Enough
Rammikin
Oct 16 2016, 09:07 PM
Experienced Rock Star
You've probably read some of the recent articles about how this highly divisive US presidential election is turning friend against friend. It's sad to see that now happening here at GMC with discussions turning heated.

If I may make a suggestion: instead of spending your time scouring youtube for videos that confirm your preconceptions and sharing them on a *GUITAR* forum, or instead of taking out your frustrations on fellow GMC members: spend that time getting out and volunteering for a cause or candidate you believe in. Find an initiative or candidate for office that speaks to your convictions and learn out how you can help. Whether it's knocking on doors, or working a phone bank, or registering voters, or delivering yard signs, I believe you will find that's a more productive and rewarding use of your time.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rammikin: Oct 16 2016, 10:10 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 16 2016, 11:08 PM
GMC:er
WELL SAID!!!!!!

I could not agree more smile.gif I enjoy a rousing political discussion, but sadly, I've noticed that ours here tend to degrade quickly in to personal attacks. sad.gif I promised myself to not get sucked in again, and yet as Whitesnake says, "Here I go again...".

Your thoughts on a solution are, in my op, brilliant!! Instead of being a "Couch Politico", serving up the red meat to feed the "base", go out and volunteer. Use those moments, however many or few, to make a difference instead of making questionable posts with questionable sources. As Yoda said (NOT DIRECTING THIS TO ANYONE IN PARTICULAR, JUST A COOL QUOTE)
"Much fear I sense in you. Fear leads to Hate. Hate, leads to suffering."

We all lead busy lives to be sure, but putting even a few moments to good use by volunteering on any cause at all, is better than spending those few minutes on vids that are at best "suspect" from any point of view, and not about guitar, which is what GMC is about smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Oct 16 2016, 04:07 PM) *
You've probably read some of the recent articles about how this highly divisive US presidential election is turning friend against friend. It's sad to see that now happening here at GMC with discussions turning heated.

If I may make a suggestion: instead of spending your time scouring youtube for videos that confirm your preconceptions and sharing them on a *GUITAR* forum, or instead of taking out your frustrations on fellow GMC members: spend that time getting out and volunteering for a cause or candidate you believe in. Find an initiative or candidate for office that speaks to your convictions and learn out how you can help. Whether it's knocking on doors, or working a phone bank, or registering voters, or delivering yard signs, I believe you will find that's a more productive and rewarding use of your time.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 17 2016, 07:44 AM
I gave as much money as I could afford to the Clinton and the Democrats. I also have volunteered to drive people to the polls. I am one of the few people with a bumper sticker, people seem scared to put one on this time. And I still post here in these threads some, nothing wrong with that, this is the Chill Out forum.

Attached Image

Attached Image

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 17 2016, 07:50 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 19 2016, 12:24 AM
I must say well done! Putting your money and your time where your mouth is, as they say! Not just politicouching smile.gif I've donated to all the candidates I can stand to give money too but have yet to volunteer, so well done there.

Also, bold move on the bumper sticker! No matter which party you choose, leaving that parties bumper sticker on your car in this political climate takes cahones. Both sides seem prone to extreme behavior. I applaud you standing up for your beliefs and taking action smile.gif

I really wish I could support our libertarian candidate more, but after seeing him appear a bit clueless on world affairs and leaders, I just can't bring myself to do it. I'm still undecided at this point. But I"m running out of time!!

Todd

QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 17 2016, 02:44 AM) *
I gave as much money as I could afford to the Clinton and the Democrats. I also have volunteered to drive people to the polls. I am one of the few people with a bumper sticker, people seem scared to put one on this time. And I still post here in these threads some, nothing wrong with that, this is the Chill Out forum.

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
fkalich
Oct 19 2016, 02:24 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Oct 18 2016, 06:24 PM) *
Also, bold move on the bumper sticker! No matter which party you choose, leaving that parties bumper sticker on your car in this political climate takes cahones. Both sides seem prone to extreme behavior. I applaud you standing up for your beliefs and taking action smile.gif

Todd

I keep my car in the garage though, I don't know about my neighbors, I like getting along with everybody. I have a brother who thinks Obama is totally evil, and Clinton is even more evil. He is a fanatic Catholic who thinks that the abortion issue outweighs every other issue put together. Some of them are like that, and we fallen-Catholic Atheists tend to be a lot more tolerant than the other side is. You never know, my neighbors are friendly to me, but one of them could think that anyone who supports Clinton worships the devil and belongs with Obama and Clinton and Adolf Hitler in the depths of hell. I don't worry about myself, I worry about my dogs. The older I get, the more I see qualities in dogs that I wish more people had.

This post has been edited by fkalich: Oct 19 2016, 02:26 AM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Oct 19 2016, 09:50 PM
I have to agree on Dogs smile.gif If humans share a few more dog traits, especially the ability to just get along after a quick sniffing, that we would have a lot fewer problems as a society. smile.gif Not that I'm a supporter of human sniffing mind you, just making a quick analogy smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (fkalich @ Oct 18 2016, 09:24 PM) *
I keep my car in the garage though, I don't know about my neighbors, I like getting along with everybody. I have a brother who thinks Obama is totally evil, and Clinton is even more evil. He is a fanatic Catholic who thinks that the abortion issue outweighs every other issue put together. Some of them are like that, and we fallen-Catholic Atheists tend to be a lot more tolerant than the other side is. You never know, my neighbors are friendly to me, but one of them could think that anyone who supports Clinton worships the devil and belongs with Obama and Clinton and Adolf Hitler in the depths of hell. I don't worry about myself, I worry about my dogs. The older I get, the more I see qualities in dogs that I wish more people had.

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Nov 10 2016, 06:07 AM
Experienced Rock Star
A post-election postscript.

For everyone around the world who is disconsolate today: don't get angry, get busy. There are many worthwhile organizations which support women's rights and assist the less-fortunate. They will need your help more than ever now.

And do not be discouraged. President Obama made the point today that progress does not always follow a straight line. As fkalich pointed out in another thread: it may not feel that way today, but it's possible the best path to a better America goes paradoxically through a Trump presidency.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Nov 11 2016, 07:17 PM
Well said smile.gif This is my greatest wish. That this administration will lead us, somehow, to being a better version of ourselves as a country than we are now. With this many folks, this angry, and feeling so left out, that it led to this type of massive change, we needed something massive to actually change and it has. My highest hope is that this is a long term positive for our country and for the world. I must admit, I am having a hard time seeing it right now, but I am hopeful as hope is all we got just now.

You bring up a great point also about getting out and doing something. More than ever, organizations are going to need volunteers. Money for many programs is going to be just gone. So folks are going to have to pitch in to make up the difference. It's our country after all, if we won't give of our time/effort/money to make it better, then we deserve what we get.

Todd

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Nov 10 2016, 01:07 AM) *
A post-election postscript.

For everyone around the world who is disconsolate today: don't get angry, get busy. There are many worthwhile organizations which support women's rights and assist the less-fortunate. They will need your help more than ever now.

And do not be discouraged. President Obama made the point today that progress does not always follow a straight line. As fkalich pointed out in another thread: it may not feel that way today, but it's possible the best path to a better America goes paradoxically through a Trump presidency.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 08:58 AM