3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Ringing Ears?
Muris Varajic
Sep 15 2007, 01:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 15 2007, 01:42 PM) *
iv had ears ringing for over a year now what should i do?

That's bad to hear John ohmy.gif
As some members said before,looks like doctors aren't of great help either...
But I suggest you to visit one anyhow,just to do the first step on.
Keep your music player down,amp volume as well....

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JOhn
Sep 15 2007, 01:05 PM
GMC:er
QUOTE (muris @ Sep 15 2007, 10:02 PM) *
That's bad to hear John ohmy.gif
As some members said before,looks like doctors aren't of great help either...
But I suggest you to visit one anyhow,just to do the first step on.
Keep your music player down,amp volume as well....

my mum is a doctor thats easy but im not sure how low i should put my amp

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Sep 15 2007, 01:24 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 15 2007, 02:05 PM) *
my mum is a doctor thats easy but im not sure how low i should put my amp

Hmm,good question tho...
Well,enough so you could hear it fine and not to hurt your ears,I guess.
Lets say that's the same volume like when you're listening to music before going to sleep rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
mattacuk
Sep 15 2007, 04:31 PM
Lets go fishing!
My ears haveing been ringing since i was a kid - but i suffer from blocked sinus so its probably a different problem to you smile.gif

WHATS THAT YOU SAY, NO FISHING HERE? laugh.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
VinceG
Sep 15 2007, 04:46 PM
I think I only expirienced the ear ringing after going to my first concert. I didnt even notice it till I was about to fall asleep. Went away when I woke up. I only full blast my ipod on certain occasions, but I do keep them in my ear for certain amount of hours (2-4 hrs at most and thats if I am on the road.) I suggest you guys buy a stereo for the ipod so you dont have to listen to your music on headphones at home.

--------------------
METAL SUCKS

My Last.fm account. View it for all the terrible music I play on a daily basis

+Quote Post
blindwillie
Sep 15 2007, 04:55 PM
QUOTE (fkalich @ Sep 15 2007, 11:25 AM) *
I have tinnitus in my left ear. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but nothing a doctor can do for you. Rarely this can be caused by a tumor, but that is rare, and not really dangerous, very slow growing. You might see a doctor, especially if you have any other symptoms.

Mine comes and goes, Ginkgo works pretty well for me. From GNC, not the grocery store kind. So my issue is probably vascular, not ear damage. My hearing is normal for my age.

At first it bothered me, but then not much, just ignore it now when I have it. Comes and goes. I think stress can bring it on. Some people it really bothers, others don't worry too much about it. Does not seem to matter so much how bad it is, just some people handle it better than others.

Look at it this way, I have a brother in law with Parkinson's. I am sure he would trade that for tinnitus. Puts things in perspective.

It may bother you less later, you may get used to it. As I said, I pretty much ignore it now when I have it. You can try the Ginkgo from GNC. 3 times a day, equally spaced intervals. Helps some people, such as myself. I think it might help more, but they try the grocery store type (cheap) and it does not work. I learned one thing from this, buy your vitamins at GNC, they are not all the same, the grocery store stuff may just be crap.

Can't add much to this.
I have tinitus on left ear too. I don't know for sure if it's from gun fire in the army or from all the conserts I've been too and it doesn't matter really. ALWAYS PROTECT YOUR EARS! If not you will regret it and you can't enjoy music the same way anymore.

Mine is constant. The ringing (or eeeeeeee-ing rather) is always there. Sometimes i don't notice it, but it's there. Other times it drives me nuts.
If sound comes from just one source it's OK but with more sources it gets harder to distinguish individual sounds. In a group of people for example I have to focus hard to hear a single person and I get tired quick and gets a headache.

PROTECTION FTW!

--------------------

Schecter C1 Hellraiser EMG 81/85, replaced with JB/Jazz (SH4/SH2n) w. coilsplit
Schecter Revenger HB-105, replaced with EMG 81/85
Stratocaster Deluxe Players Noiseless
Ibanez 2550z
Blackstar HT5H, Blackheart BH5H w. BH112, Laney LX35D, Line6 Pod XT, Marshall MS-2
Headphones: Sennheiser RS120

Stay tuned...

+Quote Post
Owen
Sep 15 2007, 05:29 PM
I get it a bit after concerts or band practices. With concerts it takes about 5 hours or so to go away, with band practice it will go away after an hour. I'll be investing in some proper earplugs when I get the money tho.

