Working On Rhythm And Timing
iamblackmo
Oct 29 2009, 04:47 AM
GMC:er
I have gotten to a point where I feel confident in my lead skills and need to focus on two major areas that are cramping my evolution as a guitar player. These areas are timing/rhythm and improvisation. I am not so worried about improving because the more lessons I learn, the greater my vocabulary of riffs and ideas: This leaves,

1) Timing and Rhythm
I learned how to read sheet music and score when I was in High School playing the saxaphone. I have pretty much forgotten everything I learned back then. What I recall though was playing the piece while keeping timing with the score.

I am having a HUGE problem with this while playing the guitar. I want to improve my timing and rhythm and what I have been doing is relying on guitar-pro tabs and following along with the score as the it plays the music.

This helps but I am hoping there are some other useful techniques or even lessons I can focus on. Particularly when it comes to placement and duration of notes while SOLOING. (I am OK when it comes to rhythm).

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 3)
Staffy
Oct 29 2009, 05:59 AM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (iamblackmo @ Oct 29 2009, 04:47 AM) *
This helps but I am hoping there are some other useful techniques or even lessons I can focus on. Particularly when it comes to placement and duration of notes while SOLOING. (I am OK when it comes to rhythm).

There are plenty of lessons dealing with this matter, do a search to the right for the keywords. Also practicing with metronome is essential, starting at very low tempos and then increase the tempo. Back in the old day's I was also playing a lot to records along with my favourite artists. A good idea today might be to always practice to some kind of rhythm, eg. a drum pattern or metronome.

//Staffay

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Guitars: Ibanez AM-200, Ibanez GB-10, Fender Stratocaster Classic Player, Warmouth Custom Built, Suhr Classic Strat, Gibson Les Paul Standard 2003, Ibanez steel-string
Amps: Fender Hot Rod Deluxe, Marshall JMP 2103, AER 60
Effects: BOSS DD-20, Danelectro Trans. Overdrive, TC-Electronics G-Major, Dunlop Wah-wah, Original SansAmp, BOSS DD-2
Music by Staffy can be found at: Staffay at MySpace

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Oct 29 2009, 08:35 PM
Instructor
The thing I can recommend is that you practice everything with all kinds of note durations. This will create a better feel for different note durations and note groups. Check out my pentatonic workshop lesson level 1, and see how the practice is done. Metronoem stays in one place, but note durations change. This way you aquire the feel for different kinds of rhythm patterns. It's the basic example, but this kind of principle (along side with incrasing metronome slightly on every note duration) is what will give you superb sense for rhythm.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Pedja Simovic
Oct 29 2009, 08:42 PM
Instructor
Its good to know you are already using guitar pro for it. As far as lessons are concerned, I can recommend you one of mine that focuses on time feel soloing (application of various rhythms - fast and slow) as well as straight vs syncopated soloing (soloing on and off the beat).

Here are the links for you :

LINK

LINK

Let me know if you have any extra questions !

P.S. Practice with metronome, backing tracks, actual solos and everything you can get your hands on - it will make your rhythm stronger.

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:24 PM