Philip Glass Lecture 2013
verciazghra
Oct 28 2013, 08:31 AM
GMC:er
http://vimeo.com/66870615

Just finished watching, Philip Glass shares some of his stories and experiences of both the discipline of classical music training and the music business as well as some in depth informaiton about his writing process.

Much love

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

"The only love affair I have ever had was with music." -Maurice Ravel

"There's no such place as dumb question." -Dose One
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 28 2013, 03:35 PM
Cool.
I will watch it probably tonight.
Thank you!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 29 2013, 03:41 PM
Watching it now ...
This is outstanding!

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Oct 29 2013, 05:18 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 29 2013, 03:41 PM) *
Watching it now ...
This is outstanding!

Glad you're liking it my friend. I thought it was extremely good. Good questions, good talking topics. Glass sure has a few rather humble opinions on life as an artist.

What do you think?

--------------------
"To achieve great things, two things are needed; a plan, and not quite enough time." -Leonard Bernstein

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 29 2013, 05:40 PM
Nothing specific yet. Usually it takes me days (years? ... never?) to process interviews with guys that are that important and influential. at some point within my day I'll have a revelation regarding something he said. I was introduced to Glass in the early 80s via Koyaanisqatsi. I loved (and still do love) the movie at the time but was a little unsure/confused by the music. Like Glass, I'm intrigued by stuff I truly don't understand. I realize now how absolutely 'genius' (actual genius) it is both musically and culturally.

I really appreciate and admire that he's at once an artist but totally steeped in, aware and cognizant of the history, tradition and physical technique of making music.

*Didn't know he studied with Boulanger! Talk about 'in good company'.

This post has been edited by klasaine: Oct 29 2013, 05:45 PM

+Quote Post
verciazghra
Oct 29 2013, 06:28 PM
QUOTE (klasaine @ Oct 29 2013, 05:40 PM) *
Nothing specific yet. Usually it takes me days (years? ... never?) to process interviews with guys that are that important and influential. at some point within my day I'll have a revelation regarding something he said. I was introduced to Glass in the early 80s via Koyaanisqatsi. I loved (and still do love) the movie at the time but was a little unsure/confused by the music. Like Glass, I'm intrigued by stuff I truly don't understand. I realize now how absolutely 'genius' (actual genius) it is both musically and culturally.

I really appreciate and admire that he's at once an artist but totally steeped in, aware and cognizant of the history, tradition and physical technique of making music.

*Didn't know he studied with Boulanger! Talk about 'in good company'.

Very cool man, I was introduced to Glass through Koyaanisqatsi as well, it's a truely extraordinary work(both the film and the music). His music has always been enigmatic to me but when I've heard him speak about how important it was for him to find his own voice(which is a great advice too), it sort of started "clicking" a bit. Love how he answers a question of:"your music often seems emotionally dense, what was your intent in the writing process?" with; "The fact that you think it's emotionally dense tells me more about you than it does of me." and that; "We used to get asked by people what our music was about, and we just asked them back: 'Well what do you think it's about?" and whatever they said we'd say: 'That's it!"."

I'll probably have to watch it a few more times to get everything out of it

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Oct 30 2013, 03:17 PM
I'm very interested in his take on 'the Trial' - hope it gets to the west coast of the states.

Really cool how he relates historical contexts from when he was just starting out - and now. Also his take on artists who do commercial work as well as art pieces and that the commercial stuff doesn't negatively impact the 'art'.

If you haven't read it, you'll like this ... http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/707141...._as_a_Young_Man
A biography with a point of view, an opinion and a thesis.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 03:32 PM