7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Matt23's Mtp Thread, All assignments and uploads here
Pedja Simovic
Sep 5 2009, 10:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 5 2009, 08:50 PM) *
Ok I understand now about cadences, thanks smile.gif, but I'm still not sure about chord substitution. Is chord substitution just a way of taking a chord progression, but substituting some of the chords for similar ones to make a similar but different progression?

Thats exactly what it is!
If you read that post more you will see why substitution works and what type of chord functions we have (Tonic, Subdominant and Dominant).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 6 2009, 10:20 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok I'll read it again now I understand more what the post is about.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 6 2009, 10:23 AM
Instructor
Excellent Matt. I am very happy with your theory and harmony responses so far. We have to work on technique part of assignment now. If you get a chance today, post some audio of exercises.
I have just a quick question for you... How did you manage in the same track to have different metronome clicks come through the actual recording?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 6 2009, 10:26 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
Ok Pedja, I should be able to post some audio clips this evening. And to your question about the metronome. I have Acoustica Beatcraft, so I made a metronome beat and copied it the number of times I needed it (66), then I went through adding tempo flags, and setting the track to the right tempo at the right times.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 6 2009, 10:28 AM
Instructor
Sounds great Matt.
I will try to do something similar when recording my examples today wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 7 2009, 03:44 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'm afraid I have some bad news Pedja. Today I hurt the little finger on my left hand, so I can't play the guitar, not even with the other fingers. sad.gif Hopefully it will be good enough to play guitar with soon though. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 03:47 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 7 2009, 04:44 PM) *
I'm afraid I have some bad news Pedja. Today I hurt the little finger on my left hand, so I can't play the guitar, not even with the other fingers. sad.gif Hopefully it will be good enough to play guitar with soon though. smile.gif

That is really some bad news Matt!
I really hope your little finger gets back to normal soon. Are you putting some ice on it? How did you hurt it ?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 7 2009, 03:56 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 7 2009, 03:47 PM) *
That is really some bad news Matt!
I really hope your little finger gets back to normal soon. Are you putting some ice on it? How did you hurt it ?

It was at school when we were doing PE. I was playing dodgeball, and I tried to catch a really hard throw and it bent my finger back. I might put some ice on it but I don't think it helps so much if you don't do it straight after you hurt something. I think it will recover quite quick though cos when I hurt it I couldn't bend it at all, and now there's about 45 degrees of bend in it, so it should be useable in a couple of days even if it's a bit painful.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 04:05 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 7 2009, 04:56 PM) *
It was at school when we were doing PE. I was playing dodgeball, and I tried to catch a really hard throw and it bent my finger back. I might put some ice on it but I don't think it helps so much if you don't do it straight after you hurt something. I think it will recover quite quick though cos when I hurt it I couldn't bend it at all, and now there's about 45 degrees of bend in it, so it should be useable in a couple of days even if it's a bit painful.

That is terrible Matt. Relax your hand and try to avoid dodge ball next time. Similar thing happened to me when I was playing basketball in my primary school. After that incident I basically gave up on that sport because music is my life long career, didn't want something like that to repeat...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 7 2009, 04:07 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
It's not anything serious just a bit annoying.

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 04:19 PM
Instructor
Cool Matt, relax and when you are ready record those AP exercises for me.
Would you like more theory related assignments in the meanwhile?

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 7 2009, 04:21 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
QUOTE (Pedja Simovic @ Sep 7 2009, 04:19 PM) *
Cool Matt, relax and when you are ready record those AP exercises for me.
Would you like more theory related assignments in the meanwhile?

Sure. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 04:22 PM
Instructor
Ok Matt, I will post some more questions later tonight!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 7 2009, 10:52 PM
Instructor
Here we go with more theory Matt !

- Read my theory and harmony posts regarding Cadences.
- Once you have read everything, write out cadences for following tonal centers
1) Db Ionian
2) F# Dorian
3) C Phrygian
4) G Lydian
5) F Mixolydian
6) F# Aeolian

Extra assignment , write down notes of the mode above!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 8 2009, 04:24 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Db Ionian

Db (I), Gb (IV), Ab (V), Db (I) or
Ebm (II), Ab (V), Db (I)

Db Ionian: Db, Eb, F, Gb, Ab, Bb, C

F# Dorian

F#m (I), B (IV) or
F#m (I), G#m (II)

F# Dorian: F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E

C Phrygian

Cm (I), Db (II) or
Cm (I), Bbm (VII)

C Phrygian: C, Db, Eb, F, G, Ab, Bb

G Lydian

G (I), A (II) or
G (I), F#m (VII)

G Lydian: G, A, B, C#, D, E, F#

F Mixolydian

F (I), Eb (VII) or
F (I), Cm (V)

F Mixolydian: F, G, A, Bb, C, D, Eb

F# Aeolian:

F#m (I), Bm (IV), C#m (V), F#m (I) or
F#m (I), D (VI), E (VII), F#m (I)

F# Aeolian: F#, G#, A, B, C#, D, E

This post has been edited by Matt23: Sep 8 2009, 04:24 PM

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 8 2009, 09:47 PM
Instructor
Perfect Matt!
More theory and harmony tomorrow stay tuned wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 10 2009, 10:09 PM
Instructor
Ok Matt, we continue with more theory and harmony now. I hope your finger is getting better smile.gif I haven't forgoten about alternate picking, hope you haven't either wink.gif

Here we go with new assignment

Questions :

1) What is cycle 4 and cycle 5 in harmony?
2) How many keys with sharps do we have in music? What about keys with flats?
3) How many notes do we have in chromatic scale?
4) What is the shortcut we use to move through cycle 4? What about cycle 5?

