American Football, Indie Rock/ Emo-ish
VinceG
Mar 20 2009, 03:19 AM
GMC:er
One of Chicago's finest band in the late 90's, American Football is really something else. The band perfectly combines soothing, alluring guitar medley's into beautiful yet dark/depressing lyrics. The way the guitars and vocals complement each other is something that is barely done in music nowadays. This is like pure Chicago style Indie with that later style of a more mellower Emotive Hardcore style ala Sunny Day Real Estate. If you don't know what I'm blabbing about in here, just listen to the band.

Origin of the band's name.

Mike Kinsella explained the band's name as follows:
"My girlfriend had been in Dublin, Ireland visiting her family. One of the things she brought home for me was a flyer for a Chicago Bears exhibition game that said: "Come see American Football, featuring the most overpaid athletes in the world." Something about that statement made me think of rock bands, most of whom are the most overpaid musicians in the world. When I suggested it as a name, the other guys thought it was dumb. Still, for whatever reason, we kept it."

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by VinceG: Mar 20 2009, 03:19 AM

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 5)
fkalich
Mar 20 2009, 03:44 AM
thanks, had not heard of them. good find.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
VinceG
Mar 20 2009, 09:30 AM
Thanks for checking it out Fkalich. I'm glad you've come to like American Football. Check out Cap'n Jazz and Joan of Arc. Not technically the same, but they are on the same scene in Chicago as American Football.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 25 2009, 09:34 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Haha wow I was just about to go out on a rant about the Dallas Cowboys haha (thats my favorite team for American Football)! Cool band thanks for sharing!

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Mar 25 2009, 09:41 PM
QUOTE (TreyDeschamp @ Mar 25 2009, 03:34 PM) *
Haha wow I was just about to go out on a rant about the Dallas Cowboys haha (thats my favorite team for American Football)! Cool band thanks for sharing!

Trey, about your sig gif of Gilbert. Uhhhhhh. Ummmmmm. Uhhhhhhh. On second thought, forget it.

+Quote Post
TreyDeschamp
Mar 25 2009, 09:47 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (fkalich @ Mar 25 2009, 03:41 PM) *
Trey, about your sig gif of Gilbert. Uhhhhhh. Ummmmmm. Uhhhhhhh. On second thought, forget it.

What about it haha...

--------------------
Check out my Youtube!
Add me on Facebook!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:09 AM