> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Beginner Sweep Picking, Lesson By Darius Wave
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
5 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
6 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
7 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

fzalfa
Feb 2 2017, 08:36 AM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Beginner Sweep Picking by Darius Wave

This is my take about this nice lesson

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

<div align="left"> Yes, i love badges.....
</div>
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Feb 2 2017, 10:06 AM
Instructor
Hey there!

Thanx for choosing my lesson. Unfortunately I have some bad news. This is not actually a sweep motion sad.gif The problem with slow sweeps is that the tempo allows us to use typical pick "jumping". In your take it's more the jumping I mentioned. It's minimized but it's still different to sweep. Sweep is in fact pushing the pick until it falls on next string. It's important to practise it in such a slow tempo because it teaches us all the mechanics of sweeps. We need to remember to watch out for our habits to not take control over right hand (jumping pick).

In some particular sweep runs we have additional problem - one finger operating on two strings, on the same fret. The trick is to workout it's shaping so bychanging it's pressure point, we still make two string sound separated. It doesn't happen in this take. Try to fix this.

Final thought is little subjective but I was wondering aren't you making your life harder by replacing pinky with ring finger, on some "wide" runs on the top of the neck? Try to look at my video is see exactly which fingers I use. Maybe this could help you fin some more confort playing it.

Your overall timming, intonation and clarity are descent with just a few exceptions, but I can't give a good grade because of it not being a sweep motion sad.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Feb 2 2017, 09:03 PM
Instructor
Hi mate,

You already know my thoughts about this take (mentoring thread).

I think that there is room to make your right hand sweep smoother (remember the circular thing I've talked about at the MT) and to make everything sound cleaner and tighter, but this is a good take for this lesson.

Please continue practicing this one to feel more comfortable with the different parts, and also start working on a faster / more advanced sweep picking lesson since this will make you take your limit higher and then find this one easier.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Feb 7 2017, 11:58 AM
Instructor
Hi Laurent!

Listening to the take, the first thing I noticed was that you're probably using more distortion than you need to. If you were playing another piece or playing something at full tempo then you would do things according to your taste and distortion levels are a subjective thing. But this lesson is more of a technical study so it might help you to lower the gain levels so you can work better on eliminating unwanted string noises. This issue is most apparent when you play the lower strings.

You have a nice, relaxed pick angle but for sweeping you need to be prepared to mute much more than you do normally, though. So you may need to bring your hand closer to the strings to use your thumb to help mute the lower strings and the outside edge of the hand (pinky side) to help control the higher strings.

Timing is mostly good but with a few exceptions. It's a lot harder to keep a steady rhythm when sweeping at low speeds but if you can do it well at this speed then you'll have an advantage at the faster tempos.

As Darius said, you could improve the sweeping motion itself as much of it looks like separate strokes. I could be wrong because videos can be deceptive... but if you do need some technical reference points to help then check out this video smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Feb 8 2017, 09:37 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Almost there, 5

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 01:29 AM