Rg Strap Button Question
Goliath
Sep 23 2007, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
The stock strap button on my RG550XX is screwed into the forward "fin" at the thinnest location. As a result, through putting the strap on and taking it off, it gets loose pretty easily and I find myself continually tightening it because I'm anal about that kind of stuff (and I know eventually if I ignore it, it will pull out of the body and I'll drop my guitar. Now I know I can back the screw ALL the way out, put a toothpick in the hole then screw the strap button back in but even that doesn't give me the feel I'm looking for, anyone have any other solutions?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
botoxfox
Sep 23 2007, 11:53 PM
I have the same guitar and I don't have that problem. What kind of strap are you using?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Saoirse O'Shea
Sep 24 2007, 12:36 AM
Moderator - low level high stakes
I fitted my Gibson and custom with Schaller straplocks Goliath - don't have an Ibanez but these might help - also I tend to just leave the strap on.

Cheers,
Tony

--------------------
Get your music professionally mastered by anl AES registered Mastering Engineer. Contact me for Audio Mastering Services and Advice and visit our website www.miromastering.com

Be friends on facebook with us here.

We use professional, mastering grade hardware in our mastering studo. Our hardware includes:
Cranesong Avocet II Monitor Controller, Dangerous Music Liasion Insert Hardware Router, ATC SCM Pro Monitors, Lavry Black DA11, Prism Orpheus ADC/DAC, Gyratec Gyraf XIV Parallel Passive Mastering EQ, Great River MAQ 2NV Mastering EQ, Kush Clariphonic Parallel EQ Shelf, Maselec MLA-2 Mastering Compressor, API 2500 Mastering Compressor, Eventide Eclipse Reverb/Echo.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 28 2007, 08:39 PM
For a while I was using the strap that came with the guitar with the "Ibanez 20th" on it, which was a royal pain taking off and putting on. Now since I've not been taking it anywhere I don't use one, but when I do start traveling with it again I'll probably use my Levi's faded strap that is a little more forgiving and easier to get on/take off. I've been thinking about strap locks but am worried that they too will pull out of the body.

I'll probably just end up shimming the screw w/ a toothpick.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 28 2007, 09:05 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
basswood is sadly enough a soft wood and once that problem you've got has started it's won't get better, only worse.

The toothpick is a quick and fair fix.

What I'd do for a permanent fix - not saying it's the right thing to do or even the best fix either for that matter - would be to fill the hole with ... don't know what you call it but look up "plastic padding" and you see what I mean. It works on wood and gets rock hard. You'd then drill a hole (smaller diameter compared to the screw) and screw the strap holder tight. Downside to this is that you'll get a different color where you mended it but I think that's nothing a wider cover plate can't fix or some color. it's on the fin, noone will notice.

And as a side note I think it's bad this happens to a new guitar.

+Quote Post
Goliath
Sep 29 2007, 02:04 AM
Mike what you're talking about is Wood Filler Putty. The toothpick solution should work as well, if you break it up a couple times and bend it back on itself and come close to filling the hole then screw the button back in. I've done it in one other guitar, the only problem is the screw will still rotate when you turn it and won't get that bite that it would into a solid piece of wood, I was just curious if anyone knew any other solutions. I suppose I could go to a fatter screw in my strap button.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:18 AM