Let me know if you need any help with these, this is just to get you going!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 11 2009, 05:46 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'll have a go at these but I'm not too sure about the cycle 4 and 5 questions. Is there an article or a post you could maybe link me to about them? And about my finger, I can play fine with 3 fingers now, and very gently with four, so I should be able to make a start on those exercises soon.

1) Is cycle 4 a chord progression where you go through chords in 4th intervals, in a cycle until you get back to the starting chord. I.e. In the key of C major: C, F, B, E, A, D, G, C. And is cycle 5 then the same in 5th intervals. I.e. In C major: C, G, D, A, E, B, F, C.

2) 5 keys with sharps, 5 keys with flats, and Gb/F#, which can have sharps or flats.

3) 12

4) No idea

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Sep 11 2009, 07:38 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Matt23 @ Sep 11 2009, 06:46 PM) *
I'll have a go at these but I'm not too sure about the cycle 4 and 5 questions. Is there an article or a post you could maybe link me to about them? And about my finger, I can play fine with 3 fingers now, and very gently with four, so I should be able to make a start on those exercises soon.

1) Is cycle 4 a chord progression where you go through chords in 4th intervals, in a cycle until you get back to the starting chord. I.e. In the key of C major: C, F, B, E, A, D, G, C. And is cycle 5 then the same in 5th intervals. I.e. In C major: C, G, D, A, E, B, F, C.

2) 5 keys with sharps, 5 keys with flats, and Gb/F#, which can have sharps or flats.

3) 12

4) No idea

Matt you did very good to certain extent on your own. I am proud of you man smile.gif

Here are some things that will help you for future.

Cycle 5 is used to determine keys with sharps. We start on C and always go up a perfect 5th. Thats our next key with one extra sharp. So C (no accidentals) up a perfect 5th gives us G major that has one accidental. Now regarding question 4, here is your answer : Trick is, we always have to alter 7th from minor to major so that we could get half step between it and the root. In practical terms, what is 7th of G ? F right? What do we have to do ? Make it sharper, so we do F to F#, F# is our sharp, and F# to G is half step away!!! Let me know if this explanation makes sense?

Here are the keys with sharps for you Matt:

C = no accidentals
G = F#, 1 sharp
D = F# and C#, 2 sharps
A = F#, C# and G# = 3 sharps
E = F#, C#, G#, D# = 4 sharps
B = F#,C#, G#, D#, A# = 5 sharps
F#= F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E# = 6 sharps
C#= F#,C#,G#,D#,A#,E#,B# = 7 sharps (all notes are sharp!).

So that is your Cycle 5 or keys with sharps.

Cycle 4 is used to determine keys with flats. We start on C and always go up a perfect 4th. That is our next key with one extra flat. So C (no accidentals) up a perfect 4th gives us F major that has one accidental (one flat). Now regarding question 4, here is your answer : Trick is, once we find the root, we go up another perfect 4th from it and since that interval is augmented 4th, we lower it and that is our original flat!!!

Let me put this into use so it is more clear to you.

We start on C , go up a perfect 4th , now we are in F! We know by now that F has one flat, problem is we don't know which one! Now as I said, go up a perfect 4th from F, there is your flat! F going up augmented 4th is B, so we have to make B into Bb for it to be perfect 4th from F. So F has 1 flat and it is Bb!

The beauty about this trick is once you found your first flat, every next key is based on the flat you found!
So from F major that has Bb, our next key becomes Bb with Eb flat, and our next key is then Eb with Ab flat etc.

Here is the Cycle 4 for you Matt:

C (no accidentals)
F = Bb = 1 flat
Bb = Bb and Eb = 2 flats
Eb = Bb, Eb, Ab= 3 flats
Ab= Bb, Eb, Ab,Dd, = 4 flats
Dd= Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb= 5 flats
Gb= Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb= 6 flats
Cb= Bb,Eb,Ab,Db,Gb,Cb,Fb = 7 flats (all flats!)

Here is another tip for you Matt - Both cycle 4 and cycle 5 have 7 keys each! We have to take all 7 letter names and alter them, this is why we have to go through the cycle 7 times.

Hope this post was useful to you. I will post it also on my Theory and Harmony board for future reference.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Matt23
Sep 11 2009, 07:49 PM
Accomplished Tone Master
Thanks for that detailed reply Pedja smile.gif, I think I understand it, but I have a question. Should Cb not be B, to avoid 7 flats, and should C# not be Db to avoid 7 sharps?

This post has been edited by Matt23: Sep 11 2009, 07:55 PM

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 04:16 PM