3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
(possible) Newbie Need Some Answers
mattacuk
Jul 12 2007, 04:12 PM
Lets go fishing!
Hey, nothing wrong with a nice heavy les paul! biggrin.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 12 2007, 08:30 PM
GMC:er
Heres the deal, you havent yet told me your budget or your preffered genre.

Firstly, i dont know how you could recommend heavy les paul and toneless dist line 6 spider amp to a beginner? (this should be his future equipment)....

Heres an awesome all in one kit:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squ...-Amp?sku=513288

Heres some guitars i would reccomend to any beginner (choose according to genre):

Guitar1: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Iba...itar?sku=519417

Guitar2: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dea...itar?sku=512913

Guitar3: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squ...itar?sku=510470

These are some really versatile amps you can trust:
Amp1: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Rol...COSM?sku=487032

Amp2: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...-Amp?sku=481136

Amp3: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Mar...mbo-?sku=483188

Id suggest you choose one guitar and an amp from above instead of the kit..... You wont regret cause it will last longer and has probably everything you need. Comprimise a bit on the budget to get the right sound according to your style.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Jul 12 2007, 09:23 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jul 12 2007, 06:48 AM) *
You could always tie a couple of bricks to an Ibanez body to get that Les Paul feel.

Rofl laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

- John

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 12 2007, 09:28 PM
QUOTE (mattacuk @ Jul 12 2007, 03:12 PM) *
Hey, nothing wrong with a nice heavy les paul! biggrin.gif

I kid because I love. You're not knocking your Marshall stack over with a smack from an S Prestige. Some things require a Les Paul.

If someone gave me one for free or cheap, I wouldn't turn it down...not sure if I'd buy one at full retail though. I'm not really at the point where I'm sure I know what I like in how a guitar feels while playing. The Explorer seems heavier though.

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom
Amps: Peavey Transformer 112, Epiphone Valve Jr head with custom 2x12 cab
Pedals: Boss TU-2, Budda Bud-Wah, Chuck Collins Harmonic Percolator clone

+Quote Post
stratman33
Jul 12 2007, 09:40 PM
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 11 2007, 08:07 PM) *
Hello everyone!

I am thinking about learning how to play on an el. guitar (yeah, I paid just to be able to post some question here and look how the lessons look exactly wink.gif ).

First of all, I have never played on any instrument, ever -- well, except the computer where I do actually create music (but yeah, that doesn't matter much).

My first question is about what gear to buy. I can't really know if the playing on el. guitar will hook me or not -- obviously as I have no experience on this field. So I am looking for something cheaper like Ibanez grx jumpstart kit or QTX Sky Rockie (stratocaster type guitar) (and this one is cheaper, like half the price of that Ibanez one). Which one (or something else maybe?) would you recommend?

Another question is about what is driving you to play the guitar and why did you start playing on it? I know it's different for everyone but I am interested in what it gives?

Also I am looking for someone who was in a similiar position like me: never played on anything, picked up el. guitar and learned mainly (or just!) from this site -- if there is someone like that? Is it doable this way by the way? Will I learn how to tune up the guitar and take care of it and similiar stuff here?

Well, that's all for now, I bet I had more stuff on my mind to ask, but I will post them later if I remember what it was smile.gif

All replies and opinions are very appreciated, so please don't hold back! wink.gif

Best regards,
kirua

I was alot like you when i was a beginner.I had never played an instrument before the guitar. I basically just wanted to play the guitar because i saw what great guitarists could do and i wanted to be able to do that.I also learned most from this site. I joined this site about a year into my playing. That year before i joined was basically getting the feel for the guitar, toughening up my fingers,scales, etc. But when i joined this i've learned every technique i know from here.All my styles have gotten better, and overall as a guitarist I've improved tons and tons. I still have lots to learn, but I think I'm capable of many things on guitar.

