2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What Soundcard/interface Do You Use?
Todd Simpson
Jan 6 2015, 08:50 AM
GMC:er
Most folks seem to use something with one or two XLR inputs as most folks don't mic more than than in a home recording setting. I must admit that having 8 preamps / xlr inputs in my last interface device was a bit of overkill and most of them were empty most of the time.

I did record using 4 mics at one point, but honestly, it's easier to get workable tones for a guitar to be mixed using software/plugins these days smile.gif So I sold my 16channel mixer (presonus 16.0.2)

Now I"m wanting something else that's probably too big!!

This looks very cool smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mith
Jan 6 2015, 12:18 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I'm using a M-Audio 2626, love the thing. I actually want to pick up another 8 Channel and connect it optically. But for now it is more than enough

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I love every minute of it

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2015, 12:05 AM
Looks like a nice bit of kit! smile.gif I do miss having the faders and EQ right there on the board to tweak on input. I know one can do such in software, but during tracking it's handy to have some knobs and buttons smile.gif

QUOTE (Mith @ Jan 6 2015, 07:18 AM) *
I'm using a M-Audio 2626, love the thing. I actually want to pick up another 8 Channel and connect it optically. But for now it is more than enough

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Jan 7 2015, 12:09 AM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I use my trusty old Line6 UX2 interface. Even though its showing signs of age due to massive use over the years, I just love it smile.gif

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2015, 12:24 AM
GMC Founder
Apogee duet, I want to save every inch of space on my desk!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2015, 12:38 AM
My interface takes ZERO SPACE ON MY DESK!! smile.gif It lives in my rack!!!!

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 6 2015, 07:24 PM) *
Apogee duet, I want to save every inch of space on my desk!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 7 2015, 12:48 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 7 2015, 12:38 AM) *
My interface takes ZERO SPACE ON MY DESK!! smile.gif It lives in my rack!!!!

Ok, I need mine close at hand since I constantly adjust the volume when working. Here's how it looks right now:

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2015, 01:23 AM
Mine is directly to my right. So I can reach it with ease and see the display. I"m using my 11 Rack as my audio interface and it's working well so far wink.gif It's basically a pro tools front end. The large volume knob on the 11 is handy for sure.

You can see it behind me here from vid chat. It's on top of the rack where the mixer used to be.

Attached Image

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 6 2015, 07:48 PM) *
Ok, I need mine close at hand since I constantly adjust the volume when working. Here's how it looks right now:

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 7 2015, 08:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
I finally bought last month Presonus Firestudio Project. I still doing some tests because with the holidays I didn't have time at all (also I thought that Darek will be as busy as me in December....hahaha biggrin.gif ) and anyway I waited because this month I will also make an upgrade in my PC.
But until now I'm more than happy with my new acquisition smile.gif I don't have any conflict between Poulin VST and Presonus and this is one of the reason why I made this step.

+Quote Post
Mith
Jan 7 2015, 09:13 AM
With such low noise floors on even the cheapest of new interfaces tracking volume has become less and less of a issue. What I do is workout the loudest signal I expect to record set the input so its around 80% of the way to 0db. Everything else is done afterwards and I actually make 2 separate headphone mixes. one for my monitors and headphones and one extra for whoever is recording.

Tho since like you Todd I tend to use mostly amp modeling I have all my patches setup so at max volume it will never clip.

QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 7 2015, 07:05 AM) *
Looks like a nice bit of kit! smile.gif I do miss having the faders and EQ right there on the board to tweak on input. I know one can do such in software, but during tracking it's handy to have some knobs and buttons smile.gif

Also I have always recommended musicians learn a little about recording and mixing. Noting crazy advanced but understanding signal chains and how to mix properly with EQ's and compressors. I think it makes better musicians and helps musicians express their music better and make it more refined (or musically unrefined if thats your thing)

--------------------

+Quote Post
benetom
Jan 7 2015, 09:30 AM
I use DIgitech GSP 1101 multiefect through its USB out interface. Also I have Line 6 Sonic Port for recording on my iPad and Alesis USB to guitar jack cable. They all work pretty well biggrin.gif

The music apps scene on IOS devices (iPhone, Ipad) is just awesome. YOu guys should check it out. DAWS, guitar multieffects, drums, synths, vocal apps, effects, MIDI stuff....you name it...tons of stuff to check out. I have bought like 100 musical apps so far (yes I am an addict) and some are really awesome.

