Studio Computer?
Qenzoz
Dec 12 2012, 03:53 PM
GMC:er
'Ello, I am currently in the process of maybe starting to build my own little studio, but I want to make my PC really great for it. So I was wondering what are the things I need to focus on? I will get an SSD sooner or later, but besides that what really matters in a PC to make it great for studio use?

Cheers & thanks in advance.

Tobias

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Saoirse O'Shea
Dec 12 2012, 04:24 PM
Moderator - low level high stakes
In short how quiet it is, how fast it is and how well it can run the software you need, how easy it is to maintain and how eay it is to onnect to the equipment you have and need.

Some of the things that you also need to think about are:

How quiet it is - you should try and reduce the noise from it as much as you can. Consider using large, slow rotation speed fans and a passive cooled video card. Also look at good
connector cables that are designed to help air flow and sound insuation in the case.

How much ram it has and what type. Same for the CPU. These will affect how well the software runs and how much you can run at a time but they aren't the only consideration as you also need to look at how quickly data is passed across the bus. Also, some of the newer low form factor CPU chips can also help with reducing noise as they produce less heat and so the fans don't run as much.

What other hard disc drives and CD and DVD drives it has. You should try to have a primary drive for the OS, a secondary drive for programs and other drives for music/audio files. You should also try to think about external drives to back up files and programs regularly. Get good quality CD and DVD drives - Plextor are used by mastering engineers but you may struggle to find these in shops. Poor quality drives are more likely to either not read or write well and may result in corrupted data on discs.

How it will interface to external outboard and internal devices/cards. If you need USB then 1.1 is a minimum but you should try and spec it to have several USB 2 and possibly a couple of USB3 ports. You may also want firewire, spdif, and toslink i/o. You need to think about what internal cards you might use and how they connect to the mobo. There are still a lot of very good audio cards around that use the old internal PCI interface rather than the PCI express slot.

How easy it is to maintain and upgrade - a large tower case means that you have much more space to work in if you want to change and/or add stuff at a later date. They also tend to have better air flow than small cases.

Whether the OS is ok for legacy equipment/software if you have any and how future proof it is.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Qenzoz
Dec 13 2012, 04:59 AM
GMC:er
Thanks for your answer! smile.gif, I found some of those Plextor on the internet, so they're possible for me to get here in Denmark.

But how much money do you think one should put in to get something that could be classified as good? Also I am a Windows person.

Thanks again! smile.gif

Tobias

QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 12 2012, 04:24 PM) *
In short how quiet it is, how fast it is and how well it can run the software you need, how easy it is to maintain and how eay it is to onnect to the equipment you have and need.

Some of the things that you also need to think about are:

How quiet it is - you should try and reduce the noise from it as much as you can. Consider using large, slow rotation speed fans and a passive cooled video card. Also look at good
connector cables that are designed to help air flow and sound insuation in the case.

How much ram it has and what type. Same for the CPU. These will affect how well the software runs and how much you can run at a time but they aren't the only consideration as you also need to look at how quickly data is passed across the bus. Also, some of the newer low form factor CPU chips can also help with reducing noise as they produce less heat and so the fans don't run as much.

What other hard disc drives and CD and DVD drives it has. You should try to have a primary drive for the OS, a secondary drive for programs and other drives for music/audio files. You should also try to think about external drives to back up files and programs regularly. Get good quality CD and DVD drives - Plextor are used by mastering engineers but you may struggle to find these in shops. Poor quality drives are more likely to either not read or write well and may result in corrupted data on discs.

How it will interface to external outboard and internal devices/cards. If you need USB then 1.1 is a minimum but you should try and spec it to have several USB 2 and possibly a couple of USB3 ports. You may also want firewire, spdif, and toslink i/o. You need to think about what internal cards you might use and how they connect to the mobo. There are still a lot of very good audio cards around that use the old internal PCI interface rather than the PCI express slot.

How easy it is to maintain and upgrade - a large tower case means that you have much more space to work in if you want to change and/or add stuff at a later date. They also tend to have better air flow than small cases.

Whether the OS is ok for legacy equipment/software if you have any and how future proof it is.

--------------------
Guitar
Suhr S4 Pro Series Bengal Burst

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- Qenzoz   Studio Computer?   Dec 12 2012, 03:53 PM
nnn
- - PosterBoy   I'm not sure if this will help you but I'm...   Dec 13 2012, 09:20 AM
- - ztevie   There are a few things to consider here... What D...   Dec 13 2012, 09:42 AM
- - ConnorGilks   If you're willing to go with a Mac, a Mac Mini...   Dec 16 2012, 10:36 AM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (ConnorGilks @ Dec 16 2012, 10:36 A...   Dec 16 2012, 05:10 PM
||- - Todd Simpson   BINGO!! You can run windows, Mac OS, Linu...   Dec 20 2012, 02:20 AM
||- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 16 2012, 04:1...   Dec 20 2012, 10:12 AM
||- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Dec 20 2012, 10:12 AM) ...   Dec 20 2012, 10:25 AM
|||- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 20 2012, 09:2...   Dec 20 2012, 03:15 PM
nnn
||- - Todd Simpson   You don't have to run the emulator of course. ...   Dec 20 2012, 07:59 PM
nnn
nnn
|- - Todd Simpson   It always come back to the money The good news is...   Jan 31 2013, 04:58 AM
nnn
- - llibach   This is great advice guys, I'm currently looki...   Dec 20 2012, 10:49 PM
|- - Todd Simpson   I've been using both over the years and I must...   Dec 20 2012, 11:58 PM
|- - llibach   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2012, 10:58 ...   Dec 21 2012, 12:27 AM
|- - Todd Simpson   Cool The 21 is a fine unit. Is it a DUAL CORE? As...   Dec 21 2012, 04:43 AM
|- - llibach   QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 21 2012, 03:43 ...   Dec 26 2012, 03:28 PM
|- - Bogdan Radovic   QUOTE (llibach @ Dec 26 2012, 03:28 PM) I...   Dec 26 2012, 11:36 PM
|- - tonymiro   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 26 2012, 10:3...   Dec 27 2012, 11:04 AM
|- - llibach   QUOTE (Bogdan Radovic @ Dec 26 2012, 10:3...   Jan 14 2013, 11:07 PM
|- - vonhotch   QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 14 2013, 10:07 PM) S...   Jan 15 2013, 03:00 AM
|- - tonymiro   QUOTE (llibach @ Jan 14 2013, 10:07 PM) ....   Jan 15 2013, 09:57 AM
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
nnn
- - PosterBoy   After selling my amp last night I'm almost at ...   Dec 31 2012, 03:34 PM
|- - SpaseMoonkey   QUOTE (PosterBoy @ Dec 31 2012, 09:34 AM)...   Dec 31 2012, 09:01 PM
nnn
- - ConnorGilks   QUOTE (vonhotch @ Jan 15 2013, 02:00 AM) ...   Jan 15 2013, 10:23 AM
- - tonymiro   No monitor is perfectly flat, transparent and neut...   Jan 15 2013, 10:38 AM
|- - llibach   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 15 2013, 09:38 AM) ...   Jan 15 2013, 06:54 PM
nnn
- - ConnorGilks   QUOTE (tonymiro @ Jan 15 2013, 09:38 AM) ...   Jan 26 2013, 03:27 AM
nnn
nnn

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 02:00 PM