2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Fender Road Worn 50's, Black !
Keilnoth
Nov 25 2009, 08:23 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
I tried this one tonight :

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0131012306

I must say I really like it. I have a Ibanez RG270 and I am looking for an update, more in the blues / jazz rock style. smile.gif

Do you bring your own amp when you go try guitars ? Because the salesman plugged me in a 3'000$ Marshall amp so the sound is probably not going to be the same on my 500$ Peavey. tongue.gif

Anyway, what do you think about the Fender ?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

My Guitars: Fender Stratocaster Billy Corgan Signature, Ibanez RG270
My Amp: Peavey Bandit 112
My Pedals: Blackstar HT-Dual, Boss DD-7, Boss CS-3, Boss RC-20
My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mhskeide
Nov 25 2009, 08:25 PM
Accomplished Tone Guru
I would rather try buying a second hand, but higher-end fender on eBay or something smile.gif
I`m neither to fuzzy about the road worn series, I want to wear it out myself tongue.gif

But for jazz, wouldnt it be an advantage to have a humbucker in the neck for a bit fatter and warmer tone? Guess it depends a bit on the desired jazz tone as well, but I like humbuckers for jazz at least smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Take your music seriously, but not yourself

+Quote Post
Fran
Nov 25 2009, 09:18 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
I'm biased because I love strats. Never tried that one though, but as long as the neck feels good and the pups deliver the sound you look for, you can't go wrong smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 25 2009, 09:29 PM
GMC:er
I changed my response, was not thinking correctly. I blame a flawed network of neural synapses. However the brain fixes that kind of thing if you correct your behavior, so it is less likely to occur in the future, so here is my correction.

It might be a good thing. I have a 58 Gibson LP reissue, and I love it more than any of my other 7 guitars. Much more. It was built to 58 specs. It had some aging done to it, but not as much as that fender seems to have. But I did not buy it for the aging, I bought it to have a guitar built to 50's specs. Although it is different in one way, they did not stay with 58 style frets, nobody today wants those. Other than that it is just like a 58, probably better than most, built in the same way, and I love it.

You may feel the same about the Fender. I would go to the Fender forum (not at Fender, there is a public forum, I forget the name) and see how Fender users feel about this guitar. When I bought my Gibson reissue, most of those guys loved the reissues, and that is what convinced me. I don't regret it, I love my guitar.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 25 2009, 09:57 PM

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 25 2009, 09:46 PM
Learning Tone Master
If You want a Tex-Mex Strat i'd rather go for the classic player, since it has better trem and a straighter radius on the neck, the difference is about 200 bucks.... Otherwise I wouldn't recommend Fender at all, since You can get a Fender-style guitar from another manufactorer with a much higher quality for the same money. Unless You want to pay for the brand.....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
fkalich
Nov 25 2009, 10:16 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 25 2009, 03:46 PM) *
If You want a Tex-Mex Strat i'd rather go for the classic player, since it has better trem and a straighter radius on the neck, the difference is about 200 bucks.... Otherwise I wouldn't recommend Fender at all, since You can get a Fender-style guitar from another manufactorer with a much higher quality for the same money. Unless You want to pay for the brand.....

//Staffay

I expect that the determining factor in the choice of the pickups was that these are the current issue which most closely resemble the 50's pickups. I know Gibson has followed this practice in their reissues. Regarding your last line, now I am a Gibson man, but regarding Fender, not everyone feels the same as you about them. If nothing else, they support their American product very well, I know that for a fact. Not sure you can say that about everybody.

However, I would prefer a 12 radius, I agree with that. One has to raise the top E string a bit higher than I would like with the 9 radius. I would get a standard Strat if you want a Strat. Actually I have one. Look for a good deal used, they are pretty indestructible, ship well. Just make sure the truss rod works well. A lot of guys do that, and then mod it. If I played a guitar like that, I would want a Strat I think, just because I wanted it, and that would be enough. I like the name. Nothing wrong with that. It just feels good. Artists should go with what feels good, regardless of logic.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Nov 25 2009, 10:21 PM

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 25 2009, 10:30 PM
What's that neck radius story ?

--------------------

My Wishlist: New bridge + Pickups for my Ibanez, EHX POG2, EHX Cathedral / Holy Grail

+Quote Post
Bogdan Radovic
Nov 25 2009, 10:42 PM
Bass & Beginner Instructor
I think you should try more fenders in the store to have a good comparison and see which one you like the best. Road worn series can be cool but I never found any value in new guitars being "damaged intentionally" in the factory. American Fender Strat is a must have guitar for everybody, just try to find one that suits you best - its a wide choice.

--------------------
For GMC support please email support (at) guitarmasterclass.net
Check out my lessons and my instructor board.
Check out my beginner guitar lessons course! ; Take a bass course now!

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 25 2009, 11:45 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 25 2009, 10:30 PM) *
What's that neck radius story ?

