Improving Flow?, Picking single strings sounds a little stiff.....
Luke_PL
May 1 2007, 04:15 AM
GMC:er
Hey I'm kinda new to the guitar thing. This is gonna sound stupid, but when i play single strings, it just sounds a little stiff. By that i mean every string is very emphasized and the notes don't blend together well... Dk if you know what i mean but if you do plz leave a tip biggrin.gif.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 01:53 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Luke_PL @ Apr 30 2007, 11:15 PM) *
Hey I'm kinda new to the guitar thing. This is gonna sound stupid, but when i play single strings, it just sounds a little stiff. By that i mean every string is very emphasized and the notes don't blend together well... Dk if you know what i mean but if you do plz leave a tip biggrin.gif.

Hi Luke,

Not quite sure what you mean here? Are you saying that the volume you play is uneven, or that each note has a lot of attack on it, or something else? What type of things are you trying to play?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: May 1 2007, 01:53 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
wheeler
May 1 2007, 08:34 PM
QUOTE (Luke_PL @ Apr 30 2007, 10:15 PM) *

Hey Luke, I think I know what you mean. I'm guessing that, when you play a sequence of notes, every note stands out from every other note, so that there's no sense of the notes leading into each other and forming one smooth line. That's something that will come with time and practice. The problem is, when you are just starting out, you are focusing on every individual note you play....and that's what it sounds like. As you become more experienced, you will be playing a note with the intention of leading into the next note, and expressing an idea. That's where the smoothness/flow comes in. Once you start playing an idea expressed as a cohesive line of notes instead of a "make sure I play this note right then I can move on to another one" sequence of individual notes, you'll see what I mean. smile.gif

I would recommend picking out some simple sounding lead lines from songs you like and practicing them religiously, slowly at first, until you are completely comfortable playing them, and can hear them in your head as a complete line, not just a sequence of notes. That'll give you the flow that you're looking for.

Hope that made sense/helped with your problem.

+Quote Post
Luke_PL
May 2 2007, 05:06 AM
Thx guys. Wheeler understood what i meant and thx. I guess i just gotta start playing till my fingers fall off biggrin.gif.

Thx again.

+Quote Post
Bitey
May 4 2007, 04:37 PM
The thing I do to get ride of that is to include bends, slides, hammer on's/pull off's, chords instead of just one note, and follow a general way the scale looks. If you have the money I would get Guitar Pro 5 to help you with flow and what not. I use it to help me write some songs because I don't have a drummer or anything I just have me and my guitar. It is nice to have a general idea on what to expect to hear with a background beat if you understand what I am saying.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 11:57 PM