Hobo Blues Collab, UPLOADS & COMMENTS
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 9 2010, 08:10 PM
Instructor
here you can post your takes for the collab! smile.gif

here's the main topic with backing track
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...t=0#entry467318

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2010, 12:58 AM
Instructor
OzRob:

Rhythm: This time, drums were followed more carefully with good development in the second part. I couldn't help noticing that you are using lots of 16 triplets here, and I think the solo would benefit from longer notes in the first section, and syncopation in the second section.
Phrasing: the solo was good, but it didn't contain enough melodic richness, usually there are licks played, tied together, and most of the time it sounds repetitive. I recommend more arpeggio workouts.
Technique: Nice use of vibrato on some places, and in general a very decently played take. I think you need to work on your bending and muting the most. Tightening up the picking hand wouldn't hurt either.
Sound: Sound was good, vintage type with plenty of mids. It lacked low end, and had buzy character with low dynamic range. Try choosing a more cleaner, fuller, open preset, and add gain with care.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Mar 28 2010, 01:28 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for the feedback Ivan. All taken on board.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 28 2010, 03:07 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 28 2010, 01:28 AM) *
Thanks for the feedback Ivan. All taken on board.

You're welcome mate, I hope it will help.

Sensible Jones:

Rhythm: On of the better rhythmic usages I've heard. Great sense for rhythm and syncopation, but in the same time, very well connected on the places it should be with the backing. Having said that, there is room for fine tuning the style you are expressing here. Timing needs to be more tight, there are several places where notes need to be dead on the beat, and there were not. Practicing only strong sharp raking on all strong notes of chords that are used in the progression is one great way to achieve proficiency in this area.
Phrasing: Your phrasing is very good and it is really nicely balanced, with proper use of the pentatonic but also a minor scale as well. I specially like the bends within a minor scale, it sounds really cool. The problem with this take is that it is focused in one register only. During the solo it is good to "travel" over the neck a bit, playing in low, middle, high register. This will increase the range of notes you are using and really make the part sound cool. Since you are familiar and use this position well, I now advise more improvisation practice in other positions too. You can use the same licks for starters, and invent new along the way, that would be one easy way of starting, if you aren't sure what to do on those positions.
Technique: You have a good slow bending technique and use it quite well, and the bends are precise. However, you need more strength in those faster bends that you use on the faster passages. They need to be faster, tighter, stronger, and of course precise. Vibrato is cool, but needs more work to become more steadier and even. Pressing the string nicely and evenly during the vibrato is very important for you tone, so try to acquire a good control over that kind of pressure. The faster passages are good, and I see you use them often since they are polished, but some tightening up wouldn't hurt in that area as well.
Sound: It would be better to keep the signal clean for this take, because the overdrive isn't particularly good on this one. It sounds raw, almost as if pedal was used without cabinet emulation, if you know what I mean. Try to smooth it out a bit, I think the character of it is cool, but need something more in the chain, like a cab emulation. Otherwise it is good.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Sensible Jones
Mar 29 2010, 04:10 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 28 2010, 03:07 PM) *
Sensible Jones:

Rhythm: On of the better rhythmic usages I've heard. Great sense for rhythm and syncopation, but in the same time, very well connected on the places it should be with the backing. Having said that, there is room for fine tuning the style you are expressing here. Timing needs to be more tight, there are several places where notes need to be dead on the beat, and there were not. Practicing only strong sharp raking on all strong notes of chords that are used in the progression is one great way to achieve proficiency in this area.
Phrasing: Your phrasing is very good and it is really nicely balanced, with proper use of the pentatonic but also a minor scale as well. I specially like the bends within a minor scale, it sounds really cool. The problem with this take is that it is focused in one register only. During the solo it is good to "travel" over the neck a bit, playing in low, middle, high register. This will increase the range of notes you are using and really make the part sound cool. Since you are familiar and use this position well, I now advise more improvisation practice in other positions too. You can use the same licks for starters, and invent new along the way, that would be one easy way of starting, if you aren't sure what to do on those positions.
Technique: You have a good slow bending technique and use it quite well, and the bends are precise. However, you need more strength in those faster bends that you use on the faster passages. They need to be faster, tighter, stronger, and of course precise. Vibrato is cool, but needs more work to become more steadier and even. Pressing the string nicely and evenly during the vibrato is very important for you tone, so try to acquire a good control over that kind of pressure. The faster passages are good, and I see you use them often since they are polished, but some tightening up wouldn't hurt in that area as well.
Sound: It would be better to keep the signal clean for this take, because the overdrive isn't particularly good on this one. It sounds raw, almost as if pedal was used without cabinet emulation, if you know what I mean. Try to smooth it out a bit, I think the character of it is cool, but need something more in the chain, like a cab emulation. Otherwise it is good.

