2 Pages V   1 2 >  
People Should Stop Wasting Time On Guitar Exercises
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 16 2018, 04:29 PM
Instructor
Words by Marty Friedman. Full interview here: LINK.

"Ditch the scales already. People tend to talk about music in relation to scales, but I don't think that way at all.

"I think in terms of phrases and melodies, and the interesting little in-roads that go from one place to another over a chord or a series of chords.

"The liberating side of it is that I never had to memorize billions of different scales. The downside is that if someone asked me to play a particular scale, I couldn't do it... but that never really comes up.

"The point is making something sound right to your own ears - that way it doesn't have to be a memorized sequence of notes. I remember a long time ago, I regretted doing this instructional video because they asked me to explain scales and shit like that."

This is an interesting approach and it surelly developes uniqueness. However, maybe it could limite us. I'm more on the balanced side, in other words in the middle of scale fan nerd and anti scale approach.

What do you think?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Monica Gheorghev...
Jan 16 2018, 05:36 PM
Learning Tone Master
From my point of view Marty has partially right.

People are different and some of them has good ear training and some people really can not hear things.
I think Marty's "strategy" works only for people who has good ears.
The other people who wasn't blessed with good ears and not worked to develop somehow their hearing, definitely must learn music in the same way as math.

In my case, when I compose something I always use my ears and I apply things from a musically side, not thinking at them in a theoretical way. The fact that I am able to explain what I've done from a musical theory point of view, this is totally other story.

I personally believe that people always should keep a balance.
Too many guitar exercises can waste your time and stop you to develop your musicality and train your ears.
But....without learning musical theory and guitar scales, this thing can limit your "musical vocabulary". This is not a good idea if you want to grow up on composition area.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 16 2018, 05:58 PM
GMC:er
Statements like this crack me up.
He may be 'right' (music isn't about scales), but 90% of everything that guy plays is scale, arpeggio and pattern based.

* I like Marty - he has really good feel and a relaxed technique *

It's only ever instrumental rock guitar players who say stuff like this. We get a bad rap because a lot of the time we do sound like scale machines w/o any feel or soul - so I guess it's a thing to disassociate yourself for the scale camp.

Ask a jazz piano player or trumpet or sax player if they think scales are important. They'll say yes.

The fact that he says, "The liberating side of it is that I never had to memorize billions of different scales" illustrates that he doesn't really get what they actually are or what they're good for.
There aren't billions. There aren't even a hundred.
You only need to know three scales or, I should say 3 collections of tones or groupings of notes: Major, Melodic Minor and Pentatonic (Harmonic Minor for extra credit). Everything else just comes from the 'modes' of those.

It's all in how you think about and utilize those 3 or 4 scales.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 16 2018, 07:32 PM

+Quote Post
Mertay
Jan 16 2018, 06:24 PM
I think he said those in a composing perspective, where you get the chance to think and experiment.

We usually focus on jamming ability or the general teaching method (jazz method I guess) is about jamming. The best one can be if 100% focused to this system is either create melodys on guitar as he/she hear in his/her head or have a library of licks flowing through fingers.

Though sure there is an experiment area in jamming (if you know your scales! biggrin.gif ), when composing there is no area or limit. One might as well hit a wrong note and when playing back the audio it may sound odd but great...you can use a scale or harmony you have no idea what it is given enough time and experience.

So in marty's case, he probably hears+feels his chords very well. Well enough to flow with or try escaping them without overdoing things.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 16 2018, 06:50 PM
Learning Roadie
Things like this frustrate me a little to be honest. Let's unpick it a bit;

"Ditch the scales already. People tend to talk about music in relation to scales, but I don't think that way at all."

He may not think this way at all now but his playing reveals that he thought this way at some point or his music wouldn't have some of the melodic properties it currently has. To suggest that people ditch the study of the sound of scale intervals is unhelpful IMHO.

"I think in terms of phrases and melodies, and the interesting little in-roads that go from one place to another over a chord or a series of chords"

He may well think in phrases and melodies (everyone can think this way as music is in most of us to a greater/lesser degree) however he had to build the facility to be able to translate these 'head' sounds into action when he plays. I'd bet that scalar study i.e. the association of a sound and particular interval (along with other things) allowed him to develop this facility.

