Whammy Bar
Kizaze44
Dec 29 2008, 10:54 PM
GMC:er
One of my guitars is the Ibanez RG 2550. One problem (if it is a problem) is that the whammy bar doesn't "swing freely" when I let it go. In other words, I have to move it down to the "six o'clock" position after I use it in a lick. Shouldn't it just swing down by itself when I let it go?

-Kizaze

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
UncleSkillet
Dec 29 2008, 11:20 PM
Learning Tone Seeker
I think tremolo systems are just different. Mine does the same as yours (a little stiff) and I prefer it that way. When I do use it I know where it is at and then just give it a bump when I am finish and it goes to about 2 or 3 o'clock position.

On one of my old Kramer guitars the bar just goes where ever it wants and while jamming in a live situation it would drive me crazy. It was always running away from where I wanted to grab it. Very unpredictable.

I think its really person preference. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Think of a guitar solo as a paragraph. You need a clear beginning, a middle, and an end. Look at musical phrases like sentences, and make sure you break them up using punctuation—or space. You pause naturally when conversing, right? If you don't, you'll bore the listener. The same thing will happen with your audience if your solo is one dimensional. You'll wear them out and lose their attention." —Tom Principato

+Quote Post
kjutte
Dec 29 2008, 11:22 PM
QUOTE (Kizaze44 @ Dec 29 2008, 10:54 PM) *
One of my guitars is the Ibanez RG 2550. One problem (if it is a problem) is that the whammy bar doesn't "swing freely" when I let it go. In other words, I have to move it down to the "six o'clock" position after I use it in a lick. Shouldn't it just swing down by itself when I let it go?

-Kizaze

Depends on the plastic fills around the arm.
The friction decides.

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Dec 29 2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks Uncle,

I don't mind it so much - like you said, you always know where it is. I just didn't know if it was broken or damaged.

Thanks,
Kizaze

+Quote Post
Vaialation1232
Dec 29 2008, 11:29 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (UncleSkillet @ Dec 29 2008, 02:20 PM) *
I think tremolo systems are just different. Mine does the same as yours (a little stiff) and I prefer it that way. When I do use it I know where it is at and then just give it a bump when I am finish and it goes to about 2 or 3 o'clock position.

On one of my old Kramer guitars the bar just goes where ever it wants and while jamming in a live situation it would drive me crazy. It was always running away from where I wanted to grab it. Very unpredictable.

I think its really person preference. smile.gif

Yeah, my guitar's whammy bar is always where ever it feels like...i stuck some plastic around it and now it sticks better...but for being too stiff i dunno maybe get new bushings or even take one off and see if that helps? if anything though being stiff is a good thing cause if its too loose you can't do half the tricks you may want to

+Quote Post
Kizaze44
Dec 29 2008, 11:32 PM
I wouldn't call it "stiff", it just stays wherever I put it. There's no tension when I rotate it, so I'll assume it's not broken. (First whammy bar for me - still learning)

-Kiz

+Quote Post
Dexxter
Dec 29 2008, 11:42 PM
Learning Tone Guru
You should be able to adjust the tension of your whammy bar. Read the manual or google it to find out how to adjust your smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 06:29 AM