Thanks for the comment Ivan! All taken on board and to be worked on!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
I'd rather have a full Bottle in front of me than a full Frontal Lobotomy!!

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Mar 30 2010, 02:56 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Sensible Jones @ Mar 29 2010, 05:10 PM) *
Thanks for the comment Ivan! All taken on board and to be worked on!!
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

Thanks for participating my friend, and I'm glad if I could help with the comment smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Ivan Milenkovic   Hobo Blues Collab   Mar 9 2010, 08:10 PM
- - Keilnoth   Here's my take : I used my strat + Guitar R...   Mar 11 2010, 09:49 PM
- - OzRob   Bah humbug! I can't get a take I'm...   Mar 12 2010, 05:17 AM
|- - earman   Here's my take.. open to any criticism. I had ...   Mar 12 2010, 08:35 AM
nnn
- - JamesT   Ok, here's my take... I hope you like it. Man...   Mar 15 2010, 06:29 AM
- - Berglmir   I really, really enjoyed doing this collab and tha...   Mar 18 2010, 09:01 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Keilnoth: Rhythm: In this take, you played some v...   Mar 20 2010, 10:11 PM
|- - Berglmir   sorry - wrong answer to wrong feedback! Final ...   Mar 25 2010, 06:27 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   Brandon: Rhythm: In contrast to Ozrob's playi...   Mar 25 2010, 08:37 PM
nnn
nnn
- - ukyo   Here's my recording. Any criticism or comment ...   Mar 21 2010, 12:28 PM
- - Staffy   Hi buddy! This is my take, rather than play th...   Mar 22 2010, 10:48 PM
|- - OzRob   Ok, love all you guys work but I just don't ...   Mar 24 2010, 07:40 AM
|- - earman   QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 24 2010, 01:40 AM) jus...   Mar 24 2010, 04:04 PM
nnn
nnn
- - Gitarrero   So, I've been waiting for quite some time to u...   Mar 24 2010, 06:42 PM
|- - JamesT   QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 24 2010, 10:42 AM)...   Mar 24 2010, 08:58 PM
nnn
- - Gitarrero   Hi James, thanks a lot, glad you like it. Ivan wil...   Mar 24 2010, 09:07 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   JamesT Rhythm: You seem to have a solid understan...   Mar 25 2010, 09:41 PM
|- - Berglmir   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 25 2010, 09...   Mar 25 2010, 09:48 PM
|- - JamesT   Thanks for the feedback Ivan. I'll work on all...   Mar 27 2010, 02:47 AM
|- - OzRob   Final take.   Mar 27 2010, 03:55 AM
nnn
nnn
- - Ivan Milenkovic   No problem, glad to help in any way mate! Nice...   Mar 25 2010, 09:56 PM
|- - OzRob   Thanks Ivan, I see now that earlier comments were ...   Mar 26 2010, 12:12 AM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (OzRob @ Mar 26 2010, 12:12 AM) Tha...   Mar 26 2010, 10:34 PM
|- - ukyo   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Mar 26 2010, 11...   Mar 28 2010, 07:08 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (ukyo @ Mar 28 2010, 07:08 PM) than...   Mar 28 2010, 11:58 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Sensible Jones   Here's mine Ivan. Great BT!!   Mar 27 2010, 10:48 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Gitarrero   Thanks for your feedback, Ivan! I'll work ...   Mar 29 2010, 07:54 AM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (Gitarrero @ Mar 29 2010, 07:54 AM)...   Mar 29 2010, 01:30 PM
nnn
- - NoSkill   Hey Ivan. It think I'm in under the wire. Go...   Mar 31 2010, 04:29 AM
- - Hammerhead   Aloha all, I cannot post a take for this great col...   Mar 31 2010, 09:08 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   NoSkill: Rhythm: You displayed very good rhythm ...   Apr 2 2010, 03:07 PM
- - NoSkill   Thank you for your comments, Ivan. I will work on...   Apr 6 2010, 12:45 AM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   no prob my friend, I'm glad if comments helped...   Apr 10 2010, 02:23 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th June 2024 - 10:44 AM