Regrets
JeroenKole
Aug 4 2008, 11:29 PM
GMC:er
I've been thinking about this the whole evening already and I think I should start a topic about this.

Since I've joined GMC my practice routine over the week has gone from pretty much zero to 2 hours each day (which doesn't say a lot as I've only joined for a little more than a week). However, I've begun to notice a few things about the guitars I have, and has made me regret buying both.

the good guitar (Ibanez S320) has a very thin neck which really is a big problem when it comes to my thumb issue. It has a floating trem (what was I thinking when I bought it unsure.gif ) that has luckily been changed to downward only by the local guitartech. And because of the strings I use (.012, due to my heavy fingering and heavy picking, they also seem to feel the best to my fingers) I have to put the action too high to play comfortably (due to fret buzz etc.).

The guitar shaped object has better sized neck (more of a C shape). And a scalloped neck (which I really dig). The guitar itself is horrible though, detunes within one second, and the hardware has given the finger to me. Also the neck is S shaped in length and no truss rod work will change that.

I have promised myself that I might reward myself with a custom guitar completely to my specs If my progress has been good enough in the coming year.

However, due to the nature of the guitars, practicing is getting demotivating because one equals pain and the other is just so bad there isn't any name for it (other then a huge amount of swearing). So I was thinking should I get another guitar?

However, if I buy another guitar, to my feeling I would break my own promise. And It seems that there is simply no guitar of any company that has what I want in a guitar. And currently, in my opinion I'm not worth a custom guitar at all. Neither can I allow myself into impulsive buying, due to my ADD.

However, My current financial situation would allow me to buy an high end low end guitar without problems, and a custom guitar if I would get a job on the side. And The other guitars are getting pretty annoying.

As you can see I'm in a little dilemma. And I was hoping any of you would have some advice for me.

Also I would like to hear stories of gear you've bought and had regrets about after buying.

Thank you,

J

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Darfuria
Aug 4 2008, 11:34 PM
At the end of the day, the guitar doesn't make you a better player, but if you are in a position where you're uncomfortable playing, and there is nothing you can do to easily fix that, then I don't see anything wrong with getting another guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Want a website for you or your band? http://www.websiteformyband.com

+Quote Post
superize
Aug 4 2008, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Tone Guru
Sell the guitar you dont like and get a new one.... Because if you are not comfortable playing you wont have fun and that is what guitarplaying is all about

--------------------
My Gear

Ibanez RG
Jackson js30 warrior
jackson rr24
Line 6 Spider III amp
Line 6 pod xt live
Washburn acoustic

Youtube Account
My bands Myspace

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2008, 01:33 AM
Instructor
I feel very sorry to hear about
all those troubles your guitar has caused to you. sad.gif

Having custom is great thing,no doubt there.
But 012 is pretty heavy gauge,I haven't seen many guitars
with that gauge of strings and low/soft action.
In fact,it's much pressure on bridge and everything
and getting out of tune is at least you can expect.

So before you go for another guitar and break your promise
why don't you try with lighter gauge for a while,maybe 010?
You might set the action lower and play with more comfort,
which is all that counts after all,the comfort.
And after you see the progress you could get yourself a new guitar.
Just a thought. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
fkalich
Aug 5 2008, 02:17 AM
Sounds like you need a Gibson Les Paul to me. I look at the guitar world in similar fashion the the way the religious world was looked at with my Catholic upbringing. There were two types of people, Catholics, and non-Catholics.

There are two types of Guitars, Les Pauls and non-Les Pauls. Now I have 5 non-Les Pauls and I like them. But of course, nothing tops a Les Paul.

+Quote Post
Gus
Aug 5 2008, 03:13 AM
It happens to everyone. The more serious you get about guitar, the more you regret about low or mid end guitars you bought...

You also feel regret because you never gonna get the money back by selling it used...

As for your question, "should I get another guitar?". I'd say that first you should ask yourself "What is the guitar I really want?". When you answer this second question you will know how far from it you will be.
If you feel that regret about the guitars you have now, don't lose more money nor time buying a guitar that is not your dream guitar...

Meanwhile I'd suggest you follow Muris advice and use 010 strings. Your guitar will detune less often and comfort will increase. I think that there are advantages also in lighter gauges such as easier bending. So give it a long term try and you may actually change your preference. wink.gif

--------------------
my "Thank you GMC!" video

If you like it please vote in the competition ;-)

Gus Stairway to Guitar Heaven - my practice agenda

Check out my lesson here Phrygian Dominant Solo lesson

Gear : Ibanez RGT320q (I just love the neck-thru sustain), Washburn EA-20SDL (acoustic 6 string), Standard strat (Mexico), POD X3 Live

Some of my Guitar heroes: Jimmy Page, Slash, Kirk Hammett, Augusto Licks, Joe Satriani, Gus G, David Gilmour, Mark Knopfler...