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 12 2007, 09:50 PM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jul 12 2007, 02:28 PM) *
I kid because I love. You're not knocking your Marshall stack over with a smack from an S Prestige. Some things require a Les Paul.

If someone gave me one for free or cheap, I wouldn't turn it down...not sure if I'd buy one at full retail though. I'm not really at the point where I'm sure I know what I like in how a guitar feels while playing. The Explorer seems heavier though.

thought I would **** off some people. glad to see you all have a sense of humor. like a lot of other things, a number of alternatives. play the one that feels right to you. Like in the Tour De France, a lot off different teams, different bike brands. Best guy on best team is going to win (either that or the guy with the best dope). But it won't be the bike that matters, they are all good bikes.

I tell you another guitar that I really like. Fender Telecaster. It really has nice sustain, I like it a lot more than a Strat. I got one with a humbucker at the neck, always felt that was a good idea. They have mexican teles like that that are not too expensive, and very nice I think.

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 12 2007, 11:18 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 12 2007, 08:50 PM) *
I tell you another guitar that I really like. Fender Telecaster. It really has nice sustain, I like it a lot more than a Strat. I got one with a humbucker at the neck, always felt that was a good idea. They have mexican teles like that that are not too expensive, and very nice I think.

Seeing what John5 gets out of a Tele intrigues me. And generally, they're not 'cool' if you're not playing country. I like 'not cool' guitars. Big fat Gretsch hollowbodies. The Rickenbacker 3-series. Fender's Jaguar, Mustang and Jag-stang (probably a little cool because of the Nirvana connection but I don't think Guitar Guys like them because of the goofy problems they tend to have).

--------------------
Guitars: ESP Semi-Hollow Eclipse, 1984 Ibanez Roadstar RS440, Peavey T-60, Daisy Rock Rock Candy Custom

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 12 2007, 11:23 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 12 2007, 10:50 PM) *

Mmmm... I'd like a Telecaster as soon as I "grow up", could be any decade now. Takes some effort to make em sound good and the few times I've tried my friends casters I didn't exactly fall in love.
But the obstacle was raher me, not the guitar, so I SHOULD some day work on mastering one. Rather have a tele than a strat.

And Telecasters are extremely cool just because they are so un-cool to the masses tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jul 12 2007, 11:40 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 12 2007, 06:23 PM) *
And Telecasters are extremely cool just because they are so un-cool to the masses tongue.gif

I think they are ugly - they just don;t have a wow factor for me ... guess that means I am one of the masses wink.gif

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 12 2007, 11:43 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 12 2007, 04:23 PM) *
Mmmm... I'd like a Telecaster as soon as I "grow up", could be any decade now. Takes some effort to make em sound good and the few times I've tried my friends casters I didn't exactly fall in love.
But the obstacle was raher me, not the guitar, so I SHOULD some day work on mastering one. Rather have a tele than a strat.

i am aware of the not cool factor. this also means you can find a good deal at a shop that has has had a not cool tel for 2 or 3 years and wants to unload it.

the humbucker at the neck makes a difference. really a good idea, it makes the guitar do a lot more, and as i said, the sustain on a tele is quite good. they have that heavier body, and less cut out than a strat. I like the sustain, because while I like to play fast, I just as much like to play slow. a strat just does not have enough sustain for me, particularly on that 3rd string, trying to hold a note. a tele does not have as much as a lp, but not bad. definitely more than an sg or firebird.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 12 2007, 11:51 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 13 2007, 12:43 AM) *
i am aware of the not cool factor. this also means you can find a good deal at a shop that has has had a not cool tel for 2 or 3 years and wants to unload it.

the humbucker at the neck makes a difference. really a good idea, it makes the guitar do a lot more, and as i said, the sustain on a tele is quite good. they have that heavier body, and less cut out than a strat. I like the sustain, because while I like to play fast, I just as much like to play slow. a strat just does not have enough sustain for me, particularly on that 3rd string, trying to hold a note. a tele does not have as much as a lp, but not bad. definitely more than an sg or firebird.

