What Is Officially The Lowest Key In Music
Guitar1969
Aug 6 2008, 08:16 PM
GMC:er
Andrew:
I've asked this same question to a few musicians and never have received an answer that sounds right.

what is the proper order of music keys from low to high in a general musical context(Or in vocal context). Now I know that the keys just repeat over and over , so there really is no first or last, but when working with a singer that can't sign a song in the original key it was written in, I have had to transpose the song to a different key.

I know for a 6 string guitar the lowest possible note is E, and in open positions(lowest octave)an E chord is lowest, but I have had singers say to me to change a key to something higher, which doesn't seem higher to me - I had one tell me that the key of D is higher than the key of E overall. I understand that it can be relative to the instrument(Such as a piano has a different lowest note), but what is the general order of keys when it comes to keys and singers.

Thanks,

Michael

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"Three Chords & The Truth . . ."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Jerry Arcidiacon...
Nov 27 2008, 09:45 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 27 2008, 09:11 AM) *
On a piano the lowest key is to the far left tongue.gif

Good answer... biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

::: Main Gear :::

Guitars: Washburn N4 Vintage | Washburn N2 | Washburn WI67Pro | Washburn WG-587 | Washburn EA20B
Amps: Laney GH50L (head) | Laney GS410 & GS212IE (cabinets) | Rocktron PROGAP Ultra (rack preamp) | Rocktron Velocity 150 (power amp) | Marshall VS230 (combo)
FXs: Rocktron Intellifex + custom pedalboard (check my video demo)
Other: Shredneck | Intellitouch PT10 tuner
Picks: Esseti Picks

Software & Recording Gear: Cubase 4 | Overloud TH1 | Mackie Onyx 400F | EZdrummer | Korg Pandora PX4D

-------------------------------------------------------

myspace.com/jerryarcidiacono

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 09:30 PM