Where Do I Start And How Could I My Progress In Practice, practice routine
Eric Vitola
Sep 29 2009, 02:21 AM
GMC:er
Ivan,

I was hoping you could help me organize a daily practice routine to help reach my goals? I would like to be able to play a blues/funk style and be able to improvise. More specifically, to be able to understand where I'm playing on the neck to be able to jam with friends. I know the pentatonic scales,major and minor scales and probably intermediate level player, but beginner when it comes to playing with others.

Thanks,

Eric Vitola

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 29 2009, 01:13 PM
Instructor
Hey man,

I would be happy to help you.

First of all, with blues and funk (or any other improvising) it is important to know the chords well. Do you know how to build chords out of a key?

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post
Eric Vitola
Sep 29 2009, 06:02 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (Ivan Milenkovic @ Sep 29 2009, 08:13 AM) *
Hey man,

I would be happy to help you.

First of all, with blues and funk (or any other improvising) it is important to know the chords well. Do you know how to build chords out of a key?

Ivan,

Thanks for answering my email. I'm familiar with building Major and Minor Bar chords from notes on the 5th and 6th strings. As far as the key someone is playing, I thought you usually pick the first chord of the song? I'm not sure could you advise the best way to learn this?

Thanks,
Eric Vitola

+Quote Post
Ivan Milenkovic
Sep 30 2009, 10:18 PM
Instructor
The main thing you have to do now, as you are familiar with chord positions and shapes, is to actually learn the theory behind the diatonic scale, what is major scale, what chords are derived out of major scale, and how are chords derived. If you want to improvise, this is crucial thing to learn, because with improvising you have to be able to flwo with the backing, and really accent the music that is being played behind. By knowing chord changes and what note goes where, you can add these strong (chordal) notes to your melodies to make it work, otherwise you will play dissonant notes.

So start by learning the whole diatonic pattern over the neck. This lesson may help:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/master...n_caged_method/

And start learning the theory of the major scale, keys, and chords here:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/guitar_fo...?showtopic=3351

let me know if you have any questions about this.

--------------------
- Ivan's Video Chat Lesson Notes HERE
- Check out my GMC Profile and Lessons
- (Please subscribe to my) YouTube Official Channel
- Let's be connected through ! Facebook! :)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 09:24 AM