Classic Players has 12' radius and the Roadworn has the classic 9' radius which make the bends touch the next fret on the fingerboard........... (eg. its more curved) and a straighter radius would be easier to play and is pretty much standard on all new guitars. Also is the neck of the 50's Roadworn a lot thicker than the 60's one's Classic Player.

//Staffay

QUOTE (fkalich @ Nov 25 2009, 10:16 PM) *
If nothing else, they support their American product very well, I know that for a fact. Not sure you can say that about everybody.

Artists should go with what feels good, regardless of logic.

Yeah, I must admit that the support is good. But as You can see in my signature I think 8.000 is ridiculous for a Masterbuilt Strat when You can have a luthier build Your own custom-made guitar (like an old strat, for instance) for about 1500-2000 bucks..... Fender are good guitars, but not SO good....

I also give You right in that You should go for what feels good, thats the most important thing really. About Fenders I will give the advice to try several one's since they tends to be all different even that the model & production year is the same....

//Staffay

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 25 2009, 11:55 PM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 25 2009, 11:45 PM) *
... which make the bends touch the next fret on the fingerboard...

Aww, really ? That's bad... sad.gif

I tried some bends but perhaps not big enough. Damn, I need to try it again now !

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 26 2009, 12:07 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 25 2009, 11:55 PM) *
Aww, really ? That's bad... sad.gif

I tried some bends but perhaps not big enough. Damn, I need to try it again now !

Oooh, that maybe not be the fact if the frets are set up properly, and will occur only if You try to bend a third or more... Its really bout the playing style - some like these necks, others dont. I have rather small hands so all thick necks including Les Pauls 50's style doesnt fit my hands very well. Its actually a matter of taste mostly! :-)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 26 2009, 12:13 AM
But it's not even a 9' it's a 7.25'... so even smaller radius...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 26 2009, 12:20 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 26 2009, 12:13 AM) *
But it's not even a 9' it's a 7.25'... so even smaller radius...

Yeah... thats quite much, but Fender did the guitars that way in the 50's. But in fact it's easy, let Your hand be the judge!!! smile.gif

EDIT: The reason they made it that way was because they had an idea that barre' chord would be easier to play with a round radius, and no one really bended the strings back then anyway..... at least not any thirds... laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Staffy: Nov 26 2009, 12:25 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Hammerhead
Nov 26 2009, 01:22 AM
I love strats... It is the same for each of us that feels that feeling for a certain guitar, Les Paul or what ever. The sound of the guitar can easily be modified after purchase with new pick ups and of course pedals and the amp you play through. The neck radius will effect how you play the guitar but it does not stop you from bending as high as you wish, but you will need to raise your strings some, so that will effect the feel of you guitar. If you prefer to have all of your guitars set up with lower action, then look for a radius that is a bit bigger than the 50's (7.5 radius) But if you want proof of the performance of a small radius strat, check out this guy!

http://news.guitarworld.com/video/thomas_blug_strat_king/

He even has a model of his strat for sale (not made by Fender?) but by Wilkinson...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8g56r-5Dzw

So there you are, There is something magical about the strat.... Long Live the Strat!!!! cool.gif

--------------------
When I look down at my hands... I see "FINGERS of DOOM"

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Nov 26 2009, 01:58 AM
Instructor
i like this road worn series, it isn't the most comfortable guitar to play that's true, but come on strats are not easy to play anyway tongue.gif

if you like it buy it wink.gif, if you see a better one buy that one instead, just trust your ears, your hands and you eyes, a good looking guitar will motivate you to play it, and that's the important thing.

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 26 2009, 07:55 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Hammerhead @ Nov 26 2009, 01:22 AM) *
He even has a model of his strat for sale (not made by Fender?) but by Wilkinson...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8g56r-5Dzw

So there you are, There is something magical about the strat.... Long Live the Strat!!!! cool.gif

Wilkinsons are great!!! As You all may know I've owned a lot of strats including a 64' back in the old days and I really love these guitars. They have personality and no one is like the other, but I will also say that I dislike Fenders (and Gibsons) prize policy about their top-notch instruments. No craftmanship in the world will ever be worth the money they charge for the top-models, in my world a world-class guitar should not cost more than maybe 3.000, unless its gold-plated all over or something like that. Also, the vintage prizes is really ridiculous, I think both Fender and Gibson actually is building better guitars today than in the 50's since they have better tools and more skilled craftsmen in their production line. Anyway, there are other manufactorers like Wilkinson, Suhr etc. that makes top-notch instruments that look like Fenders a lot cheaper and I would rather go for that imo. But on the other hand - a Fender is always a Fender... smile.gif

//Staffay

QUOTE (Adrian Figallo @ Nov 26 2009, 01:58 AM) *
i like this road worn series, it isn't the most comfortable guitar to play that's true, but come on strats are not easy to play anyway tongue.gif

Nah, that we all know.... laugh.gif I guess that the fact that the guitar is kicking back is why I love them....