If some one is interested I am providing some cool links for IOS musical apps:

Discchord

Musicappblog

This post has been edited by benetom: Jan 7 2015, 09:31 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2015, 12:02 AM
BINGO!! There is a 48 TRACK DAW that supports wads of plugins/emulators and it runs in iPad!! Called AURIA. It's my go to app when I'm tracking stuff that I plan to use in weekend vid chats. Very handy, just turn it on and bam your recording. Also supports a version of OVERLOUD which is great for guitar folks smile.gif Only fifty bux in the app store, but of course you gotta have an ipad which almost nobody does it seems here @ GMC? I'm not sure why, maybe everybody is ANDROID fans!

QUOTE (benetom @ Jan 7 2015, 04:30 AM) *
I use DIgitech GSP 1101 multiefect through its USB out interface. Also I have Line 6 Sonic Port for recording on my iPad and Alesis USB to guitar jack cable. They all work pretty well biggrin.gif

The music apps scene on IOS devices (iPhone, Ipad) is just awesome. YOu guys should check it out. DAWS, guitar multieffects, drums, synths, vocal apps, effects, MIDI stuff....you name it...tons of stuff to check out. I have bought like 100 musical apps so far (yes I am an addict) and some are really awesome.

If some one is interested I am providing some cool links for IOS musical apps:

Discchord

Musicappblog

+Quote Post
dcz702
Jan 9 2015, 04:45 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
i use a m audio profire 610.
A mic/Inst input is a XLR input, correct? i have 2 of those on my interface. i use one of those from the emultaed output of a blackstar amp into the input of my interface, lets my play complety silent and just use headphones or my monitors, pretty sweet.

Todd, can you talk to me about rackmount effects processors. i know you like the eleven rack and know the peice of gear well.
im selling my blackstar amp, because i mostly use it just for the emulated out and almost never use the amp volume coming out of the cab, its only used for recording, i use a mesa for my main amp, so to craigslist my blackstar is going. wanted to sell it for money towards a guitar effects proccesor, would love a axe fx but its to much and i just have a simple home studio.

i was thinking about the line 6 pod hd pro x
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Pod...CFciEfgodsJoA0A
since we are talking about interfaces, how is this used? i noticed on the back of this line 6 unit there are two balanced outputs, and two unbalanced outputs, left and right for both. So do i keep my m audio profire interface and use xlr cables from the out of the line6 then to the in of my interface using both left and right outs and ins?
or would you just plug right into you computer using the line 6 usb?
what is the balanced and unbalanced outs for whats the difference and what should be used with my rig?

+Quote Post
Mith
Jan 9 2015, 05:10 AM
What you have there is a combination input. (your 610 is kinda like the baby brother to my 2626) you can plug a XLR cable into it and it will go through the Mic pre amp. or you can put a instrument cable straight in (normally called a TR for unbalanced or a TRS for balanced XLR is pretty much always balanced)

The idea behind all this is when you record you want to get things to what they call "Line level" which in most cases is as close to 0db without going over. Microphones have very little output so they go through a small amp to boost it before it gets recorded (pre amp) But there are alot of things that can put out high signals such as the POD and the Eleven Rack. The idea here is to go in through a TRS which will bypass the pre-amp. Best way to remember is Balanced signals (TRS and XLR) are always better than unbalanced signals and everything needs to go through a pre-amp to get it to the right level (PODs and Eleven racks are guitar pre amps) Hopefully that made sense since it does touch quiet a few in depth topics

As for the POD HD Pro, I have one (The first one not the slightly better X) and I like it. I do find I hit the DSP limit a bit easy but the X has a little bit more. The thing I would recomend is the 500 model its cheaper and has its own floor pedal and internally its exsactly the same as the Pro which you will pay more for then you need to buy the controller then you need to buy a rack (but in say that rack gear is easier to store and move.

