Important Question About Legato
browq
Apr 13 2008, 01:37 PM
GMC:er
Hy guys

This question popped into my head after watching this video

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_7-zD2IQYTw

this guy talks about a strange way (at least to me) to play legato. And i'm wondering how you guys are playing/pratecing legato runs. for example you play this pattern

--9p8p6h8h9
--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------
--------------

and you repeat that over and over again. At the time i pull of on the 9th fret my ring finger is already positioned on the 8th and already on the 6th. The guy in the video explains this as ancoring. And to me this seems like the only way to play legato. I think david and pavel play it like this as well. But this guy talks about a legato technique where at the moment he pulls of on the 9th fret at the same time he hammers on the 8th fret with his ring finger. And the sound this makes is a lot clearer than when you so called "ancor" your finger. will anchoring your fingers when playing legato be limmiting your speed? if i analyse my own legato i use both techniques. wich of the 2 techniques should i practice more to really get those fast fluid satch style runs?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Gus
Apr 13 2008, 02:23 PM
GMC:er
I never thought about this thing the guy does in the end of the video... huh.gif

It always seemed natural to me that if you are going to pull off for 8th fret, your thing is already there...

I will give it a try though.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
Daniel Robinson
Apr 13 2008, 05:32 PM
Instructor
Yes this seems like a rather odd way to play legato, but after messing around with it i can see the appeal. Its not natural for me yet by a long shot but i am gonna keep practicing it this way. I also tried doing pure hammers while descending too.

Kinda like tapping your fingers on a table or what not. It feels funny not anchoring my hand but it produces a clearly different tonality.

I never really thought about changing how i do legato cause i learned it by anchoring, but it makes sense to learn some other ways to do it if your looking for a specific sound.

Now i do change my finger angle when looking for a certain tone. When i am looking for a more random sounding grouping of notes i will use a light touch with the very tip of my fingers. When i am doing something that has more focus on the rhythm i roll my fingers back closer to the pads of my fingers.

Daniel

--------------------
Check out my video lessons!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 05:28 AM