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 5 2008, 10:55 AM
The problem is that back in the days in the days when I used downpicking for everything (including sixteenth notes up to 140 bpm) everything lighter then .010 strings would hit the A string, and although i've managed to switch succesfully to alternate picking (meaning that I don't think about it anymore while alternate picking) the .010's never were 'tight' enough. so about two months ago I've settled on .012's, which are in the right hand department at least responsive enough, meaning that they were exactly where I wanted them to be. But It might as well be the brand I'm using (D'addario).

so any of you know of a brand that has .010 strings that stay in place?

and also slightly offtopic. Are there any strings around that that remove the very annoying sliding sound, or is that just a matter of practice, practice, practice and maybe some more practice?

+Quote Post
MickeM
Aug 5 2008, 11:42 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
No suprise your guitar shaped object has a S-shaped neck when you put 012 on it laugh.gif
just kidding
One reason it goes out of tune could be that the nut can't handle 012 dimension strings. File it up a bit and put graffite in the cracks.

I think it's a good sign that you're getting sick and tired with crappy guitars. To me that sounds like you want to make progress but your tools are a bit too low end for you to be able to.

In my vision I see a sturdy guitar with locking tuners and a set bridge, no moving parts what so ever. And I see a man, he spends his entire day in the music shop trying out guitars until he finally, late in the afternoon finds one suitable for him.
Doesn't have to be expensive. Reach above the bottom segment for the ones sniffing in the premium guitars behind and you'll end up only spending a fair deal of money and get a good enough quality. But always when you're dealing with guitars that cost less than a fortune (like JEM's) try to get locking tuners if possible and a set bridge, for less problems.

Good luck!

EDIT: There are strings with a coating that prevents the sliding sound. I belive Elixir strings has a model with it.

This post has been edited by MickeM: Aug 5 2008, 11:44 AM

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Aug 5 2008, 12:22 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 5 2008, 11:55 AM) *
The problem is that back in the days in the days when I used downpicking for everything (including sixteenth notes up to 140 bpm) everything lighter then .010 strings would hit the A string, and although i've managed to switch succesfully to alternate picking (meaning that I don't think about it anymore while alternate picking) the .010's never were 'tight' enough. so about two months ago I've settled on .012's, which are in the right hand department at least responsive enough, meaning that they were exactly where I wanted them to be. But It might as well be the brand I'm using (D'addario).

so any of you know of a brand that has .010 strings that stay in place?

and also slightly offtopic. Are there any strings around that that remove the very annoying sliding sound, or is that just a matter of practice, practice, practice and maybe some more practice?

I really think it is a matter of getting used to it.

I have used basically everything from .012s to .09s during my time of playing, and now I'm with "Extra Slinky" Ernie Balls .09s. For me they stay in place. I geuss it also comes down to how hard you pick.

About the guitar, I too think you could maybe sell the guitar you like the least and get another one. There are cheap but good guitars out there.

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 5 2008, 12:36 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Aug 5 2008, 12:42 PM) *
No suprise your guitar shaped object has a S-shaped neck when you put 012 on it laugh.gif
just kidding
One reason it goes out of tune could be that the nut can't handle 012 dimension strings. File it up a bit and put graffite in the cracks.

I think it's a good sign that you're getting sick and tired with crappy guitars. To me that sounds like you want to make progress but your tools are a bit too low end for you to be able to.

In my vision I see a sturdy guitar with locking tuners and a set bridge, no moving parts what so ever. And I see a man, he spends his entire day in the music shop trying out guitars until he finally, late in the afternoon finds one suitable for him.
Doesn't have to be expensive. Reach above the bottom segment for the ones sniffing in the premium guitars behind and you'll end up only spending a fair deal of money and get a good enough quality. But always when you're dealing with guitars that cost less than a fortune (like JEM's) try to get locking tuners if possible and a set bridge, for less problems.

Good luck!

EDIT: There are strings with a coating that prevents the sliding sound. I belive Elixir strings has a model with it.