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jan 9 2015, 11:45 AM) *
A mic/Inst input is a XLR input, correct? i have 2 of those on my interface. i use one of those from the emultaed output of a blackstar amp into the input of my interface, lets my play complety silent and just use headphones or my monitors, pretty sweet.

Todd, can you talk to me about rackmount effects processors. i know you like the eleven rack and know the peice of gear well.
im selling my blackstar amp, because i mostly use it just for the emulated out and almost never use the amp volume coming out of the cab, its only used for recording, i use a mesa for my main amp, so to craigslist my blackstar is going. wanted to sell it for money towards a guitar effects proccesor, would love a axe fx but its to much and i just have a simple home studio.

since we are talking about interfaces, how is this used? i noticed on the back of this line 6 unit there are two balanced outputs, and two unbalanced outputs, left and right for both. So do i keep my m audio profire interface and use xlr cables from the out of the line6 then to the in of my interface using both left and right outs and ins?
what is the balanced and unbalanced outs for whats the difference and what should be used with my rig?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jan 9 2015, 11:05 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Depends what you mean by interface Todd. We use a Prism Sound Orpheus here attached to a Crane Song Avocet II here and Dangerous Music Liasion here

The Orpheus is 8 channel analogue and digital i/o and acts as our f/w interface for our DAW and convertor to the Dangerous. The Dangerous routes and switches all our analogue hardware. The Cranesong is our monitor controller and is fed from the Dangerous and the DAW and runs out to two sets of monitors so we can tap the signal at various points (DAW input, signal pre analogue switcher, signal post analogue, signal DAW out).

All the equipment is properly analogue gainstaged and calibrated as a K14 set up. Analogue is connected as balanced XLRs, digital is f/w and AES/EBU.

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Dieterle
Jan 9 2015, 11:27 AM
The first One i bought is ZOOM G3 and i didnt change it yet.

I future, when i need a new mac i am thinking about buying apogee Duet or Gio not sure yet .

+Quote Post
benetom
Jan 9 2015, 12:11 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 8 2015, 11:02 PM) *
BINGO!! There is a 48 TRACK DAW that supports wads of plugins/emulators and it runs in iPad!! Called AURIA. It's my go to app when I'm tracking stuff that I plan to use in weekend vid chats. Very handy, just turn it on and bam your recording. Also supports a version of OVERLOUD which is great for guitar folks smile.gif Only fifty bux in the app store, but of course you gotta have an ipad which almost nobody does it seems here @ GMC? I'm not sure why, maybe everybody is ANDROID fans!

BINGO back Todd biggrin.gif
FOr guys and gals who don`t know what is "going on" in IOS world (iPhone, iPad & mini,iPod Touch in this case)

Even Steinberg has an app called Cubasis on iPad/iPad mini. It is like a little brother of big ass Cubase biggrin.gif
On IOS system there is an alfa&omega app called Audiobus which connects all music app on that system...its like a VST connector, input -output router.... Apple has similar thing called IAA.

You mentioned Auria, so you can use Audiobus to feed Auria with external apps like JamUp, BIAS ( same thing as for PC world ), Amplitube, ToneSTack, AMpOne, Line 6 Mobile Pod...I just mentined guitar apps at this moment...But it works the same way fro all apps (effects, synths MIDI Stuff, drum machines). Routing inputs and outputs from apps is also very flexible.
Theer are tons of notation apps. I use my iPad mini as a songbook in a band of 4. We all have iPads and I control them all at once through wifi connection.

You can even use Ipad/iPhone as a live multieffect unit if you need to. IK Multimedia has built bluetooth footcontroler which worsk with all those apps.

