New Guitar, 1958 Gibson Custom Les Paul
-Zion-
Jun 4 2008, 01:20 PM
Learning Roadie
Hi everyone

I have begun playing the guitar again after a 10 year break. I am getting very very serious about it, and i spend quite a lot of time with my guitar. I play soft/hard Rock and some blues.

At the moment i have a homemade flying-V, which i got from my fathers friend who made it himself. Now this is the same guitar that he used back in the late 70's, and it is actually quite a nice guitar. However practicing with it everyday it's not possible for me to stand with it for several hours a day, and its not really a guitar you can sit with.
Besides that i dont think the guitar sound incredibly good anymore, although i do think some adjustments to the bridge and/or pickups could make it better, however not perfect. I think some new pickups might be needed for that. i dont know. it's just not "clean" anymore in the 13-22 frets. Sometimes i think it sounds like crap, other times it great with a lot of distortion. haha.. wink.gif Besides that i really want something that's "mine", although i'll never ever get rid of the flying-V.

I am going to San Francisco late summer, and now i am thinking about buying myself a brand new guitar. My all time favorite. The guitar i thought i would never get, is now actually within reach. The Les Paul. A real Gibson.

Since i have become so serious with the guitar playing, i want to buy something really nice. A really fantastic guitar that will go with me into my grave.

So i have been browsing GuitarCenter online shop for the Les Paul and i have found this one.
The 1958 Gibson Les Paul Standard Vintage Original Spec Series

Why this one? Well, keep in mind i dont know how it sounds, how it feels or anything yet. But this is the reasons i am currently looking at this one and i am really psyched about this one.. smile.gif

• The flying-V i have, has a really thin neck, so i think that the 50's neck on the les paul really will make a difference.
  • The neck has a long tenon, which i honestly think will not only make it more sturdy but will make it sound better because there's just more wood touching the body.
  • The BurstBucker pickups. i have heard many people speaking very nice of these pickups.
  • Its the original specs used.
  • Vintage trapezoid.. aaah.. i love the trapezoids.. smile.gif
  • I save almost 2000 USD buying it in the US compared to Denmark and Sweden.
  • When i buy something, i might as well buy something really good and solid that will last forever.
  • A guitar like this is an investment.. whatever the price on such a guitar you will most likely never loose any money on it.

So i guess my questions are.
Do any of you guys know or have played on this guitar? Is the guitar worth it even though i save around 2000 USD?
Do you have any suggestions on how to try it out in the store?

i probably have more questions but i cant remember at the moment.

Thank you all in advance,
-Zion-

edit: added investment thing to the list.. wink.gif

edit2: btw, do you guys know whether or not GuitarCenter have the guitars at their shops? i mean, im only in San Francisco for at limited time, and would hate it if they had to order it somewhere first.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by -Zion-: Jun 4 2008, 01:51 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- -Zion-   New Guitar   Jun 4 2008, 01:20 PM
- - Moon Boots   I would kill for that guitar But I would definatl...   Jun 4 2008, 01:34 PM
- - -Zion-   Thank you for your input Moon Boots. I was actual...   Jun 4 2008, 01:48 PM
- - audiopaal   I want that Gibson too   Jun 4 2008, 01:59 PM
- - Lian Gerbino   if u can buy 2 gibson.... and send me one! ha...   Jun 4 2008, 02:26 PM
- - Old School Rocker   Wow That guitar is Just Amazing, It has Jimmy Page...   Jun 4 2008, 03:54 PM
- - TreyDeschamp   nice man   Jun 4 2008, 04:28 PM
- - FrankW   I said it before, and I'll say it again...Gibs...   Jun 4 2008, 06:13 PM
- - Ivan Milenkovic   Nice guitar man, definitely an investment, it is n...   Jun 4 2008, 08:20 PM
|- - FrankW   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 4 2008, 08:2...   Jun 4 2008, 08:46 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   I didn't say nothing against your claim man - ...   Jun 7 2008, 09:00 PM
|- - FrankW   QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jun 7 2008, 09:0...   Jun 7 2008, 10:33 PM
|- - Ivan Milenkovic   QUOTE (FrankW @ Jun 7 2008, 11:33 PM) Iva...   Jun 8 2008, 04:29 PM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - Fran   It's a niceguitar for sure, but I'm not su...   Jun 4 2008, 08:46 PM
- - -Zion-   thank you all for your advice.. Much appreciated   Jun 7 2008, 06:23 PM
- - sidewas lightning   awesome guitar, but if i were you... ah, heck. i ...   Jun 7 2008, 07:39 PM
- - Strungout180   QUOTE (FrankW @ Jun 4 2008, 01:13 PM) I s...   Jun 8 2008, 04:51 AM
- - Danilo Capezzuto   Really nice guitar mate. I wanna a gibson!   Jun 8 2008, 05:21 PM
|- - Pablo Vazquez   QUOTE (Danilo Capezzuto @ Jun 8 2008, 01...   Jun 8 2008, 10:41 PM
nnn
- - Smikey2006   its a nice guitar.. but im afraid i think gibsons ...   Jun 8 2008, 09:11 PM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2024 - 06:38 PM