2 Pages V   1 2 >  
What's Your Favorite Daw Plugin?, Try to limit to one :)
Todd Simpson
Jul 29 2011, 05:15 PM
GMC:er
For me IZOTOPE OZONE is a long time fav. But just today I found something I just LOVE. It's called

TRACK PLUG 5 from WAVE ARTS.

You can download a fully functioning demo here at this link.

http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/trackplug/

It's a "Channel Strip" Plugin so it's sort of line a full channel strip from a really nice Recording Console but in software. It's several plugins in one. It's about $150 which is crazy cheap believe it or not for something of this quality.

Here is a BEFORE and AFTER with and without the plugin.

WITH TRACK PLUG

Attached File  67plugins_galore.mp3 ( 532.16K ) Number of downloads: 179

WITHOUT TRACK PLUG
Attached File  67_noplugins.mp3 ( 532.16K ) Number of downloads: 168

The difference is just AMAZING!

Here is a screen cap. If you are doing home recording you really need this. Download the free demo and give it a shot!
Attached Image

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 29 2011, 05:19 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sinisa Cekic
Jul 29 2011, 09:11 PM
Instructor
Yeah, IZOTOPE OZONE rule ! Also I often use Kontakt 4 !

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
thefireball
Jul 29 2011, 09:38 PM
Learning Roadie
It's gotta be EZdrummer for me. It's the groove of my songs!

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 30 2011, 07:30 AM
QUOTE (Sinisa Cekic @ Jul 29 2011, 04:11 PM) *
Yeah, IZOTOPE OZONE rule ! Also I often use Kontakt 4 !

If you haven't tried the the plugin I mentioned in the previous post, make sure to try to give it a shot if at all possible. It's a "Channel Strip Plugin" which may not mean anything unless you've used them. It's the big trend in mixing "IN THE BOX" E.G. Within a computer and skipping the big mixing console.

The Channel Strip plugin takes the place of a single channel on a full size production audio console. So it's really several plugins in one. Using a good channel strip can really take your mixes/recordings to the next level and get them one step closer the "Studio Sound".

This plugin looks complicated because, well, it is. But it has presets so you don't have to even understand it at first. Just pick a preset that sounds good and learn as you go. You can download the demo for 30 days. If you are a STUDENT or TEACHER and have some sort of ID, you can get HALF OFF THE PRICE!

Here is the link again.

http://wavearts.com/products/plugins/trackplug/

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 30 2011, 11:17 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 30 2011, 07:30 AM) *
The Channel Strip plugin takes the place of a single channel on a full size production audio console.

Yes. there are a number around and many attempt to emulate a single channel of a specific well known console - usually a Neve, Trident or SSL console though there are a couple of Pye and Decca/Philips emulations as well. SSL actually make a couple of channel strip emulations of their own 4000 and 9000 consoles. Presumably people get the 4000 for total recall and use a different strip for the effects wink.gif.

To some extent though every daw already have channel strips, albeit that they may not be modelled/emulate on anything specific and might not appear as a single unit. The daw's channel strip however will be more basic and more likely to be a comp, 3-5 band eq and a gate but tbh this is sufficient for most. I think Reaper's is actually based loosely on an SSL 9000 but don't quote me on that as I don't have Reaper to check. Also Cubase 6 has, I think, a Rupert Neve portico channel strip now as a plug in.

One of the issues with any vst channel strip is whether or not they are out of series when turned off. I've seen some that leave an eq, or a comp etc in line when 'off' and this can cause significant issues as 1/the filters etc continue to have unexpected and unintended consequences and 2/ they add to the internal digital summing but without necessarily showing on the metering. Both of these are a potential issue with vsts generally and I'd recomend that if you are not using a vst that you remove it completely rather than just turn it 'off'.

BTW - hardware channel strips have been around for years. Many also replicate strips from particular consoles. Some offer the flexibility to slowly build up from say a simple 2 channel stereo channel to a 64/16/2 or whatever.

One of the oddities about these, to me, is that very few people actually have used the original console. How well the vst or hardware unit mimics the original then is moot as there is very little basis for comparison. That's partly the basis of my tongue in cheek comment on the 4000 - the studio I worked in had a 4000 and it was about workflow, not how good the 4000 sounded. We have hardware Neve and Portico here and I'd be interested in exactly how well the Cubase vst stands up...

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 30 2011, 11:27 AM
Instructor
I'm frequently using Waves SSL4000 Channel strip and Master Bus compressor. My favorite plugin is not the best one around tho, but I like how it colors the sound (if used properly, and in combination with Waves, which is more transparent). It's Vintage Warmer. It's a vintage-style dual band compressor with a brickwall limiter, although I'm using only mild compression from it usually. The EQ is not soft and sensitive as Waves SSL strip, but for quick stuff it's great.

