Digging The Evh Tone
Mertay
Dec 14 2018, 09:19 PM
GMC:er
Never liked it to be honest smile.gif

Cause I guess its quite the opposite of "creamy" when you think distortion, bad examples are harsh so no wonder there are so many trying to get that sound for so many years.

I was testing some amps in the gt-1 to figure out which can take the drive I want, the evh was one of the amps that stood out. So I started messing with the eq's, comparing with other amps and noticed there was quite versatility to its eq's. Making a muddy sound bright is very hard but the opposite is much easier, this in mind the evh shined.

Normally I like thicker (more low-mid.s) but with enough higher-end freq response (driven marshall) but the usual problem with that is the lowest strings tend to get lost in the mix, you might have noticed that in albums/concerts. The EVH has lowered low-mid.s so these strings can be heard quite easy, then you start cutting the highs and adjust level till everything sits.

Currently fine-tunning as I'm trying to get an easy to adjust tone for any sort of backing track, but if one want to give it a try with their processor it might be worth it. Don't forget to adjust the output for every change of the amp eq, its very mid-centric amp eq so you might feel lost pretty easy if you don't adjust the output constantly.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 14 2018, 09:20 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 14 2018, 09:48 PM
So which EVH amp did you buy? Love to see it!

Todd

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 14 2018, 10:26 PM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 14 2018, 08:48 PM) *

I wish laugh.gif Just digging emulations and ir's smile.gif

But I did also download fine freeware from this guy; https://nickcrowlab.blogspot.com the matching cab. ir can be searched as "celestion g12h impulse" if anyones interested.

Quite surprisingly my boss gt-1's cab. was pretty accurate for the tech. it had when analyzing ir's. But to get a bit closer I did insert an eq after for fine-tuning.

PS; I come across many gear but the EVH stuff might be the least. Rather than the price tags, EVH isn't as big in Europe/Asia as it is compared to USA.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 14 2018, 10:27 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 15 2018, 08:48 PM
Here is a quick example of an EVH amp with EVH cab IR. Can you upload a sample of what you are getting?

https://soundcloud.com/techniqueswithtodd/evh-ir-and-amp

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 14 2018, 05:26 PM) *
I wish laugh.gif Just digging emulations and ir's smile.gif

But I did also download fine freeware from this guy; https://nickcrowlab.blogspot.com the matching cab. ir can be searched as "celestion g12h impulse" if anyones interested.

Quite surprisingly my boss gt-1's cab. was pretty accurate for the tech. it had when analyzing ir's. But to get a bit closer I did insert an eq after for fine-tuning.

PS; I come across many gear but the EVH stuff might be the least. Rather than the price tags, EVH isn't as big in Europe/Asia as it is compared to USA.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 15 2018, 09:46 PM
Still work in progress but sure, but since I used an external eq the amp eq settings are a bit off now;

First is only gt-1 amp (full gain) and cab: bass-20 mid-100 treble-25 presence-50
Second is added eq (mainly soloing in mind)
Third is with a clean boost, I haven't got to experiment with ganstaging much yet but I use the clean boost for quick checks

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/evhcurrent

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 15 2018, 10:36 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 16 2018, 04:39 AM
Always interesting to hear how different these things can sound. The patch I'm using the the EVH patch in the METAL GODS pack for EZ MIX 2. That plugin is the quickest way to get decent tone that I"ve ever found. It's not as flexible as overloud, but it's darn quick. You just pick a patch and bam your done. You can't actually change most of the parameters or what gear is in the patch so it's really simple to use. It has patches for everything from vocals/bass/drums/guitar. It can honestly do every instrument and vocals for when one wants to work up a really quick demo idea. Been a very handy bit of kit.

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 15 2018, 04:46 PM) *
Still work in progress but sure, but since I used an external eq the amp eq settings are a bit off now;

First is only gt-1 amp (full gain) and cab: bass-20 mid-100 treble-25 presence-50
Second is added eq (mainly soloing in mind)
Third is with a clean boost, I haven't got to experiment with ganstaging much yet but I use the clean boost for quick checks

https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/evhcurrent

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 16 2018, 10:01 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 16 2018, 03:39 AM) *
Always interesting to hear how different these things can sound. The patch I'm using the the EVH patch in the METAL GODS pack for EZ MIX 2. That plugin is the quickest way to get decent tone that I"ve ever found. It's not as flexible as overloud, but it's darn quick. You just pick a patch and bam your done. You can't actually change most of the parameters or what gear is in the patch so it's really simple to use. It has patches for everything from vocals/bass/drums/guitar. It can honestly do every instrument and vocals for when one wants to work up a really quick demo idea. Been a very handy bit of kit.