Edit: Ginkgo - is that not the stuff they offer you to increase your circulation? They offered me that or some man-made stuff to fix my circulation in winter - I get swelling hands - very difficult to play guitar, but I took the man-made pills because apparently they're more effective. Anyways, back on topic. tongue.gif How does that help?

This post has been edited by Owen: Sep 15 2007, 05:36 PM

--------------------
Don't Panic.

+Quote Post
MickeM
Sep 15 2007, 06:53 PM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
This may sound stupid but try this aswell, rince your ears with this kind of pump that flushes water in hard. Get all crap out. That helps too since when the ear ways are not completely clean the head will get more confined so to say and sounds like blood streaming through the veins will sound in your ears/head and may be confused with something else, like tinnitus.

+Quote Post
Craig M
Sep 15 2007, 10:11 PM
Rob,
I would still see a doctor first. Everyone is correct that there is not much to be done with tinnitus. The doctor can schedule you for a MRI if he thinks it might be a tumor. They can't tell of course so they do it just to make sure. They can also do a proper ear canal cleaning and then schedule the Audiologist just to get an idea of the level of your hearing. Good to get a baseline to compare to for the future.
Mine is the same a Blindwillie's. Constant high pitch sound that does interfere with hearing speech at times. Like he says. In crowded environments. And most time during the day I don't notice it. Caffeine and alchohol definitely make it worse.

+Quote Post
Rob_g
Sep 16 2007, 04:28 AM
Well If im ever out of town i'll try to go see a doctor. And did I see someone say that sinus can cause ringing ears. If so I just caught a cold and thats why they could be ringing more then usual.

Also I'll look into those earplugs and if i cant find em maybe i can buy the custom made ones. But till then Ill keep it with the regular ear plugs and my big headphones (Learnt it from paul gilbert)

+Quote Post
kethcup
Sep 19 2007, 12:50 PM
I have tinnitus. I got it from loud music - band, concerts, car stereo, etc..

I used to go to concerts alot and my ears would always ring for a day or two after, then would go away. I would kind of freak out by it but then when it went away it was 'out of sight, out of mind' so to say.

When I hit about 27 yrs of age it came on out of nowhere as a constant ringing. It was very loud and scary because I didn't know what it was or how to make it stop. After much research I've learned that I just have to live with it and deal with it on a daily basis. I'm 30 and I still have it. I can count on it being there just like my left hand. They still ring non-stop and I too can't be around too loud of objects i.e. Saw's, traffic, etc...

But, you get used to it, and it doesn't bother me too much anymore. But you do lose out on certain frequencies that can make it hard to hear people.

Anyway, from what I've read is that if you experience it after loud events for a short time then you are a likely candidate to develop it permanantly sometime in your life. So, wear protection! You can still prevent it. I know there's nothing like blasting good music and feeling it and hearing it to wear your ears want to bleed, but listen to what everyone is saying - ear plugs!!

smile.gif

--------------------

Ketchup

Ibanez Prestige S2170 Electric Guitar
Ibanez Prestige S1620 Electric Guitar
Ibanez RG350MDX Electric Guitar
Jackson Kelly Professional

Boss GT-6 Guitar Floor Processor
Sonar6 Studio Edition

M-Audio BX5-a Studio Monitors

Marshall VS65R Combo Amp

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 19 2007, 01:06 PM
QUOTE (kethcup @ Sep 19 2007, 05:50 AM) *
I know there's nothing like blasting good music and feeling it and hearing it to wear your ears want to bleed, but listen to what everyone is saying - ear plugs!!

yeah i loved to do that! But after reading through this post i now know that i must take care of my ears! smile.gif

--------------------
Playing Guitar Since: December 2006

+Quote Post
Joey
Sep 24 2007, 01:43 AM
QUOTE (Rob_g @ Sep 15 2007, 02:41 AM) *
I never put my i pod full blast either. But I noticed when I started going to school and using my i pod the ringing is starting to get noticible all the time. Maybe I should just lay off the i pod for a while and see what happens.

And I never really practice loud. Why do you need to be so loud when ur practicing with a metrenome? or trying to figure out new tunes to play, or trying to compose?

