Hobo Blues Collab, UPLOADS & COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2010, 08:10 PM
Instructor
here you can post your takes for the collab! smile.gif

here's the main topic with backing track
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry467318

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 25 2010, 09:41 PM
Instructor
JamesT

Rhythm: You seem to have a solid understanding of the beat, and follow it nicely in highly syncopated manner. The thing with your take is that it is too syncopated, and there is hardly any anchor points where the notes can really relate to the kicking of the drum for instance. Although it is good to have this kind of non-structurized solo, there are certain places where it is good to accent the beat before your phrases go off.
Phrasing: By listening to you do your phrasing I can't help notice that it sounds repetitive. This is because several different movements with the pick have been rehearsed properly, and they are repeated over and over, in different positions and different pattern/shape. My advice to you is to start systematically go through various picking combinations so that you have more flexibility and ways to play something. Expanding lick vocabulary is a must too, so be sure to jamm some with the backing and make good licks. In the middle of the solo, there is a small improvisational attemp, you repeated the same lick several times, but altering the landing note. This kind of a method is well suited for improvisational exercise, so be sure to practice that as well on top of some simple backing with 1-3 chords. This is enhance your ability to use the licks you know in different situations.
Technique: As I said, more picking, more metronome practicing, arps, scales, chords. First the basics, then the rest. Bending/vibrato also needs work. Just take is step by step as always. There were also several whammy attempts, and although it sounded interesting, you need to tighten up that whammy a bit as well with the metronome.
Sound: Sound is pretty good, not a lot of reverb and delay, and amount of overdrive was OK. The tone was a bit flat tho.

Berglmir:

Rhythm: Excellent connection of the solo with the backing, and great rhythmical phrasing throughout. By listening your take one thing crosses my mind and that is fine-tuning. You have to fine tune all those little mistakes you have made, make timing corrections and just tighten up your take, specially the last part. There were syncopated moments in the solo, but I think in some times, specially in the middle, the solo was too connected with the drums. I think a more loosier form would do better.
Phrasing: Phrasing was very good and melodic. In order to achieve greater level of playing, you should practice more arpeggios and big horizontal movements. Every time you make an attempt to play something fast, it ends up with one familiar phrase that is usually somewhere in the pentatonic region. Try to expand your vocabulary of faster passages on other positions as well, and try to work on melody building more. Although the solo was melodic, little attention was made to the actual melodic flow, and more on the landing notes themselves.
Technique: Very well bending/vibrato control, coupled with good dynamic picking will always spawn a good result. Your playing was good, and I suggest you tighten up your picking hand a bit, it seems that there lies the problem. Try practicing some AP runs for a while to overcome that.
Sound: Sound was very good throughout the solo, with a cool dark vibe to it. The second part had slightly unnatural sound than the first one, possibly some other effect was brought in, but in overall it sounded good to my ears.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JamesT
Mar 27 2010, 02:47 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for the feedback Ivan.
I'll work on all of these things. Lot's to practice here. mellow.gif

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 25 2010, 01:41 PM) *
JamesT

Rhythm: You seem to have a solid understanding of the beat, and follow it nicely in highly syncopated manner. The thing with your take is that it is too syncopated, and there is hardly any anchor points where the notes can really relate to the kicking of the drum for instance. Although it is good to have this kind of non-structurized solo, there are certain places where it is good to accent the beat before your phrases go off.
Phrasing: By listening to you do your phrasing I can't help notice that it sounds repetitive. This is because several different movements with the pick have been rehearsed properly, and they are repeated over and over, in different positions and different pattern/shape. My advice to you is to start systematically go through various picking combinations so that you have more flexibility and ways to play something. Expanding lick vocabulary is a must too, so be sure to jamm some with the backing and make good licks. In the middle of the solo, there is a small improvisational attemp, you repeated the same lick several times, but altering the landing note. This kind of a method is well suited for improvisational exercise, so be sure to practice that as well on top of some simple backing with 1-3 chords. This is enhance your ability to use the licks you know in different situations.
Technique: As I said, more picking, more metronome practicing, arps, scales, chords. First the basics, then the rest. Bending/vibrato also needs work. Just take is step by step as always. There were also several whammy attempts, and although it sounded interesting, you need to tighten up that whammy a bit as well with the metronome.
Sound: Sound is pretty good, not a lot of reverb and delay, and amount of overdrive was OK. The tone was a bit flat tho.