Does the Tele with a humbucker have a model name?

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 13 2007, 12:28 AM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Jul 12 2007, 04:51 PM) *
Does the Tele with a humbucker have a model name?

here is the one I have. now discontinued. I bet a person could find a deal on one of these if they looked, as it has the uncool factor (most don't want the humbucker). But I really like mine.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fen...itar?sku=511593

this is the one they still have now, mexican i believe.

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=0137502306

not sure which makes more sense, some people say the mexican are just as good, some say not. i would still get the one I got if I had it all over to do again personally. better case for one thing. I would look for a shop trying to unload that uncool guitar that has been hanging on the wall. I think mine was like that. Ordered it from this shop in West Virginia at a good price, it was about 3 years old, I think they get rid of old stock that way. But it was a nice guitar in perfect shape.

+Quote Post
kirua
Jul 13 2007, 12:31 AM
Whooa! I didn't expect so many replies, thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate it!

I should have said my budget (or better, what I am willing to spend on it right now). It's hard to tell because I am gonna buy it from the shop that's here so the pure calculation to USD it would be around $325 (more or less; not fixed, can be readjusted if it would make *that* much difference). I know that's not much but at the moment I can't be sure if it will be so much fun for me how it looks to me right now so I'll rather stay on the safe side. Also I don't want to buy a used gear, even though it would be a better deal and could be sold easily, but that would put me in even more confusion than I am right now -- you know, checking the guitar out (quite impossible for me since I know nothing about it and I know noone that plays on el. guitar :-/) and all the stuff around it.

I checked out some guitars you guys posted and I am unable to find some of them in the shop here so I had to rule them out right away. I am taking a better look at Ibanez GRX kit (the Ibanez GRX 40 guitar can't be bought separetly as it seems) and SQUIER BY FENDER Affinity Strat.
As I said earlier, Ibanez GRX 40 can't be buyed separately and it's a pitty because according to review the amp really sucks in that kit. But then again, I would have it on headphones most of the time -- does it matter, should I look for something else...?
I tried to search on youtube.com to hear how it sounds and it sounds quite ok (well, only if I knew if the ppl made some modifications to it or not).
On the other hand Squier is more expensive (I mean overall, because I would have to buy everything else separately). I checked the youtube also and I was quite dissapointed, it sounds... weird. But then again, the records there aren't that good either (or i was just searching for bad words...). The reviews doesn't look that bad though...

So I would like to know your input on these two guitars and/or some tips for other el. guitars in the same price range. I listen to a lot of styles so it's quite hard to pick just one, so here we go: L'Arc~en~Ciel, Mogwai, M83, YUI, Linkin Park, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Kipelov, ... ugh, I better stop, I can enjoy almost everything, but let's say three of them: L'Arc~en~Ciel, Mogwai, LP -- and how I could forget Top Gun Anthem (Steve Stevens right?).

Also I'd rather prefer buying something cheaper (hence my "budget") and after a while (I don't know, 1/2 or 1 year later) to upgrade something. By the way, what's better, putting more money into guitar than amp (with keeping in mind that the amp would be replaced later on) or vice versa or 50:50? I need an amp with the headphones-out but I believe most of the amps on the market have it?

Ugh, I'd rather stop, it's quite long again.

Thank you again for your awesome replies, I really appreciate it and keep 'em coming please! wink.gif

PS: I was looking at the first two baginner lessons and at the point I got to this picture: http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/Skalor/E_aeolian_12.gif -- I got lost and I didn't really get it, that doesn't make much sense to me sad.gif Can someone please point me to a right direction where to look for more detailed description about scales and so?

Best regards,
kirua

+Quote Post
Scott Gentzen
Jul 13 2007, 12:49 AM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 12 2007, 03:56 AM) *

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94

Real Man's hangover prelude?