If someone wants to check out some very usefull apps I will mention them here:

DAWS: Cubasis, Auria, ...
Guitar multiefects: JamuUp PRO, ToneStack, Amplitube, Bias, AmpOne, MObilePod...
Synths: Arturia iSEM, Thor, Galileo, iMini, Sunrizer, Magellan, iProphet, Nave, Animoog, Jordantron, Mitosynth, ....
Drums: Drumjam, Stohastih, Drums XD, Drum Perfect, Rock DM, iMPC Pro, Different Drummer,....
Midi stuff: Chordbot, Polychord, Arp PRO, Chordion, Midi Designer PRO, MIDImorphosis,...
Effects/stuff: Mastering, Audioshare, Echo Pad, MasterRecord, Final Touch, .....
Alpha & Omega biggrin.gif : AUDIOBUS to connect all mentioned apps together in a whole music production system

CHeck them out guys and gals biggrin.gif

The latency on later devices is almost non-existant biggrin.gif On ANdroid......huge hue latency problems. SO Android is a no go at this point :/

One can ofc attach numerous MIDI capable devices to iPad/iPhone to play/control synths,apps,....so it is like having a big phat, with VST plugins equipped PC in a small format with you, everywhere you go biggrin.gif

Greetings to you rockers biggrin.gif !

This post has been edited by benetom: Jan 9 2015, 12:14 PM

+Quote Post
benetom
Jan 9 2015, 12:45 PM
Here are some interesting videos using varoius apps for Apple devices I mentioned in upper post :

Positive Grid JamUp/Bias, Audiobus and Garageband goes metal.

Amplitube guitar multieffect app.

ToneStack guitar multieffect app.

Mark Holcomb of Periphery on JamUp and BIAS by Positive Grid

Jordantron/SampleWiz + ToneStack FX recorded directly to Jammit
Dream Theater cover

This post has been edited by benetom: Jan 9 2015, 12:59 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 13 2015, 07:55 AM
Todd here wink.gif I'd say try both units and see which one your ears tell you to buy smile.gif Who knows? You may prefer the POD HD! It's got to make you happy after all smile.gif

Personally, I"d say go ahead and get the 11 rack. The pod has GREAT effects, but the amp models, especially the high gain ones, didn't impress me as much as the 11. You can always add a cheaper pod, like a used POD XT (which has all the update packs of the entire line before the HD) and use it in the FX loop of your 11 rack if you want more fx. smile.gif

Both the POD HD and the 11 rack have BUILT IN AUDIO INTERFACES smile.gif SO you just connect via USB and you get stereo recording. You can skip your current interface entirely. smile.gif

Balanced outs are better for longer cable runs. But from what I've ready, you don't need to worry about it. Just plug in USB smile.gif

QUOTE (dcz702 @ Jan 8 2015, 11:45 PM) *

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2015, 03:56 PM
Wanted to post back as this subject came up again in another post. smile.gif There is a FREEE MULTITRACK APP for iphone called MTSR which is very handy!!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/multi-track...d390599090?mt=8

As was mentioned, the reason IPHONE is used for RECORDING and ANDROID is NOT is simply that the iphone is a closed system with low latency. Android is a open system and latency varies wildly. The android platform can be used for music stuff, but it's just not become as popular simply because there are so many different android devices that all perform differently.

Mobile platforms are exploding in popularity and for many folks, the iphone is their computer/studio/phone/etc. It's everything in one device. The good news is that the iphone and ipad makes a great recording platform. GARAGE BAND is a full featured DAW on mobile and AURIA can go head to head with any DAW out there IMHO including REAPER and LOGIC and PRO TOOLS.

If I were debating between a cheap laptop and a first gen ipad for recording, I'd skip the laptop and get the ipad. More portable, killer apps that don't exist on any other platform, low cost compared to laptop that can run reaper without latency, and a touch screen smile.gif

QUOTE (benetom @ Jan 9 2015, 07:11 AM) *
BINGO back Todd biggrin.gif
FOr guys and gals who don`t know what is "going on" in IOS world (iPhone, iPad & mini,iPod Touch in this case)

Even ..gins equipped PC in a small format with you, everywhere you go biggrin.gif

Greetings to you rockers biggrin.gif !

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th March 2024 - 09:05 AM