I was laughing so hard at what you had written. Because you intended it so well and it is is both true and wrong. laugh.gif

The S shaped neck was there even back in the day that I used .009 strings. This particular guitar does have .010´s on it because it were the only strings I still had at home. huh.gif

About the tuning, well I´m pretty certain it are the tuners and the bridge, saying they suck would be a compliment. But buying anything new for this guitar would be more expensive than replacing it. dry.gif

As for the high end guitar, I do have a dream guitar. However, It would be custom as I can´t find any guitar to my specs.
But currently It would just be a waste of money as I consider myself still a complete beginner (level 2-3 here on GMC tongue.gif). I am highly critical however so finding the right guitar is very important to me.

I'll check out the strings though. smile.gif

And Thank you all for your much appreciated advice already given and hopefully yet to come biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Aug 5 2008, 01:08 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
If you are unhappy with your guitars I'd sell them both.

In the meantime (until you can afford your custom and know if you will keep playing guitar), get a decent guitar to practice. There are loads of guitars out there that might do the trick, maybe an epiphone?. Just go the guitar store and try a few until you find the one.

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Moon Boots
Aug 5 2008, 01:39 PM
QUOTE (Fran @ Aug 5 2008, 01:08 PM) *
If you are unhappy with your guitars I'd sell them both.

In the meantime (until you can afford your custom and know if you will keep playing guitar), get a decent guitar to practice. There are loads of guitars out there that might do the trick, maybe an epiphone?. Just go the guitar store and try a few until you find the one.

Spot on I think. A decent epiphone will be much nicer to play and will have superior tuning stability to your current guitars. You can still get your dream guitar somewhere down the line but I'm sure that you will improve at a much faster rate if you're learning on a decent guitar!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2008, 03:10 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 5 2008, 01:36 PM) *
I was laughing so hard at what you had written. Because you intended it so well and it is is both true and wrong. laugh.gif

The S shaped neck was there even back in the day that I used .009 strings. This particular guitar does have .010´s on it because it were the only strings I still had at home. huh.gif

About the tuning, well I´m pretty certain it are the tuners and the bridge, saying they suck would be a compliment. But buying anything new for this guitar would be more expensive than replacing it. dry.gif

As for the high end guitar, I do have a dream guitar. However, It would be custom as I can´t find any guitar to my specs.
But currently It would just be a waste of money as I consider myself still a complete beginner (level 2-3 here on GMC tongue.gif). I am highly critical however so finding the right guitar is very important to me.

I'll check out the strings though. smile.gif

And Thank you all for your much appreciated advice already given and hopefully yet to come biggrin.gif

Please don't get me wrong
but as you progress more and your skills are higher
you'll see that differences between guitars is less and less.
I'm not talking about the sound and individual topics
but about your abilities to get the best from every instrument. smile.gif

Here's my situation, just to explain what I'm talking about. smile.gif
I'm fine with every radius of neck,many gauges of strings
as long it's not leading to extremely high acting
and almost impossible to play.
Only thing that really bothers me is Les Paul type bridge,
it's too small and I can't lay my picking fist on in nicely! smile.gif

Not sure what do you mean by annoying sliding sound tho. huh.gif
Ringing,like bells crystal sound?
If that is then MickeM has a point,
Elixir strings are coated and that might be the solution. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 5 2008, 04:11 PM
QUOTE (Muris Varajic @ Aug 5 2008, 04:10 PM) *
Please don't get me wrong
but as you progress more and your skills are higher
you'll see that differences between guitars is less and less.
I'm not talking about the sound and individual topics
but about your abilities to get the best from every instrument. smile.gif

Here's my situation, just to explain what I'm talking about. smile.gif
I'm fine with every radius of neck,many gauges of strings
as long it's not leading to extremely high acting
and almost impossible to play.
Only thing that really bothers me is Les Paul type bridge,
it's too small and I can't lay my picking fist on in nicely! smile.gif

Not sure what do you mean by annoying sliding sound tho. huh.gif
Ringing,like bells crystal sound?
If that is then MickeM has a point,
Elixir strings are coated and that might be the solution. smile.gif

You being wrong about guitar things would be something I have yet to see wink.gif

And I absolutely agree. I suck equally on both guitars. Which does put both my feet back on the ground as it leads me into the belief that buying unnecesary equipment doesn't make you play any better.

One of my aquaintances (Who has gotten pretty good) still plays the same guitar he started with. And part of that is that he started out with the right beginners guitar from the start, not particulary good, but very solid. (a Yamaha pacifica, I belief). And I started this topic mostly because I regret buying a very bad guitar (Curse you Blokker!) and a guitar that is actually very good, that I can, without fear, knock trough a plaster wall. But it has a neck that get's painful to play on after an hour due to the fact that my thumb issues do not allow me to play comfortably on a very thin neck.

About the Les Paul type bridge...