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 13 2007, 03:29 AM
QUOTE (Scott Gentzen @ Jul 12 2007, 05:49 PM) *
http://youtube.com/watch?v=AJpCZpysf94

Real Man's hangover prelude?

If I saw someone who looked like him in a bar, and I started having problems with him, I would take the Lynyrd Skynyrd approach. He has looks like a guy who might say "ahhh, prison ain't so bad!".

+Quote Post
JVM
Jul 13 2007, 04:01 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 12 2007, 05:31 PM) *
-snip-

Are you sure you can't get shipping to you from a site like musiciansfriend or something? If you can then one of the suggestions above is probably the best bet for you, mostly I am just curious why you're ruling out anything you can't find at your local shop.

Personally, if you ask me, the ibanez and the squier are the best two starter packages, I wouldn't even really consider anything else. I don't know what you mean by the squier sounding "weird', they're not the greatest guitars for sure, but I have a couple friends who have them and they sound normal to me.

For your kind of music I'd probably go for the ibanez kit.

--------------------
Gear: Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Gibson '67 RI Flying V, Mesa Boogie F-30 112 combo, crazy pedals.

+Quote Post
ClifordACDC
Jul 13 2007, 04:01 AM
QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 12 2007, 07:31 PM) *
Whooa! I didn't expect so many replies, thanks a lot everyone, I really appreciate it!

I should have said my budget (or better, what I am willing to spend on it right now). It's hard to tell because I am gonna buy it from the shop that's here so the pure calculation to USD it would be around $325 (more or less; not fixed, can be readjusted if it would make *that* much difference). I know that's not much but at the moment I can't be sure if it will be so much fun for me how it looks to me right now so I'll rather stay on the safe side. Also I don't want to buy a used gear, even though it would be a better deal and could be sold easily, but that would put me in even more confusion than I am right now -- you know, checking the guitar out (quite impossible for me since I know nothing about it and I know noone that plays on el. guitar :-/) and all the stuff around it.

I checked out some guitars you guys posted and I am unable to find some of them in the shop here so I had to rule them out right away. I am taking a better look at Ibanez GRX kit (the Ibanez GRX 40 guitar can't be bought separetly as it seems) and SQUIER BY FENDER Affinity Strat.
As I said earlier, Ibanez GRX 40 can't be buyed separately and it's a pitty because according to review the amp really sucks in that kit. But then again, I would have it on headphones most of the time -- does it matter, should I look for something else...?
I tried to search on youtube.com to hear how it sounds and it sounds quite ok (well, only if I knew if the ppl made some modifications to it or not).
On the other hand Squier is more expensive (I mean overall, because I would have to buy everything else separately). I checked the youtube also and I was quite dissapointed, it sounds... weird. But then again, the records there aren't that good either (or i was just searching for bad words...). The reviews doesn't look that bad though...

So I would like to know your input on these two guitars and/or some tips for other el. guitars in the same price range. I listen to a lot of styles so it's quite hard to pick just one, so here we go: L'Arc~en~Ciel, Mogwai, M83, YUI, Linkin Park, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Kipelov, ... ugh, I better stop, I can enjoy almost everything, but let's say three of them: L'Arc~en~Ciel, Mogwai, LP -- and how I could forget Top Gun Anthem (Steve Stevens right?).

Also I'd rather prefer buying something cheaper (hence my "budget") and after a while (I don't know, 1/2 or 1 year later) to upgrade something. By the way, what's better, putting more money into guitar than amp (with keeping in mind that the amp would be replaced later on) or vice versa or 50:50? I need an amp with the headphones-out but I believe most of the amps on the market have it?

Ugh, I'd rather stop, it's quite long again.

Thank you again for your awesome replies, I really appreciate it and keep 'em coming please! wink.gif

PS: I was looking at the first two baginner lessons and at the point I got to this picture: http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/Skalor/E_aeolian_12.gif -- I got lost and I didn't really get it, that doesn't make much sense to me sad.gif Can someone please point me to a right direction where to look for more detailed description about scales and so?

