Scales Best Suited For Oriental Sound
The Uncreator
Oct 19 2007, 10:36 AM
Fire Up The Blades, Moderator
Hey Andrew, got a quick question, im no music theory genious, so i was hoping you could tell me scales that would help me get a good Oriental/ Asian culuture sound, i know a few patterns that i use to get it, but i figure theres got to be scales that could enhance my sound on this. smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Oct 19 2007, 10:23 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
Hi Uncreator,
In addition to the sound of some of the modes there are a number of Oriental/Asian: Hirajoshi (1 2 b3 5 b6 8), Kumoi (1 2 b3 5 6 8), In (1 b2 4 5 b6 8) are 6 note Japanese scales; Bhairava (1 b2 3 4 5 b6 7 8), Pooravi (1 b2 3 sharp4 5 b6 7 8) Marava ( 1 b2 3 sharp4 5 6 7 8 ), Kanakangi (1 b2 bb3 4 5 b6 bb7 8) are Indian scales, Pelog (1 b2 b3 5 b6 8) is a Balinese scale.

With the Indian forms you might also want to look at ragas (John McLauglin and the Mahavishnu Orchestra is a great inroad here). I'm sure there are some specific Chinese scales but I've never seen any specific formula. For oriental music a lot of Olivier Messiaen's chamber and orchestral music is influenced by Japanese and Balinese music. Toro Takemitsu is a world reknowned Japanese classical composer (and one much admired by one of our instructors smile.gif ) but it's also worth looking at Akira Ifukube and Yoko Kanu. Recent Chinese - Tan Dun is maybe one of the best known. It's worth listening to a range here IMO as it helps a Western 'ear' get used to the different tonalities used.

Cheers,
Tony

ps apologies to Kosei and Vinod (and indeed anyone else) if I've got spellings wrong above.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 9th June 2024 - 02:12 AM