2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Learning Jazz Makes You A Better Rock/all Around Player?
derper
Jun 2 2012, 06:15 AM
Learning Tone Master
Basically, "Jazz" can be viewed as two things....

1.) A style of music that you either find appealing, or boring and awful

2.) Advanced theory and chord changes

So, I think the real answer here is (most everyone has hit on this already, but I figured I would summarize)....

If you want to learn jazz, learn it. Most of the advanced theory can be learned outside of jazz, if you REALLY don't dig jazz, but want to expand as a player or to learn more theory. But, as we all know, the more you can learn...the better! And sometimes, opening up to a new style that isn't your "thing" may teach you tricks that apply to other styles as well. Be true to yourself....some people are purists, and spend the majority of time honing skills on one style, mainly. Others, try to stay versatile. Depends on your interests, needs, and wants. Be true, keep learning, and have fun!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

Check out my awesome Nintendo Cover-band, EMULATOR!!
http://www.reverbnation.com/emulator

Now.....go practice!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mudbone
Jun 2 2012, 08:20 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (The Uncreator @ Jun 1 2012, 10:13 PM) *
Jazz is insanely brilliant, yet frustratingly dry to me. After awhile the dynamics of it are just displeasing to me, hardest thing in the world to play.

Sure, playing those epic Dragonforce, Origin, or Tech-Death solos is hard, but the phrasing in Jazz is just unreal.

I know what you mean. Most jazz bores me to tears. It just seems like its musical complexity for the sake of complexity.

What Alex said makes perfect sense. If you just learn MUSIC, you'll be able to play anything. The way I see it, classical music is the cornerstone of all western music. By studying it, you learn the fundamentals of harmony, melody, and rhythm.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

He who laughs last thinks slowest.

"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Gear:

Guitars: Uncle Rufus' Twanger Classic
Amps: Mississippi Boom Box
Mojo: Hammer of Odin and a pair of Ox gonads
Inspiration: Samuel Adams Boston Lager

Zero to Hero: 1,387/10,000

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 2 2012, 09:20 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 2 2012, 01:48 AM) *
I think the best idea is to learn how the music works! This way you will be able to play in any kind of style!
Will use myself as an example smile.gif If I will ever get a gig and will have to play let's say country guitar! I can do it because I understand the system and what to play in this style! I will "fake" it smile.gif because it's not my main style but average listener won't be able to tell the difference! Same thing works with every style and as soon as you understand the concept you can "fake" it

Yeah, there's an old phrase that somebody once told me in regards to Jazz 'Fake it until you make it'. Which is basically, do what you can and you will gradually begin to understand the stuff as you do it. smile.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 2 2012, 08:39 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 2 2012, 08:20 AM) *
Yeah, there's an old phrase that somebody once told me in regards to Jazz 'Fake it until you make it'. Which is basically, do what you can and you will gradually begin to understand the stuff as you do it. smile.gif

If it's not your main style it will always sound fake for someone who spent a lifetime playing it!
I have a cool story about faking jazz smile.gif
I was never to deep into standard Jazz I know how to play it but it's not my main style!
So a few years back a body of mine invited me to visit a movie shooting that he was playing bass in! I went cause was curious to see how he industry works! There was a scene where the band is playing jazz at the party, so right before the shot guitar player who was supposed to do the part injured himself (I have no idea how) And I had to fill in! I had no idea how to play jazz on the spot and there was no charts in front of me so I had to write out the standards and just go for it!
That's how I ended up in the movie and got IMDB credit! smile.gif Also ended up doing the whole sound track and still getting royalties checks every month! So learn how to fake as many styles as you can, because you just never know! smile.gif

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 3 2012, 04:03 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 2 2012, 08:39 PM) *
If it's not your main style it will always sound fake for someone who spent a lifetime playing it!
I was never to deep into standard Jazz I know how to play it but it's not my main style!
So a few years back a body of mine invited me to visit a movie shooting that he was playing bass in! I went cause was curious to see how he industry works! There was a scene where the band is playing jazz at the party, so right before the shot guitar player who was supposed to do the part injured himself (I have no idea how) And I had to fill in! I had no idea how to play jazz on the spot and there was no charts in front of me so I had to write out the standards and just go for it!
That's how I ended up in the movie and got IMDB credit! smile.gif Also ended up doing the whole sound track and still getting royalties checks every month! So learn how to fake as many styles as you can, because you just never know! smile.gif

Wow, talk about an opportunity ! What movie was it ? smile.gif

+Quote Post
Cosmin Lupu
Jun 3 2012, 08:11 PM
Instructor
Indeed! biggrin.gif When opportunity comes knocking, don't slam the door in its face wink.gif

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 4 2012, 06:04 AM
Instructor
It called Live Fast Die Young it didn't make it too big but I have rented it at Blockbuster and it's also on Netflix

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 4 2012, 08:46 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Cosmin Lupu @ Jun 3 2012, 08:11 PM) *
Indeed! biggrin.gif When opportunity comes knocking, don't slam the door in its face wink.gif

Yeah.. as it says in Zen Guitar 'When the spotlight shines your way, don't be shy.. step into it !' smile.gif

+Quote Post
Nihilist1
Jun 4 2012, 08:56 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (Ben Higgins @ Jun 4 2012, 07:46 AM) *
Yeah.. as it says in Zen Guitar 'When the spotlight shines your way, don't be shy.. step into it !' smile.gif

That is one of the best books I have ever read. It is nice to know I am not the only one! I loved it so much I gave it away to another aspiring guitarist!

--------------------
All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

All the elders have fallen down...

Heal her now...

Grandfather elk
Turned to me
And spoke:

Light the fire deep inside.
Light the fires!

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Jun 4 2012, 09:07 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (Nihilist1 @ Jun 4 2012, 08:56 AM) *
That is one of the best books I have ever read. It is nice to know I am not the only one! I loved it so much I gave it away to another aspiring guitarist!

Cool, you know it ! When I first joined GMC I did a whole post about it smile.gif

+Quote Post
Dinaga
Jun 4 2012, 11:05 AM
Learning Tone Seeker
QUOTE (Alex Feather @ Jun 2 2012, 07:39 PM) *

That's a great story Alex! biggrin.gif Lucky you! laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alex Feather
Jun 4 2012, 09:52 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Dinaga @ Jun 4 2012, 10:05 AM) *
That's a great story Alex! biggrin.gif Lucky you! laugh.gif

I think opportunities are coming all the time just have to keep your eyes and mind open!

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:57 AM