"The liberating side of it is that I never had to memorize billions of different scales. The downside is that if someone asked me to play a particular scale, I couldn't do it... but that never really comes up"
Billions of different scales - come on.

"The point is making something sound right to your own ears - that way it doesn't have to be a memorized sequence of notes. I remember a long time ago, I regretted doing this instructional video because they asked me to explain scales and shit like that"
I'm sure we can all agree that it doesn't need to be a memorized sequence of notes but sometimes what you want to say musically is a sequence of notes!

If what Marty is saying is don't just play scales then I think most of us would agree. If I wanted to write a book I wouldn't just hit each key on a typewriter keyboard in sequence; I may end up with bunches of letters but they wouldn't mean much! I would learn to mix the letters up in a way that conveys what I want to say. If he is saying don't study them I would disagree wholeheartedly.

I'd suggest that studying scales and more importantly learning what sound they make is an important step in becoming free and able to rearrange them in sequences that mean something musical to the creator.

Just my 10 cents.

Si

This post has been edited by Grappa: Jan 16 2018, 06:57 PM

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2018, 08:31 PM
Marty is really going to get some young/new players in trouble imho by telling them not to learn their scales. It's just wrong IMHO. Learning your scales is part of learning your instrument. It's just part of the process. To say "don't learn your scales" is almost like saying don't learn your multiplication tables to someone who wants to be a mathematician. It's part and parcel to entire thing. Just silly imho. But he loves saying this kind of crap. Loves it.

Then he says "don't learn any techniques or drills". So there goes learning actually how to play. What's left is a purely experimental form of playing bereft of technical ability and bereft of music theory of any kind. The hypocrisy here is that he knows his scales and his arpeggios quite well. He's full of crap saying he doesn't know his scales. I've heard him running scales up the entire neck as far back as CACOPHANY.

I think he says this crap just to get press as he knows it will irritate wads of folks, like me, who are trying to teach people how to play guitar and share the importance of learning Scales, Drills, techniques, as part of the journey of becoming a good player.

Here is Mr. Hypocrite sharing some scales/techniques and telling us that he hates the sound of muted scale runs. Make sense because his bizarre right hand technique doesn't really allow for muted scale runs. Watch @ 2:38, says he just hates muted sounds during solos. Thank goodness, because if he liked it, his wack right hand technique would not serve him very well. In all honesty, it just looks like self taught, poor technique and he's trying to justify it. IMHO. Uggh. I used to like this guy.

Todd

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 16 2018, 08:45 PM

+Quote Post
bleez
Jan 16 2018, 10:06 PM
Experienced Tone Seeker
TBF he does say a lot of dumb stuff in this article. Im assuming he was a little high smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 16 2018, 11:30 PM
That's the worst part. He's a "Straight Edge" from what I've read in previous interviews. He doesn't get high. He just makes silly pronouncements on how everybody else should and should not play the instrument and what type of music they should and should not attempt. It's just galling at some point. After being in Cacophony and Megadeth, to say with a straight face that he doesn't know any scales and doesn't suggest people bother to learn them, is beyond the pale.

Todd

QUOTE (bleez @ Jan 16 2018, 05:06 PM) *
TBF he does say a lot of dumb stuff in this article. Im assuming he was a little high smile.gif

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 16 2018, 11:30 PM

+Quote Post
jstcrsn
Jan 17 2018, 03:53 AM
Learning Tone Master
he seems to bad mouth things his bad picking technique holds him back from doing well

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2018, 04:41 AM
Yup. smile.gif

Todd

QUOTE (jstcrsn @ Jan 16 2018, 10:53 PM) *
he seems to bad mouth things his bad picking technique holds him back from doing well

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 17 2018, 07:57 AM
GMC Founder
Maybe he has got a new album in the making? He likes to go out and provoke the guitar community before new releases! happy.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2018, 02:18 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2018, 03:57 AM) *
Maybe he has got a new album in the making? He likes to go out and provoke the guitar community before new releases! happy.gif

hahah so these are great news. laugh.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2018, 09:18 PM
I didn't think about that but YES!! He does this every time he has a new thing coming out and results in wads of free press. Probably just part of his viral marketing campaign.; He says inflammatory crap and folks start talking about him and reposting his stuff and it generates interest in him. Clever smile.gif

It works on me every time. I end up shouting HOW DARE YOU SIR and forget that he's just causing a stir to raise awareness of him and his latest project.