Often there is no time in creating detailed mixes because of nature of work, so the Vintage Warmer helps achieving the "goal" in a very short time. If there is need for more detailed approach, I'll combine Waves plugs.

So, Vintage Warmer for me, not the best, but favorite cool.gif

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 30 2011, 03:05 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 29 2011, 05:15 PM) *
TRACK PLUG 5 from WAVE ARTS.

Q question - what's Wave's reason for the digital output meter to go to +3dB?

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jul 31 2011, 03:46 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 30 2011, 10:05 AM) *
Q question - what's Wave's reason for the digital output meter to go to +3dB?

Honestly, I wouldn't know why they did that. But despite their meters this is honestly one of the better sounding plugins of it's type I've ever tried. For someone in a facility with real hardware, these types of plugins are perhaps, in some cases, not quite "as" compelling as they are to those of us working entirely "In The Box", without benefit of anything like a high end console/outboard rack/summing mixer, etc. But if you are a recording enthusiast working only in software, especially if you are on a really tight budget or perhaps (as sometimes is the case with students or anybody for that matter) no budget of any kind, software solutions, especially free ones, are a God send.

QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Jul 30 2011, 06:27 AM) *
I'm frequently using Waves SSL4000 Channel strip and Master Bus compressor....]

Using this or something similar is a great way to get a "warmer" sound in to an all digital mix. There are even some freeware/open source plugins such as those that come as part of REAPER that do a decent job. Of course, it would be nice if time/budget allowed one to run every mix through a nice Two Track tape machine, or a spiffy summing mixer, or a Nevel Console. But as is often the case, budget/time is probably going to be tight. So plugins like this just what the doctor ordered.

UPDATE NEW FAV PLUGIN

After some more thinking I am gonna have to change my FAV plugin to GUITAR RIG 4. That's a bit like cheating as it has so many modules and such that it's more like a Bundle of plugins. I"ve been using it lately for everything from warming up tracks/mixes, to adding punch to drum kits/loops using REFLEKTOR impulses. It's got tweakable presets for everything from Vocals to Snare drum. Killer piece of Kit. I'm attaching a guitar preset that I used in todays VIDEO CHAT lesson. Give it a whirl if you have guitar rig smile.gif Also, here is a video on how to import presets and make rig see them.

Attached File  _GMC_LESSON_68__Tubey_Emulation__FINAL.ksd.zip ( 5.57K ) Number of downloads: 96
[color="#4169E1"][/color]

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jul 31 2011, 07:01 AM

+Quote Post
JamesT
Jul 31 2011, 05:46 AM
Accomplished Tone Master
I'd have to say it's the M40 Reverb from TC Electronic. It's the best reverb in my arsenal. I use it on just about everything.
This is a great post. ...learning much about all the great plugins out there!

--------------------

Check out my YouTube Channel

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Jul 31 2011, 09:05 AM
Instructor
I used M30 for a while because it was free, but it sounded a bit too cold for me, not sure about M40, it's probably better. The warmest reverb I could find would be Altiverb 6, it continues to sound warm in the mix. But it's heavyweight, and for quick mixing, I'm using stock nuendo reverb. It's cold, but it does the job.

--------------------

+Quote Post
nikeman64
Jul 31 2011, 09:19 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
I'm using Wave Art plugins on mixing level and Izotope Ozon for mastering purposes. Nothing can replace a good mixing or mastering engineer (with great ears) but for my purposes these plugins always deliver !! smile.gif

--------------------
Experienced Tone Seeker

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Jul 31 2011, 10:48 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jul 31 2011, 03:46 AM) *
Honestly, I wouldn't know why they did that.

Thanks Todd smile.gif . Guess we'll just have to put it in the 'strange but true' pile.

BTW I know Paul Frindle quite well - he used to be the software designer at Sony, and subsequently Sony Oxford and Sonnox. He designed and coded a lot of their pro end vsts that Sonnox still market. I've had some very interesting chats with him (and also PieterStenekis at Sonoris) over the years about vsts and emulation etc. He's a really nice guy.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Aug 19 2011, 06:03 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jul 31 2011, 05:48 AM) *
BTW I know Paul Frindle quite well - he used to be the software designer at Sony, and subsequently Sony Oxford and Sonnox. He designed and coded a lot of their pro end vsts that Sonnox still market. I've had some very interesting chats with him (and also PieterStenekis at Sonoris) over the years about vsts and emulation etc. He's a really nice guy.

Those must have been some interesting chats. For those who don't know who Paul Frindle is, here is a bit of background.