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
jdriver
Nov 26 2009, 08:17 AM
QUOTE (Staffy @ Nov 26 2009, 12:55 AM) *
Wilkinsons are great!!! As You all may know I've owned a lot of strats including a 64' back in the old days and I really love these guitars. They have personality and no one is like the other, but I will also say that I dislike Fenders (and Gibsons) prize policy about their top-notch instruments. No craftmanship in the world will ever be worth the money they charge for the top-models, in my world a world-class guitar should not cost more than maybe 3.000, unless its gold-plated all over or something like that. Also, the vintage prizes is really ridiculous, I think both Fender and Gibson actually is building better guitars today than in the 50's since they have better tools and more skilled craftsmen in their production line. Anyway, there are other manufactorers like Wilkinson, Suhr etc. that makes top-notch instruments that look like Fenders a lot cheaper and I would rather go for that imo. But on the other hand - a Fender is always a Fender... smile.gif

//Staffay

I'm really not getting the point you're trying to make here. What Fender guitar are you looking at that costs $8000 and why would you be looking at it? As you said, a world class guitar should be maybe $3000, so obviously anything more is for some un-quantifiable property. There's nothing left of a mystery about how to build a strat type guitar, I don't think my $1300 American Deluxe is twice as good as a $600 Mexi-strat, possibly it's no better at all, but it appears to my untrained eye and hand to be perfect in every detail so I don't know how one could complain about the quality of the product. There are people who will think the higher the price it must be better, no matter how high the price. You are not one of those people, you know what's good and what it should cost, but you seem to be resenting the fact that Fender sells an $8000 guitar and you don't think it should cost that much.

I am not meaning to sound strident here, I really do want to understand where you're coming from with this line of comments.

--------------------
"I dreamed a lot when I was younger..
I'm older now but still I hunger
For some understanding.
There's no understanding, now.
Was there ever?

...Joe Puerta (Ambrosia)...

Finally got a YouTube page going.

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 27 2009, 10:44 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (jdriver @ Nov 26 2009, 08:17 AM) *
I'm really not getting the point you're trying to make here. What Fender guitar are you looking at that costs $8000 and why would you be looking at it? As you said, a world class guitar should be maybe $3000, so obviously anything more is for some un-quantifiable property. There's nothing left of a mystery about how to build a strat type guitar, I don't think my $1300 American Deluxe is twice as good as a $600 Mexi-strat, possibly it's no better at all, but it appears to my untrained eye and hand to be perfect in every detail so I don't know how one could complain about the quality of the product. There are people who will think the higher the price it must be better, no matter how high the price. You are not one of those people, you know what's good and what it should cost, but you seem to be resenting the fact that Fender sells an $8000 guitar and you don't think it should cost that much.

I am not meaning to sound strident here, I really do want to understand where you're coming from with this line of comments.

Before I bought my latest Strat (a Suhr strat actually), I was around at 4 music stores in both Copenhagen and here in Sweden comparing different Strats that supposed to be "top-notch", out of some 15 ones I found 2 that was really great both soundwise and play-wise. One of them was a masterbuilt that costed 6.500€ and the other one was a Mark Knopler signature for about 2000€. The latter one I consider as a "lucky-shot" since none of the other signatures I've tried had the same sound. I've tried all of them on the same amp I have in my home. I definitely not saying that the higher the prize - the better will the quality be. You can get a good guitar for 200$.... And since I owned at least 10 real Fenders and numerous other Fender-like guitars including some vintage one's + played the guitar for almost 40 years, I think I know what I'm talking bout here. (I also built some by myself) To me, the logo on the headstock means nothing, Im just interested in good quality for the bucks. And as far I can see Fender does not deliver that, with some exceptions and specific guitars. (since the production line still after 60 years not can produce two similar guitars of the same model) When You are buying a Ibanez, Gibson or whatever, its easy - just to get them on Ebay. I would never buy a Fender without trying it, since there are so much bad items out there.... on the other hand You might be lucky as well.

Dont mis-interpret me here, I only think that a Masterbuilt shall cost about 3000$, a standard american around 1000$ and a Tex-Mex around 500$. That will make Fenders prize-setting on par with the other manufactorers (except Gibson, who also have the same ridiculous prizes based on their brand). As i stated before, I recently bought a Suhr strat for 2.900€ and no Fender in this prize-range will ever come close. Then it has to be a Masterbuilt and there's also a reason for Fender putting this label on their top-notch instruments - they ARE actually better than the standard instruments...

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post
Keilnoth
Nov 27 2009, 08:53 PM
And what about this one ?
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0115002806#

Olympic White obviously biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Staffy
Nov 27 2009, 11:53 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Keilnoth @ Nov 27 2009, 08:53 PM) *
And what about this one ?
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0115002806#

Olympic White obviously biggrin.gif

I think it looks really nice, haven't tried this one though... But its some good hardware they put on this one! smile.gif

//Staffay

--------------------

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:48 PM