Best regards,
kirua

when you have a guitar with you it will make more sence. basicly its showing you the position of the scale. the blue notes are the root note which is e in this scales case. watching the video would be the best thing to do because kris shows you how to do it. as for not know ing what to do if you were to try out a guitar, ask someone who works there to show you something that you would be able to do to try them, like a couple of chords or something

This post has been edited by ClifordACDC: Jul 13 2007, 04:03 AM

--------------------
http://www.myspace.com/cliffordacdc

my gear: epiphone sg special, Marshall mg100dfx, digitech df-7 distortion factory

+Quote Post
fkalich
Jul 13 2007, 04:07 AM
repeat, forget starter guitar. if it gets down to that, get a used guitar, if it does not work out, you can sell it on ebay with little or no loss. get the best guitar you can afford. No problem playing your first chord on $2,000 guitar. I did.

If nothing else, it motivates you, you figure, i got this, now i have no choice but to learn to play it, or I will look like a total fool.

edit: let me rephrase, get the best guitar you can, even if you can't afford it, by whatever legal means available. plastic works.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Jul 13 2007, 04:10 AM

+Quote Post
kirua
Jul 13 2007, 10:12 AM
Hello,

thanks for the replies.

QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 13 2007, 05:01 AM) *
Are you sure you can't get shipping to you from a site like musiciansfriend or something?

The problem for me with the musiciansfriend is that it's an US shop and the package from a shop coming from USA (and any other non-EU country) can be easily picked up by our customs officers and they would impose custom duty on the package which wouldn't be cheap at all. However I did check my favorite music shop in Germany and I was quite surprised that the prices are better at my local music shop (I guess one of the biggest around here). They have a lot of guitars, it's just they don't have as many as musiciansfriend...

QUOTE (JVM @ Jul 13 2007, 05:01 AM) *
I don't know what you mean by the squier sounding "weird', they're not the greatest guitars for sure, but I have a couple friends who have them and they sound normal to me.

Ok, so the weird sound was probably because of the bad video recording, because on some vids I saw it in action and the sound was... rich-less -- I can't really describe it better, it's just like it's missing something in the "bottom" of the sound it creates (uhm, I don't think anyone can understand that now... well, just scrap that, it was probably bad recording, it has a lot of good reviews afterall).

QUOTE (ClifordACDC @ Jul 13 2007, 05:01 AM) *
<snip>

Thanks, I watched the video but I was still quite confused. I think I will not worry about that for now, let's see what will happen when I will be able to try it smile.gif

QUOTE (fkalich @ Jul 13 2007, 05:07 AM) *
If nothing else, it motivates you, you figure, i got this, now i have no choice but to learn to play it, or I will look like a total fool.

edit: let me rephrase, get the best guitar you can, even if you can't afford it, by whatever legal means available. plastic works.

I understand your point of view on this but I would feel bad to spend so much many on it smile.gif Also I'll rather have motivation from the pure will of learning how to play than must-do because of the expensive gear that I woudn't be able to fully use. And some ppl around me say that I don't have what it takes to do that, so yeah, that's adding a little bit to the motivation too... However it's one way to go and thanks for pointing that out to me.

-kirua

+Quote Post
MickeM
Jul 13 2007, 12:57 PM
If you can't order from US can you order from Germany? I don't know what proces you have in Czech Republic you can always comare here
The are more like music-schmidt and thomann f ex and even more shops in Germany with descent prices.

Otherwise, buy a used guitar and a used amp, you'd get your money back later on.

QUOTE (kirua @ Jul 13 2007, 01:31 AM) *
I need an amp with the headphones-out but I believe most of the amps on the market have it?

No not all do but with a solid state amp you'd most likely get both CD-in and headphones.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 02:25 PM