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 27 2010, 03:55 AM
GMC:er
Final take.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Ivan Milenkovic   Hobo Blues Collab   Mar 9 2010, 08:10 PM
- - Keilnoth   Here's my take : I used my strat + Guitar R...   Mar 11 2010, 09:49 PM
- - OzRob   Bah humbug! I can't get a take I'm...   Mar 12 2010, 05:17 AM
|- - earman   Here's my take.. open to any criticism. I had ...   Mar 12 2010, 08:35 AM
nnn
- - JamesT   Ok, here's my take... I hope you like it. Man...   Mar 15 2010, 06:29 AM
- - Berglmir   I really, really enjoyed doing this collab and tha...   Mar 18 2010, 09:01 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Keilnoth: Rhythm: In this take, you played some v...   Mar 20 2010, 10:11 PM
|- - Berglmir   sorry - wrong answer to wrong feedback! Final ...   Mar 25 2010, 06:27 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   Brandon: Rhythm: In contrast to Ozrob's playi...   Mar 25 2010, 08:37 PM
nnn
nnn
- - ukyo   Here's my recording. Any criticism or comment ...   Mar 21 2010, 12:28 PM
- - Staffy   Hi buddy! This is my take, rather than play th...   Mar 22 2010, 10:48 PM
|- - OzRob   Ok, love all you guys work but I just don't ...   Mar 24 2010, 07:40 AM
|- - earman   QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 24 2010, 01:40 AM) jus...   Mar 24 2010, 04:04 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Gitarrero   So, I've been waiting for quite some time to u...   Mar 24 2010, 06:42 PM
|- - JamesT   QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 24 2010, 10:42 AM)...   Mar 24 2010, 08:58 PM
nnn
- - Gitarrero   Hi James, thanks a lot, glad you like it. Ivan wil...   Mar 24 2010, 09:07 PM
|- - Berglmir   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 25 2010, 09...   Mar 25 2010, 09:48 PM
|- - OzRob   Final take.   Mar 27 2010, 03:55 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   No problem, glad to help in any way mate! Nice...   Mar 25 2010, 09:56 PM
|- - OzRob   Thanks Ivan, I see now that earlier comments were ...   Mar 26 2010, 12:12 AM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 26 2010, 12:12 AM) Tha...   Mar 26 2010, 10:34 PM
|- - ukyo   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 26 2010, 11...   Mar 28 2010, 07:08 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (ukyo @ Mar 28 2010, 07:08 PM) than...   Mar 28 2010, 11:58 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Sensible Jones   Here's mine Ivan. Great BT!!   Mar 27 2010, 10:48 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   OzRob: Rhythm: This time, drums were followed mo...   Mar 28 2010, 12:58 AM
|- - OzRob   Thanks for the feedback Ivan. All taken on board.   Mar 28 2010, 01:28 AM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 28 2010, 01:28 AM) Tha...   Mar 28 2010, 03:07 PM
|- - Sensible Jones   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 28 2010, 03...   Mar 29 2010, 04:10 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 29 2010, 05:1...   Mar 30 2010, 02:56 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Gitarrero   Thanks for your feedback, Ivan! I'll work ...   Mar 29 2010, 07:54 AM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 29 2010, 07:54 AM)...   Mar 29 2010, 01:30 PM
nnn
- - NoSkill   Hey Ivan. It think I'm in under the wire. Go...   Mar 31 2010, 04:29 AM
- - Hammerhead   Aloha all, I cannot post a take for this great col...   Mar 31 2010, 09:08 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   NoSkill: Rhythm: You displayed very good rhythm ...   Apr 2 2010, 03:07 PM
- - NoSkill   Thank you for your comments, Ivan. I will work on...   Apr 6 2010, 12:45 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   no prob my friend, I'm glad if comments helped...   Apr 10 2010, 02:23 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 03:35 AM