I Knew you weren't perfect!!! HAHA have at thee!
Just kidding tongue.gif
In the end these kind of things just come down to personal taste and playing style. smile.gif And your still one of my heroes wheter you like it or not! wink.gif

anyways, 'cause I'm going a very offtopic now. the main reason why I started this thread was to find out if other people have bought gear that they have had regrets about. Not because it was bad, but mostly because They bought it on impulse and now lies gathering dust somewhere. But somehow the wheels in my head made me go completely off topic I guess. ohmy.gif

About the sliding, basically the sound you hear in the beginning of this lesson. But to be honest I think eliminating this kind of sound is more a matter of practice, practice, practice and throw in some more practice aswell.

On another note. I have decided to restring the Ibanez with .010's to see how it responds to it. And I'm not going to buy another guitar yet, maybe a nice acoustic as I don't have one of those yet and they vastly differ from what I have currently. smile.gif

Thank you for all your replies and I hope this topic will change into what I originally intended it to be smile.gif

This post has been edited by JeroenKole: Aug 5 2008, 04:11 PM

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Aug 5 2008, 04:19 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JeroenKole @ Aug 5 2008, 05:11 PM) *
About the sliding, basically the sound you hear in the beginning of this lesson. But to be honest I think eliminating this kind of sound is more a matter of practice, practice, practice and throw in some more practice aswell.

On another note. I have decided to restring the Ibanez with .010's to see how it responds to it. And I'm not going to buy another guitar yet, maybe a nice acoustic as I don't have one of those yet and they vastly differ from what I have currently. smile.gif

Thank you for all your replies and I hope this topic will change into what I originally intended it to be smile.gif

Ahh,that is just a sound that comes with lots of midds
and sliding over bottom strings.
It can be removed by practicing as you said
but also with some EQ tweaking. smile.gif

I've bought several guitars by now,
truth is I never regret tho I play one more then others.
But it's always good to do more experiment and adjust
on your current guitar before you decide to sell it and get something new. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

The Pianist

+Quote Post
Smikey2006
Aug 5 2008, 06:16 PM
as far as guitar regreats go i have none, as i progressed i bought guitars that were a little bit better until i found schecter, bought a top line schecter and am happy with it.. and i will be contented until someone hands me a guitar that completely blows me away. I do have regrets about buying my accoustic.. The accoustic im playin right now came from a pawn shop for 60$ smile.gif and truely it is a bargin of a guitar. It has an okay sound and an okay feel. But i hate the design and after playing a few actually descent accoustics ive descided to start working on finger picking and maybe one day getting myself a nice accoustic smile.gif As for other gear regrets i have bought many many many pedals and a few amps which i simply didn't shop around enough for. I remember right after i got my first line 6 (spider II 30 watt) i loved it. Jamming with my friends all the settings sounded great to me, but they only sounded great until i played with my first other guitarist who had a marshall 30 watt.. his tone was unbelievable, i was ashamed to jam because our tones were so different , mine so mechanical and his so incredibly smooth. So i instantly regreated purchasing that amp. Ive bought a couple of cruddy phaser pedals and a few bad distortion pedals which i regreat because now that i have my current gear + guitar rig 3(which i just purchased and have yet to figure out completely) I have found tones i like and i feel as though i wasted alot of money going through gear stages. Anyways thats it for me smile.gif

--------------------
Schecter Exotic Star+ Peavey VK
Ibanez Xiphos 707 + Krank Revolution 100
Damien 7

Wishlist
Schecter Customshop
Schecter 2008 Blackjack
Damage Control Timeline Delay Pedal/Distortion
a laptop that runs protools :'(

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Aug 6 2008, 01:16 PM
Instructor
What I would recommend is to buy a solid guitar ~700e. That would be quite enough for practice and some gigging as well. Try first to find something in the store that fits you the best. First look for feel and that guitar is comfortable when you play. This is crucial when buying. Then check out the sound as well. I would also recommend that you get used to thinner gauge strings, as some stated 12 is a lot mate, and it is a pain to play them. I played on 11s for a long time and moved to 10 and feel quite happy now.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
JeroenKole
Aug 6 2008, 02:12 PM
been looking around for new guitars (very hard to resist tongue.gif) and came across this [url=http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eg_page2008.php?data_id=1286&color=CL01&area_id=3&year=2008&cat_id=1&series_id=66] Ibanez [url]. Looks pretty sweet and if the guitar plays well, I'll only have to change the pickups. Has anyone tried it?

Damn, I'm doing it again, get away vile impulses!!! tongue.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:06 PM