Paul Frindle -

Paul Frindle has 35 years' experience in the pro audio and music industries. He has worked as a studio engineer in Oxford and Paris, and was a design engineer at SSL with responsibilities for E and G-series analogue consoles, emerging assignable consoles and nascent digital audio products. As one of the original team that became Sony Oxford, he is responsible for many revolutionary aspects of the Sony OXF-R3 mixing console. More recently he was responsible for product design and quality assurance at Oxford Plugins. On leaving Sony Oxford, he co-founded Pro Audio DSP in order to make novel sound-processing applications to fulfill many issues he had identified in the audio production chain over his career.

---

In short, the man is a bit of a legend having designed some of the best sound consoles and then best sounding plugins in history. He has started his own shop making killer plugins. Here is a link.

http://www.proaudiodsp.com/products/dsm/#installer

+Quote Post
audiopaal
Aug 19 2011, 09:50 PM
Competitions Coordinator - Up the Irons
It's hard to pick just one favorite, but if I have to choose...

Abbey Road Brilliance Pack (actually 3 plugins, but they're almost the same)
Link: http://www.abbeyroadplugins.com/product_ab...pack_41016.aspx

The Brilliance Pack provides authentic emulations of the EMI RS127 and RS135 EQ units, which were built in the early 1960s to supplement the EQ on the legendary REDD mixing consoles. These 'presence boxes' were used on countless seminal recordings at Abbey Road during the '60s, including almost every album by The Beatles.

The plugins retain the operation and response curves from the original hardware and provide control of frequencies which can improve the presence and definition of recordings and help instruments stand out in a mix. The software is compatible with all popular DAW applications and can be used on mono, stereo and multichannel tracks.

I also use Sonnox Oxford EQ and Waves API 2500 Compressor quite a bit, great plugs!

That's just a few of my go to tools though, there's so many great plugs to choose from depending on your needs smile.gif

For free plug-ins I posted this thread a long time ago: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...c=33087&hl=
Not sure they all still work though, but they're all pretty good smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 20 2011, 09:36 AM
Instructor
Awesome advices everyone, just the stuff that we need to have on the topic for everybody starting some mixing/mastering on their own! smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
OzRob
Sep 4 2011, 01:06 PM
Bit late to this party but I'll have to say the Flux PureLimiter II that Tony suggested to me some time ago. It's the only plug that I use on every single piece I create. Coming in a close second is the Flux PureCompressor II. They're very precise, incredibly transparent IMO, and don't have the sloppiness I find in many other digital compressors.

--------------------
------------------------
My website (Flash) My other website (non-Flash)
------------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 4 2011, 02:16 PM
QUOTE (OzRob @ Sep 4 2011, 01:06 PM) *
Bit late to this party but I'll have to say the Flux PureLimiter II that Tony suggested to me some time ago. It's the only plug that I use on every single piece I create. Coming in a close second is the Flux PureCompressor II. They're very precise, incredibly transparent IMO, and don't have the sloppiness I find in many other digital compressors.

+1

To a great extent I'd go as far as to say that in mastering the Flux limiter and Voxengo's Elephant are starting to replace hardware limiters in most pro studios because of the transparency. We use them a lot but still have a hardware Slam, which we tend to use now only for colour if necessary. If we had to start with a clean sheet, ie didn't have any limiters, I think we'd get the Flux first before the Elephant and possibly not even get the Slam.

I'd add that Flux produce very good vsts that repeatedly are up there with the best available, along with Sonoris and some of the Sonnox/Sony Oxford ones.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 9 2011, 03:44 AM
Instructor
ohh i gotta check those plugins!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Sep 9 2011, 04:11 AM
QUOTE (tonymiro @ Sep 4 2011, 09:16 AM) *
+1

To a great extent I'd go as far as to say that in mastering the Flux limiter and Voxengo's Elephant are starting to replace hardware limiters in most pro studios because of the transparency. We use them a lot but still have a hardware Slam, which we tend to use now only for colour if necessary. If we had to start with a clean sheet, ie didn't have any limiters, I think we'd get the Flux first before the Elephant and possibly not even get the Slam.

I'd add that Flux produce very good vsts that repeatedly are up there with the best available, along with Sonoris and some of the Sonnox/Sony Oxford ones.

I'm a BIG fan of the VOXENGO plugins in General. And several are actually FREE! Their Tube Amp Plugin for example is free and gives nice warmth to any track.

Attached Image

Here is a link to ALL THE FREE VOXENGO PLUGINS!

http://www.voxengo.com/group/free-vst-plugins/

+Quote Post
Adrian Figallo
Sep 11 2011, 03:39 AM
Instructor
hey thanks for that link todd!

--------------------

Check my Instructor Profile Rockers!
Got a Blog too!, www.adriantracks.com

Follow me on facebook and youtube!
-Facebook
-Youtube

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:44 AM