Musicality As The Number 1 Priority...
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 30 2012, 05:02 PM
Instructor
Hey guys! Let me share this cool video by the great Guthrie where he explains his approach to learn the modes without losing musicality. He basically uses the Pentatonic Scale shapes as the basic structure and then adds the other two notes.

this is the example that you'll fin in the video:

After some ideas that he shows to explain why you will learn the scales in a musical way he says that you can do the same with Pentatonic minor for the 3 minor modes and Pentatonic Major with the 3 major chords.

Minor modes:

Dorian Mode: Pentatonic minor + M2 & M6
Phygian Mode + m2 & m6
Aeolian Mode + M2 & m6

Major modes:

Ionian Mode: Pentatonic Major + P4 & M7
Lydian Mode: Pentatonic Major + A4 & M7
Moxolydian Mode: Pentatonic Major + P4 & m7

Guthrie says that the other mode is horrible so it doesn't matter... tongue.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jan 30 2012, 08:14 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 30 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Hey guys! Let me share this cool video by the great Guthrie where he explains his approach to learn the modes without losing musicality. He basically uses the Pentatonic Scale shapes as the basic structure and then adds the other two notes.

this is the example that you'll fin in the video:

After some ideas that he shows to explain why you will learn the scales in a musical way he says that you can do the same with Pentatonic minor for the 3 minor modes and Pentatonic Major with the 3 major chords.

Minor modes:

Dorian Mode: Pentatonic minor + M2 & M6
Phygian Mode + m2 & m6
Aeolian Mode + M2 & m6

Major modes:

Ionian Mode: Pentatonic Major + P4 & M7
Lydian Mode: Pentatonic Major + A4 & M7
Moxolydian Mode: Pentatonic Major + P4 & m7

Guthrie says that the other mode is horrible so it doesn't matter... tongue.gif

It's a great lesson! We were just talking about this on my video chat! How funny!
But it's a great concept and it is definitely working!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 30 2012, 08:34 PM
Instructor
This is excellent approach, the very same I'm using. Pentatonic scale serves as some type of "template", but it's always important to pentatonic extremely well before moving to this concept.

Harmonic and melodic minor scales are a bit different but I tend to look at them through pentatonic "lens" too.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Daniel Realpe
Jan 30 2012, 09:00 PM
Instructor
He's such a great teacher. I love the way he just goes to the point of what he's talking about. That makes way more effective for us the students.

Instead of breaking down every single detail of it, just trigger the type of knowledge that will break down the "uncomformity" and lay it down,

I love this approach to modes. I really use it a lot myself. But I agree with Ivan, you really have to know your pentatonic and major scale upside down, not only in shapes but also interval-wise...what are they compressed of, and how do they happen naturally

--------------------
Visit my:
INSTRUCTOR PROFILE

"If a composer could say what he had to say in words he would not bother trying to say it in music."
Gustav Mahler

Subscribe to my Youtube Channel here

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 31 2012, 12:51 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 30 2012, 04:34 PM) *
This is excellent approach, the very same I'm using. Pentatonic scale serves as some type of "template", but it's always important to pentatonic extremely well before moving to this concept.

Harmonic and melodic minor scales are a bit different but I tend to look at them through pentatonic "lens" too.

yes! and I also think that knowing the major and minor triads is also really helpful for this approach.

Check out this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/dorian...ed-with-triads/

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jan 31 2012, 11:59 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 31 2012, 12:51 AM) *
yes! and I also think that knowing the major and minor triads is also really helpful for this approach.

Check out this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/dorian...ed-with-triads/

Very cool and systematic way of doing these.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 1 2012, 04:35 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jan 31 2012, 07:59 PM) *
Very cool and systematic way of doing these.

yeah! it's a good way to understand exactly the structure of every scale,,, at the same time it's a good training for chord melody.

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Feb 1 2012, 09:47 AM
Instructor
I agree with you guys biggrin.gif

Well, I was really astounded when back in 2009, at Guthrie's clinic, he explained the essence of guitar playing with examples and all in about 30 minutes laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:23 PM