Todd

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 17 2018, 02:57 AM) *

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 17 2018, 09:19 PM

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 18 2018, 09:05 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 17 2018, 02:18 PM) *
hahah so these are great news. laugh.gif

Yes, maybe this is his way of saying 'buy my album'! laugh.gif

However - he has a very strong an needed point given how a majority of guitarists approach practicing. I don't really take him literally though - I think he does see some use in scales. But it seems many guitarists see scale patterns as a path to music - which it really isn't. It is merely a visualisation tool - and not necessarily the best one.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Storm Linnebjerg
Jan 18 2018, 12:01 PM
Learning Rock Star
*coughcough*Martyyousillygoose*coughcough*

--------------------

Check out my TikTok! - or check out my GMC video comments on YouTube

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 18 2018, 02:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 16 2018, 01:58 PM) *
The fact that he says, "The liberating side of it is that I never had to memorize billions of different scales" illustrates that he doesn't really get what they actually are or what they're good for.
There aren't billions. There aren't even a hundred.
You only need to know three scales or, I should say 3 collections of tones or groupings of notes: Major, Melodic Minor and Pentatonic (Harmonic Minor for extra credit). Everything else just comes from the 'modes' of those.

It's all in how you think about and utilize those 3 or 4 scales.

It's true that it's enough with those scales but Marty is known (or was, when he liked scales) by using Exotic Scales, so that's what he surely refers to. However, these scales are reductions of combinations of the 4 scales that you've listed. It's awesome to see how many different feels you can get depending on which notes you choose from the 12 tones of the chromatic scale.

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/lessonser.../Exotic-Scales/

https://www.pianoscales.org/exotic.html

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Grappa
Jan 18 2018, 02:19 PM
Learning Roadie
Not strictly related but picture reminded me of Jason Becker - how tragic...

Si

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 18 2018, 03:58 PM
QUOTE (Gabriel Leopardi @ Jan 18 2018, 06:06 AM) *
It's true that it's enough with those scales but Marty is known (or was, when he liked scales) by using Exotic Scales, so that's what he surely refers to. However, these scales are reductions of combinations of the 4 scales that you've listed. It's awesome to see how many different feels you can get depending on which notes you choose from the 12 tones of the chromatic scale.

He doesn't use very many (if any) 'exotic' scales.
In that video, it's just the harmonic minor starting on different note other than the root.
Adding one chromatic tone to scale doesn't count as 'exotic'.

Even if he did employ actual exotic scales there's still not that many of them: a handful or two from Asia, N. Africa and the Mid East. *All those are utilized modally as well i.e., starting on different notes depending on the sound and texture you're looking for.

The more vids of him I watch, especially the instructional type, the more I think he is completely full of shit.

I still like the way he plays but in the immortal words of Frank Zappa, "shut up and play your guitar!"

This post has been edited by klasaine: Jan 19 2018, 03:44 PM

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 19 2018, 01:20 PM
Instructor
Hahaha I also think that these are marketing comments.

For those that don't want to follow Marty's suggestions, I recommend this lesson:

https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Hirajo...Friedman-Style/

biggrin.gif

--------------------
My lessons

Join Gab's Army

+Quote Post
Arpeggio
Jan 20 2018, 09:17 PM
Props to Marty I guess. Marketing hype, gotta use what works in the real world?.....sadly.

1000x more talent on his little finger than all the Kardashians.

--------------------
Founder of new startup social network site that brings the good aspects of MySpace, Twitter and FaceBook together.

MyTwitFace.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:03 AM