Deftones Style
Gert1973
Jan 10 2024, 02:03 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Monica (and Dan laugh.gif),

Here we are again with the start of a new lesson! I have spend about 5 hours to learn the new lesson and to produce this first take. The lesson feels much easier then let's say the alternate picking lesson which took me at least 14 days to learn the whole lesson by heart.

I really like the sound of this lesson. Although I (shameful) had never heard of Deftones before, I love to play this lesson! First time I play with the guitar in a different tuning (drop D). The lesson does not have very difficult parts as there're just 3 parts that repeat themselves a few times. So I was surprised I could learn the lesson in a few hours, especially compared to some of my previous lessons laugh.gif

Here's the first take!

Analysis:
I can be very brief about the analysis.
The rythm part feels like it's going well. I don't have timing issues (maybe just at the very end but I'm not sure).
The vibrato needs work biggrin.gif Although it's not that bad I think tongue.gif
But I will work on the vibrato separately...

Let me know if I can raise tempo or not, hahahaha

Cheers,
Gert

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies
Gert1973
Mar 23 2024, 01:17 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Hi Monica,

As announced, I have prepared a new take of the (forgotten lesson by you tongue.gif ) Deftone style lesson at 120bpm!

Here's the take:

I think this take has an improvement in the notes sounding more legato compared with the previous one. Maybe the vibrato sound also better because I have focused on hitting the note first and then do vibrato and then also make good oscillations and then also pay attention to return to zero! You have any idea how hard this is for a man doing this kind of multitasking?? biggrin.gif
But when I look at the take, I'm still too tensed when executing the vibrato. So there's still work to do...

I don't think there aren't any rhythm issues.

Have a great day!
Gert

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Mar 23 2024, 02:49 PM
Learning Tone Master
QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 23 2024, 12:17 PM) *
Hi Monica,

As announced, I have prepared a new take of the (forgotten lesson by you tongue.gif ) Deftone style lesson at 120bpm!

Here's the take:

I think this take has an improvement in the notes sounding more legato compared with the previous one. Maybe the vibrato sound also better because I have focused on hitting the note first and then do vibrato and then also make good oscillations and then also pay attention to return to zero! You have any idea how hard this is for a man doing this kind of multitasking?? biggrin.gif
But when I look at the take, I'm still too tensed when executing the vibrato. So there's still work to do...

I don't think there aren't any rhythm issues.

Have a great day!
Gert

Hi Gert!

Definitely, this take has some visible improvements. smile.gif

QUOTE (Gert1973 @ Mar 23 2024, 12:17 PM) *
Maybe the vibrato sound also better because I have focused on hitting the note first and then do vibrato and then also make good oscillations and then also pay attention to return to zero! You have any idea how hard this is for a man doing this kind of multitasking?? biggrin.gif

Hahaha...and this is just a kind of trailer for what will come into your next lessons. biggrin.gif Don't worry, in a short period, your middle name will be multitasking. laugh.gif

Let's start to analyze your take.

1. The notes sound more legato but....I still hear some pauses and not all the notes are played equally.
To fix the pause issues, we will change a little the fingering. Every time when you need to move your index finger from 8 to 7 fret, use your middle finger to play the note from fret 8 (the one that I highlighted in the tab) and then use your index finger to play the note from fret 7.
Attached Image
The rest of the fingering will remain the same.
Also, be careful and don't play the notes shorter (7th fret).

2. I still don't like how your index finger looks when you play the full power chords sections (0:35 -0:50 and 1:07 - 1:22). Please try to keep your index finger close to the strings. Don't make jumps with it. It should stay in a muting position.

3. Vibrato - as you said, you are too tensed when you do this. Also, the oscillations are missing. You try to vibrate the string but the result is not what we want.
BUT...I like the fact that you play first the note and then you start the oscillations (actually in your take you just "shake" your finger laugh.gif ). Also, the fact that you return to point zero is a good step which improved the pitch of vibrato. smile.gif

4. In the sections 1:31 - 1:34 and 1:43 - 1:46 be careful of the string noises. Put your index finger to mute correctly the strings that should not be heard.

For next time, remain at the same speed and try to fix all the issues that I pointed out.

Have a great weekend and an excellent holiday!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th May 2024 - 12:37 AM