> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Marty Mustaine Style Lesson, Lesson By Gabriel Leopardi
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 2 ] ** [66.67%]
7 [ 1 ] ** [33.33%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

Marek Rojewski
Jun 27 2015, 04:18 PM
Experienced Guitar Lord
Original lesson: Marty Mustaine Style Lesson by Gabriel Leopardi

Hello again on REC. As I promised, here is another lesson recorded by me, soon after the last ones.

[RANT]
Recording this one was a NIGHTMARE... My old camera started to break, often in the middle of a take it stopped recording and asked for tape to be inserted. That is one of the reasons why I have closed eyes and don't move much - I was already tired and frustrated:( Finally it broke, and for the first time in my life I used my mobile phone to record video. Unfortunately it saved in MP4 format, and Windows Movie Maker didn't recognize the file as video. So I downloaded some editor from Wonderworks, and of course it turned out, that the video had a "water mark" for the whole duration of the video. So - I downloaded another free editor, called VSDC and it worked finally, but it is difficult to use it, it is impossible to preview your work smoothly and the exporting process took few minutes each time I tried to sync audio and video...
[/RANT]

Anyway, ignoring the above rant I am happy to upload this lesson, which is one of my all time favourites, and I am relatively happy with the way this recording turned out.

I would also like to thanks Gabriel for helping me improve my tone for this recording via Private Messages - it would sound much worse without your help!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Marek Rojewski: Jun 27 2015, 04:20 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jun 28 2015, 02:15 AM
Instructor
Hi Marek! Great to see your video finally here!

I know that you've been working very hard to put this together and the final work is good. This is a very demanding lesson that combines many techniques at a high level. Your playing is tight, you go with the tempo and keep timing on the whole thing.

The only issues that I note is that some sweep picking licks and also some fast alternate picking passages are not clear enough or have note that aren't sounding. This means that you still need to practice these sections, isolate and incorporate them in your diary practice.

Your tone has improved a lot comparing this one with the first your send me but I still think that lowering some high frequencies and experimenting with the quantity of drive of both your amp and pedal could be a good idea... or maybe changing the amp, as I suggested in my last message.

Ok mate, keep on the hard work!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 29 2015, 10:10 AM
Instructor
Hi Marek, this is a great choice of lesson - very demanding!

Tone - one thing I noticed was hearing a bit of hiss during the main riff. This is usually a sign of high levels of distortion with a digital setup. I've experienced this many times. I turn up the gain to get more sustain but have to contend with that annoying hiss. Using a noise gate can help but then it sacrifices sustain on things like bending. So maybe turning the gain down might help remove some of that harshness. As Gab says, there's a bit of harsh top end, a kind of metallic sound. This also may be counteracted by rolling the gain down just a bit. If that doesn't work then it may be an EQ issue but try rolling the gain back first and see if it helps.

During the main riff you lose a bit of consistency and I think it's because Gab uses more down strokes during the E5/F5/E5 change. Try to copy the down stroke approach and it should help you keep that note velocity.

For the lead playing, your main issue seems to be coordination between the hands. You've got a very relaxed picking technique which I've mentioned many times before because I like it. So that leads me to assume that your fretting hand needs to catch up with your picking hand. I could be wrong but do have a look at your hand synch here. It would be interesting to know at what tempo they are tight at and when they begin to drift apart. Maybe a bit more practise at that threshold where they're being tested will help you cross over that hump. Good effort, sword brother!

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Jul 2 2015, 06:28 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Again challenging something at the very high level. Good to see you working on those top notch lessons.

At first - maybe it's worth to take a deep breath and retry to record it at the more comfortable time. I know how it's like when you're trying to record something hard and everything around falls apart, distracting you.

The beginning is tight but I hear tuning issues between open string and fretted note. I suppose it's not your playing fault, more guitar going out of tune while you try to fix all that breaks at the moment.

You are a skilled played but I'm sure you know there where some notes missing in those fast runs. First section of sweeps need most practice - some of those shapes are not reach full range (like missing to play last note) or some need better separation between notes. I'm sure you're completely concious of where exactly those spots are. I would like to hear your take recorded in more friendly conditions - I suppose there'll be already less of mentioned problems.

+Quote Post
Fran
Jul 5 2015, 01:39 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 6.3

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:25 PM