Neural Link, Elon Musk (brain Computer Interface), Not Guitar, but not Political :)
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2018, 10:18 AM
GMC:er
A while back, Elon Musk (The guy behind TESLA Motors who makes electric cars, and Space X that makes Space Rockets) announced he is working on NEURAL LINK. This venture seeks to create a Neural Lace which will be injected in to the skull and cover your brain in a coating of technology that will allow it to communicate with external computers. Yup, he wants to make us all in to cyborgs smile.gif I though it was pure bunk at first, but he's actually serious. So who knows, we could be seeing actual products with this technology in a few years. He has often said that he fears the rise of artificial intelligence and this may be a way to fight his AI fears by allowing people to control computers instead of allowing computers to control themselves. Here is a vid. What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 22 2018, 06:41 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 22 2018, 10:18 AM) *
A while back, Elon Musk (The guy behind TESLA Motors who makes electric cars, and Space X that makes Space Rockets) announced he is working on NEURAL LINK. This venture seeks to create a Neural Lace which will be injected in to the skull and cover your brain in a coating of technology that will allow it to communicate with external computers. Yup, he wants to make us all in to cyborgs smile.gif I though it was pure bunk at first, but he's actually serious. So who knows, we could be seeing actual products with this technology in a few years. He has often said that he fears the rise of artificial intelligence and this may be a way to fight his AI fears by allowing people to control computers instead of allowing computers to control themselves. Here is a vid. What do you think?

I think TESLA does guitar pickups too, someone told me so. Anyway, I don't like where this is going. I mean the idea may be innovative etc. but humanity isn't ready for this, not mature enough. I dare say we are not ready for the technology that's already in use but this... Also this way imagine hackers who would learn to reverse the communication, that could lead to mind control and brainwashing (literally). In sci-fi books there's AI that behaves as programmed and AI that learns through experience and acts on its own. If people want to control AI they shouldn't go for the latter. I'm a traditionalist and imho, people shouldn't rely on the machines so much. The Matrix movies were an impossible fiction on release but slowly we're getting close to make it real...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 22 2018, 07:33 PM
It's something to think about for sure. Mr Musk and other tech gurus have been trying to warn us about the "singularity" (when computers become self aware) for a while now. It's basically the TERMINATOR story line / MATRIX story line which is just a re telling of Frankentstein in many ways. Our own creations may eventually rise up and destroy us. It sounds like science fiction. However, we are getting closer to it. The invention of Quantum Computers is the breakthrough that may make it happen. They have the potential to behave more like a human brain and have exponentially more power than a regular super computer. I hope we have the wisdom, as a culture, to not give in entirely to technology. Hopefully we can all maintain balance smile.gif
Todd

QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 22 2018, 01:41 PM) *
I think TESLA does guitar pickups too, someone told me so. Anyway, I don't like where this is going. I mean the idea may be innovative etc. but humanity isn't ready for this, not mature enough. I dare say we are not ready for the technology that's already in use but this... Also this way imagine hackers who would learn to reverse the communication, that could lead to mind control and brainwashing (literally). In sci-fi books there's AI that behaves as programmed and AI that learns through experience and acts on its own. If people want to control AI they shouldn't go for the latter. I'm a traditionalist and imho, people shouldn't rely on the machines so much. The Matrix movies were an impossible fiction on release but slowly we're getting close to make it real...

+Quote Post
Adam
Dec 22 2018, 07:58 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Dec 22 2018, 07:33 PM) *
It's something to think about for sure. Mr Musk and other tech gurus have been trying to warn us about the "singularity" (when computers become self aware) for a while now. It's basically the TERMINATOR story line / MATRIX story line which is just a re telling of Frankentstein in many ways. Our own creations may eventually rise up and destroy us. It sounds like science fiction. However, we are getting closer to it. The invention of Quantum Computers is the breakthrough that may make it happen. They have the potential to behave more like a human brain and have exponentially more power than a regular super computer. I hope we have the wisdom, as a culture, to not give in entirely to technology. Hopefully we can all maintain balance smile.gif
Todd

I hope so! Reducing the use of technology could be a side effect of slowing down the climate change, ideally we could achieve both. Now employers are more likely to use machines because they are cheaper to pay but if the machines become self-aware, they would demand a payment too. And I imagine it would be much harder to negotiate. That scenario was used in Animatrix: The Second Renaissance I and II. But cutting the cost has its downsides in every aspect. I didn't use enough lighting as a teenager when reading books and now I'm stuck with glasses, just to name one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Dec 24 2018, 08:53 PM
It's going to be interesting to see where tech takes us in the next few years. Some folks are saying doom and gloom and other folks say a new golden age. We shall see smile.gif
Todd
QUOTE (Adam M @ Dec 22 2018, 02:58 PM) *
I hope so! Reducing the use of technology could be a side effect of slowing down the climate change, ideally we could achieve both. Now employers are more likely to use machines because they are cheaper to pay but if the machines become self-aware, they would demand a payment too. And I imagine it would be much harder to negotiate. That scenario was used in Animatrix: The Second Renaissance I and II. But cutting the cost has its downsides in every aspect. I didn't use enough lighting as a teenager when reading books and now I'm stuck with glasses, just to name one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:04 PM