-phrygian-1st-2nd-string
Cosmin Lupu
Mate - the B Phrygian sounds amazing, BUT it doesn't sound Phrygian tongue.gif Can you please tell me what chords you used and what notes you aimed for? This is exactly the best example we need to discuss in order for you to understand how to highlight the characteristics of modes smile.gif

The Choro is well interpreted and I can see you have a nice feeling for this sort of music, but it needs time I guess, in order to come out perfectly.

QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Feb 4 2014, 03:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Cosmin!

I don't know why, but I only played the first three strings, on the first three modes.
I feel that I need to understand the meaning of "highlighting the characteristic of different modes".

So I recorded myself playing a little over a B Phrygian vamp, with one finger, starting with the 1st string, then moving up to the 2nd string. I also recorded myself playing the Brazilian Choro lesson by Andre Nieri, over the slowest backing track he provided, 95BPM.
I know I have timing issues, mainly because my fingers are still adjusting to that style of playing. And of course the diminished arpeggio part, which I'm getting better at, but still screwing it up tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/brazilian-choro-95bpm
*I'm practicing it on a slower tempo than that.

https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/b-phrygian-1st-2nd-string

Amitai Kedmi
I played over B Phrygian i IV VII III VII |BM|EM|AM|D|G|.
And yeah, that's why I said that I'm trying to understand what's going on. It's confusing.
The notes I played are B C D E F# G A.
Cosmin Lupu
QUOTE (Amitai Kedmi @ Feb 4 2014, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I played over B Phrygian i IV VII III VII |BM|EM|AM|D|G|.
And yeah, that's why I said that I'm trying to understand what's going on. It's confusing.
The notes I played are B C D E F# G A.

Bro smile.gif B Phrygian means: B C D E F# G A B - having G major as a the mother scale smile.gif What is B major doing there? If you harmonize the B Phrygian mode - you get Bm Cmaj Dmaj Em F#dim Gmaj Am

The i IV VII III VII progression is actually i iv vii III vii that means Bm Em Am Dmaj Am smile.gif Try these chords and play by emphasizing the B and C notes wink.gif
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin! Good morning.

I thought about a solution to me not quite understanding the way the Phrygian is supposed to sound.
So I went to youtube, typed Phrygian and saw a video there of someone playing it. I think I got it.

It really reminded me of something Arabic/minor harmonic. So I quickly recorded a middle easternish progression.
It was all done very quickly since I was half asleep already. So consider this when you listen (after I uploaded it I realized the timing on some
parts was terrible). But I guess the handling of the Phrygian is more important here than timing haha tongue.gif

https://soundcloud.com/amitaik/b-phrygian-2
The first part is played with one finger, on the 1st string.
The second part is played with one finger, on the 2nd string.
On the last part I just did whatever I wanted at the time.

As for your last message -
I actually ment i iv vii III vi. But anyways I couldn't play over it with a Phrygian feel, it wasn't right for it.

And about the progression you suggested - Dmaj is D major 7 right? And if so why is it there? Isn't it supposed to be D or D7?
From what I know, G Ionian - G Am Bm C D Em F#dim G,
so wouldn't B Phrygian be - Bm C D Em F#dim G Am Bm ?

I also wanted to thank you for all your help. It isn't taken for granted. Much appreciated! smile.gif
Cosmin Lupu
Hey man - no worries biggrin.gif

Your assumptions are correct and the D major is either D major either D7 smile.gif It can be both - don't forget that you can harmonize the scale, using only triads and not necessarily 7th chords.

The progression you recorded is very good and the ideas as well! wink.gif You understood things but you need to be certain of what you are doing. Let me know which is the actual unknown element to you at this exact point and we shall sort it out wink.gif Work on the timing to make things shine!
Amitai Kedmi
Hey Cosmin!

What do you mean by harmonizing the scale using traids?

I think that what is still a big mystery to me is the scales characteristic itself. I'm not familiar with the different sounds of each mode, and this is exactly what we're doing here, I guess. It's easier for me to play a certain mode in a vertical way, because then I see it as a seperate scale. When I play a mode in a horizontal way, I can't ignore the fact that it's basicaly the Ionian mode. But it's a barrier I want to break through.

Should I move on to the next few modes to get a more general feel for them, or should I stick with the first couple to get a more complete understanding of them? There's time and I'm not in a rush, but it frustrates me on some level tongue.gif

Thanks!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.