I remember demoing probably an older version of it as its been a while. The approach isn't really for me as I like tweak-ability for balance reasons or customizing, that speed sort of takes the fun away for me but I do store personal presets I made.

With the gt-1 since I was aiming for a shred tone, I first boost the amp a lot (and have pedals ready to boost even more) to start adjusting cab. and eq. Its to see if the selected amp can (technically) handle the dist. I want and if yes move forward to freq. related adjustments. Although at first I want to limit myself to only amp eq and cab. selection, usually cause of personal tastes I end-up adding an eq (the eq sort of serves as the mic. selection the gt-1 doesn't offer). This is also where downloading freeware amps and ir's help as reference tones.

It takes a while to get a balance I like but also easy to tweak, for example I probably downloaded 10 backing tracks from youtube to test that tone and with tweaking finally found myself using only output and 1 other knob (adjusting highs). To my ears very rare backing tracks are well balanced mix or masters, so the tweak-ability of the preset is very important. Currently I'm almost finished with that part.

Finally I do gain staging, try decrease the amps gain knob and balance it with pedals. 100% gain on digital or even analog amps rarely sound good in my experience so thats where which pedal and its settings get important. I'll post an in-use short clip too when I'm done.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 17 2018, 06:28 AM
For tweaking I always use Overloud as it's the most flexible I've found and has dual signal paths and let's you use as much outboard gear, pedals, cabs/mics as you like. To this day I have not found a plugin with that degree of flexibility. EZ MIX is not about that at all though. It's "EZ MIX" so it's all about "EZ" smile.gif The default patches are not great but with one or more of the patch banks download/add ons, they are pretty darn good. For quick and dirty stuff, still unbeatable so far. One plugin can work for every track when trying to get moving on a song.
Todd

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 16 2018, 05:01 AM) *
I remember demoing probably an older version of it as its been a while. The approach isn't really for me as I like tweak-ability for balance reasons or customizing, that speed sort of takes the fun away for me but I do store personal presets I made.

With the gt-1 since I was aiming for a shred tone, I first boost the amp a lot (and have pedals ready to boost even more) to start adjusting cab. and eq. Its to see if the selected amp can (technically) handle the dist. I want and if yes move forward to freq. related adjustments. Although at first I want to limit myself to only amp eq and cab. selection, usually cause of personal tastes I end-up adding an eq (the eq sort of serves as the mic. selection the gt-1 doesn't offer). This is also where downloading freeware amps and ir's help as reference tones.

It takes a while to get a balance I like but also easy to tweak, for example I probably downloaded 10 backing tracks from youtube to test that tone and with tweaking finally found myself using only output and 1 other knob (adjusting highs). To my ears very rare backing tracks are well balanced mix or masters, so the tweak-ability of the preset is very important. Currently I'm almost finished with that part.

Finally I do gain staging, try decrease the amps gain knob and balance it with pedals. 100% gain on digital or even analog amps rarely sound good in my experience so thats where which pedal and its settings get important. I'll post an in-use short clip too when I'm done.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 19 2018, 09:39 PM
https://soundcloud.com/gitarg-nl-kleri/gt1sample

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 20 2018, 03:03 AM
Sounds good! I think you need to share it with BOSS! Some of their demos don't sound near this good.
Todd
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 19 2018, 04:39 PM) *

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 20 2018, 08:51 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 20 2018, 02:03 AM) *
Sounds good! I think you need to share it with BOSS! Some of their demos don't sound near this good.
Todd

Thanks smile.gif

I analyzed my analog pedal too and matched it with the one in the processor. Todd, did you ever use an OCD type pedal (or clone) as a boost? cause I think you'll really like it, right between the liveliness of a DS1 and the sustain of a TS9.

This example was all digital with default settings, if with my analog pedal+input preamps of my soundcard then it sounds a bit better. I still feel there's room for eq improvement but this default is really easy to tweak from one backing track to another, so my next updates will be made more careful on the long run.

