1on1 Speedpicking
Constie
Dec 6 2007, 09:04 PM
GMC:er
In this video Kris said we should hold the pick not parallel but about 45° angle, without that it would be impossible to get such a high speed.
I watched some videos and I noticed that some guitarrist for example alexi laiho don't.

I'm really confused what I should do. Without an angle the sound is much straighter, I don't have picking mistakes and get almost the same speed. But why should pros like Paul Gilbert use it if it's not necessary blink.gif

Help biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Gerald
Dec 6 2007, 09:30 PM
I didn't use it and found once I switched that for me it was much easier to alternate pick. I think at some point it's going to come down to personal preference.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mackietao
Dec 6 2007, 09:40 PM
I pick without an angle. I looked at kris video now though when you mentioned it and tried to pick with angle. Now I´m used to other picking so it wasn´t really easier but I sure got the feeling it was less resistance against the string. However the attack wasn´t as clear. Will have to try this more to take a stand...

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Dec 6 2007, 09:55 PM
I hold the pick at a slight angle to the strings, but it's not as much as 45 degrees. I find that too much of an angle loses attack and articulation. I think that learning to pick with the very tip of the pick is key to speedpicking, although a small angle to the strings helps too.

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post
Gerald
Dec 6 2007, 10:08 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=khs0Wl7Hvas...feature=related

Here is an explaination from the master. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Dec 6 2007, 11:43 PM
Instructor
Holding a pick in a 45 degree angle gives you a different sound then holfing a pick at a straight angle. In general it is better to hold a pick as straight angle because you get even tones when you play up or down. THere are off course exepctions - not everyone play like this, but is is a general rule for all beginners to apply and then when they learn to play at a straight angle they can "brake rules".

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pavel
Dec 7 2007, 12:39 AM
Instructor
Don't take those "measures" too fixed. It doesn't have to be 45 degrees straight! Experiment with it - playing is not science - it's art, so you have to develop it and search for it all the time wink.gif

I am still working on my picking and discover something new every day, and i must say - nobody can tell you this stuff - you have to feel it for yourself wink.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
David.C.Bond
Dec 7 2007, 01:11 PM
This is an interesting subject that I've had vrious debates about. I personally hold my pick at 45 degrees, but one of my old guitar teachers would constantly try to get me to hold it parallel. I know many guitarist (Alexi Laiho is a good example) who can play very fast holding it parallel, and it does sound very clean.
However I feel more comfortable holding it at an angle and as they say, you can't teach an old dog new tricks, so I'm gonna keep doing that. I don't think theres a right or wrong way to do it, although i do notice I go through plectrums much quicker than some friends who hold it parallel, because it wears unevenly.
David

+Quote Post
Constie
Dec 7 2007, 04:44 PM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Dec 6 2007, 06:39 PM) *
Don't take those "measures" too fixed. It doesn't have to be 45 degrees straight!

It was just an example wink.gif I liked it more at about 20°-30°

I'm relieved to hear that it is possible my way.
In the video it sounds like everyone is doing so and like it's the only way.

Thanks for helping me, I was so confused but now I know how I pick best smile.gif

--------------------
You can't take the effect and make it the cause

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:25 AM