Try setting the EQ on your ipod to something like Acoustic or maybe Treble reducer or something like that and see if it helps at all. it also helps if you dont totally jam your earbuds into your ear leave them sorta loose so theyre not like pumping all the sound straight into your ear canal. i dont really know if itll work, just trying to help biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
brandon
Sep 24 2007, 03:17 AM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 15 2007, 07:42 AM) *

Definitely wear ear plugs. You might hate it at first, but the sooner you get used to wearing them the better. I didn't start wearing them until around 23. From the time I was 15 until 22 I would go to a minimum of 100 shows a year combined with playing in a few bands over the years I did a good amount of damage to my ears. Now, I'm 26 and can barely hear out of my right ear. Also, when it's quite all I hear is ringing. So, take it from me, it's definitely worth wearing ear plugs and like Robin said, if you're somewhere and realize you forgot them you can always go to the bar and get a napkin or some toilet paper from the bathroom. If you're a musician I think you have expect a certain amount of hearing damage, so it's good to try and minimize that as much as possible.

This post has been edited by brandon: Sep 24 2007, 03:23 AM

+Quote Post
Kevin98497
Sep 24 2007, 04:55 AM
haha i got some ear plugs in a paper box off a roadie at the velvet revolver concert, bet slash or duff! wore it =] and then id be wearing their ear plugs, ewww

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 24 2007, 07:40 AM
QUOTE (kevin-riff-after-riff @ Sep 23 2007, 09:55 PM) *
haha i got some ear plugs in a paper box off a roadie at the velvet revolver concert, bet slash or duff! wore it =] and then id be wearing their ear plugs, ewww

Ewwwwwwwww blink.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif biggrin.gif biggrin.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
Sep 24 2007, 07:45 AM
I have the same problem. I love to run and am on the cross-country and track team. Running and guitar are my two biggest hobbies by far. The louder my music is, the easier it is for me to run longer distances For some reason it takes my mind off getting tired. But lately I have been reading about people getting hearing problems from loud Ipods, so I guess I will have to turn it down sad.gif

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Sep 24 2007, 07:46 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
FretDancer69
Sep 24 2007, 08:00 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Sep 24 2007, 12:45 AM) *
I have the same problem. I love to run and am on the cross-country and track team. Running and guitar are my two biggest hobbies by far. The louder my music is, the easier it is for me to run longer distances For some reason it takes my mind off getting tired. But lately I have been reading about people getting hearing problems from loud Ipods, so I guess I will have to turn it down sad.gif

yes, i suggest you do it before its too late. unsure.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 24 2007, 08:18 AM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Sep 15 2007, 06:42 AM) *

read mine above.

probably nothing. dealing with this is for all practical purposes dealing with the brain. you won't get help from a doctor. just the way it is. little work has been done on this by the medical community, and there is no drug available to help you.

I would get my ears checked though, to find out if you have some hearing loss. Many, and I mean many now in their 20's have the hearing of what used to be typical of those in their 50's'

other than that, just try to accept it and not let it bother you. worse things could happen.

+Quote Post
fkalich
Sep 24 2007, 08:31 AM
QUOTE (Owen @ Sep 15 2007, 11:29 AM) *
I get it a bit after concerts or band practices. With concerts it takes about 5 hours or so to go away, with band practice it will go away after an hour. I'll be investing in some proper earplugs when I get the money tho.

Edit: Ginkgo - is that not the stuff they offer you to increase your circulation? They offered me that or some man-made stuff to fix my circulation in winter - I get swelling hands - very difficult to play guitar, but I took the man-made pills because apparently they're more effective. Anyways, back on topic. tongue.gif How does that help?

Well, they say it helps those whose ringing is circulation related. As I said, I don't have hearing loss, I doubt it helps those whose problem is associated with hearing loss. Sometimes things like this are just in the cards for you. As I said, it comes and goes, but the quality ginkgo really does help a lot.

This is pretty closely tied to the brain, which is why a doctor can do nothing for you. It may be the case that no effort has been put into finding a useful drug, and perhaps they could develop one. However, because of the lawsuits, when anything about a drug goes wrong (and very often that is pretty unavoidable) it is incredibly expensive to produce any new drug. Incredibly expensive. Unbelievably expensive, takes years and years. Thank the lawyers. Personally I would like to see them do what the Romans did, randomly pick out 1 in 10 and line them up against the wall, I would sleep well at night.

Owen: just looked at your post again. Get protection immediately! Stop this immediately. You are damaging your ears everytime you do this, you must stop this immediately, you will without question regret it later. Do not do this anymore, you are ruining your ears, without question, no exceptions, when you do this. A bit or ringing coming and going is not big deal to me. But hearing loss, that would be a BIG deal.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Sep 24 2007, 08:41 AM

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:34 PM