I will post it on a different forum and provide the preset for those in need smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 21 2018, 03:22 AM
i've used wads of various pedals as clean boost and it's wads of fun. My fave is still probably the Misha Pro Tone as it seemed to have the most range/flexibility of any boost I've ever tried. However, I found I was able to mimic the effect/tone of that boost using the parametric eq inside my 11 rack and the parametric I use at the start of all my patches in th2. Very little EQ, mostly a low hz cut and bit of upper mid boost along with increased the output volume of the parametric unit. After earballing it, I was able to get both to sound like the ProTone at which point I sold the protone. smile.gif

I did have to wait several MONTHS just to get the protone after ordering it and it was $300. So while I did love the thing, it was just too pricey to keep and I was able to pay off the 11 rack after selling it. These days, I don't use a boost as I don't need one anymore. Just use the parametric at the head of my signal chain smile.gif But that's just me. I have noticed that many guitar players are NOT comfortable using a parametric eq. I've suggested it to several folks (not here at GMC of course) who simply don't like parametrics or didn't understand or want to mess with it.

*not my settings here, just what the 11 para looks like.
Attached Image
QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 20 2018, 03:51 AM) *
Thanks smile.gif

I analyzed my analog pedal too and matched it with the one in the processor. Todd, did you ever use an OCD type pedal (or clone) as a boost? cause I think you'll really like it, right between the liveliness of a DS1 and the sustain of a TS9.

This example was all digital with default settings, if with my analog pedal+input preamps of my soundcard then it sounds a bit better. I still feel there's room for eq improvement but this default is really easy to tweak from one backing track to another, so my next updates will be made more careful on the long run.

I will post it on a different forum and provide the preset for those in need smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Dec 21 2018, 03:23 AM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 21 2018, 11:17 AM
Thats very similar to what I do with the Glove!

The shift switch (sort of tilts rather than cut) can lower the bass a lot, then the tone knob for mid.s. The filters are very gentle so it sounds like tilt eq focusing mostly on mid.s. There's also a switch inside, normal mode is like ocd breakup and other lowers the voltage which is sort of a fuzzy broken tube saturation. I like both options, the low-voltage decreases headroom more in a natural way which is what I want before hitting the digital relm.

https://youtu.be/rwOntByXhBk?t=9

Cause of this pedal I started to like slightly fuzzy od's more than expected. You can't drive them as much but their breakup really help getting that loud-amp feeling for shredding.

This post has been edited by Mertay: Dec 21 2018, 12:44 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2018, 08:16 AM
Cool!! I still love trying out new pedals smile.gif Also love trying new multi pedals, new plugins, etc. I'm just a gear nut!!!!! I don't think I"ll ever get tired of it. I often will be trying a new bit of kit and be recording a collab of some kind at the same time and use the new gear for the music I'm working on. This is always fun as it's the best way imho to test gear, to put it to real use. It can cause some issues though as I've sold bit's of kit that I used on various tracks and then went back later to re record something and the gear I used to get that tone is gone and I have to figure out some way to fake it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Mertay
Dec 22 2018, 08:22 PM
Lol yeah, to find the glove I think I went through 4-5 pedals. They were all nice in their way, I wish I could keep them but personal expectation+saving the money is needed for me.

But having it for 2 years now and not considering selling, I guess I finally landed on solid ground. I'm always demoing something when I get the chance but my next od purchase will probably be for the upgrade rather than something new. Still haven't landed on the distortion though biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2018, 08:55 PM
I"m the same way smile.gif Just can't help myself from trying out new gear!!! If I ever ran across something that was just way better than what I'd been using, I'd switch to it. So far, it has not happened. Then again, I've never owned a Kemper or an Axe Fx smile.gif

QUOTE (Mertay @ Dec 22 2018, 03:22 PM) *
Lol yeah, to find the glove I think I went through 4-5 pedals. They were all nice in their way, I wish I could keep them but personal expectation+saving the money is needed for me.

But having it for 2 years now and not considering selling, I guess I finally landed on solid ground. I'm always demoing something when I get the chance but my next od purchase will probably be for the upgrade rather than something new. Still haven't landed on the distortion though biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 03:23 PM