4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Fire & Flames, Dragonforce
Rapitap
Mar 25 2009, 06:07 PM
GMC:er
Hm...I do have small hands...and I'm only 162cm tall...Oh noo!
laugh.gif Should I have bought a "baby-guitar"?!
Am I in real troubble here or is my only way foreward tapping tapping tapping?!?!
blink.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Rapitap: Mar 25 2009, 06:15 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 25 2009, 06:13 PM
Yeah it`s a big matter of height too i think, I`m 194cm.. biggrin.gif and yes there are guitars with smaller scale size, might be useful in future for you think smile.gif
No, just keep practising and you will reach more with your fretting hand. I think string skipping, tapping, and sweeping(especially minor shapes on lower frets) helps good with stretching. Well there always are tons of ways.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 25 2009, 06:23 PM

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 25 2009, 06:17 PM
Hm..If so, why do you think the guy in the shop sold the guitar to me?...would'nt it be proper for him to have said something? Or is that something I shouldnt take for granted?

This post has been edited by Rapitap: Mar 25 2009, 09:17 PM

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 25 2009, 06:29 PM
Well shop-assistants are not always interested in customer wishes smile.gif and I`m not saying you NEED guitar with smaller scale size, they are aren`t very widespread, but you could try and maybe you`ll like it:) For example Yngwie don`t have long thin fingers but looks like he feels great with his biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
berko
Mar 25 2009, 06:31 PM
QUOTE (Rapitap @ Mar 25 2009, 06:17 PM) *
*noted*
Hm..If so, why do you think the guy in the shop sold the guitar to me?...would'nt it be proper for him to have said something? Or is that something I shouldnt take for granted?

Only talking about hand size: Stretching from the 10th fret I can hardly reach the 16th fret (I can, but it's much harder to handle and I couldn't ever reach the 17th fret, not even with the point of my pinky). You have perfectly normal hands. Speaking of small guitars: there are small guitars with the fretboard 3/4 or 1/2 the size of a normal guitar - these are for very young children. Other than that, guitar scales only differ in a maximum of 1 inch (24.5 - 25.5 inch). Bass guitars and guitars with more lower bass strings (7 and 8 string guitars) can have a 27 or 30 inch scale, but that's LONG.

So don't worry about it, you wouldn't even notice the difference.

if you have a finger on the 10 fret and would like to reach the 19th, you can always tap the 19th fret smile.gif

--------------------
High speed, low drag

Check out my YouTube channel
HERE!

Here you can find my
MYSPACE

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 25 2009, 06:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
I can only reach 17 comfortably and I am also about 190ish cm hahah . Do they not play that part over the top of the neck? Which makes the stretch A LOT easier?

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 25 2009, 06:41 PM
Well i can reach even 20 fret (looks creepy ohmy.gif ) and string even rings a bit( not fully biggrin.gif) but i can`t play something with that, so there are no point for now, and i believe that with years of playing fingers grows somehow! ohmy.gif actually this is the only explanation i see why Paul Gilbert`s pinky is enormously long!
btw- My left hand middle finger is for 3-4 milimeters longer than right hand`s, LOL... maybe they really grow somehow.
And no, i stretch with holding thumb behind the neck, without that this is completely unuseful, you jsut can`t hit hard enough to ring something:)

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 25 2009, 07:03 PM

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 25 2009, 09:24 PM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 25 2009, 06:41 PM) *
Well i can reach even 20 fret (looks creepy ohmy.gif ) and string even rings a bit( not fully biggrin.gif) but i can`t play something with that, so there are no point for now, and i believe that with years of playing fingers grows somehow! ohmy.gif actually this is the only explanation i see why Paul Gilbert`s pinky is enormously long!

btw- My left hand middle finger is for 3-4 milimeters longer than right hand`s, LOL... maybe they really grow somehow.
And no, i stretch with holding thumb behind the neck, without that this is completely unuseful, you jsut can`t hit hard enough to ring something:)

Ohh....thats creepy... blink.gif

QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 25 2009, 05:58 PM) *
15 ? no way.. mellow.gif do a proper warm up always before playing and sure you will do better!

btw. A good warup will it ...ehm...laugh.gif ...grow a fingerlenght too? smile.gif

This post has been edited by Rapitap: Mar 25 2009, 09:31 PM

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 26 2009, 07:48 AM
Well, no but you need to do a warmup, if you don`t want to get injury on your fingers\wrist, and also that makes you play a bit better than without warmup.
https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-guit...-marcus-siepen/ That`s a really good warmup, i do it myself everyday, i added much more things, but for beginner (or you aren`t a beginner?) it should be more than enough.
And never play with cold hands, it`s painful and risky:)

Not that creepy, and nothing really unusual, our instructor Ian Bushell can reach even more i think
Attached Image
We`ve doing serious offtop here tongue.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 26 2009, 07:49 AM

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 26 2009, 08:35 AM
Looks a bit weird. Thanks for the link. I'll bookmark it smile.gif

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 26 2009, 08:44 AM
Yeah, that guitar horn ( or how it`s called) disturb my hand, so it`s a bit wierd.. And you don`t need to bookmark it! Jump on it now! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 26 2009, 08:48 AM
QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 26 2009, 08:44 AM) *
Yeah, that guitar horn ( or how it`s called) disturb my hand, so it`s a bit wierd.. And you don`t need to bookmark it! Jump on it now! tongue.gif

Ok. I'm on it, now.
biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 26 2009, 10:07 AM
*coffee break*
Uh, speaking of that. Hehe, by the time my hand is rested It's more or less cold again... *hmrpf*
And it is really a funny feeling: the fingertips on my left hand still feels asleep as well as throbbing...
blink.gif

+Quote Post
Andrew6
Mar 26 2009, 10:10 AM
Learning Rock Star
becareful! Don't rush into those huge stretches you can do some damage, take time and do easier exercises first such as the finger independence series this will help work to those stretches you shouldnt simply start at the high end of things i.e. you wouldn't learn 8 finger tapping before you learn 1 finger taping laugh.gif

--------------------
The Gear Box:

Jackon RR5 Randy Rhoads
Epiphone Special II
Ibanez GRG170DX

Rogue Electric Acoustic (CHEAP lol)

Behringer GX210 AMP
Crate GT30 AMP

Korg Ax5G Effects Unit
Zoom G2 Effects Unit

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 26 2009, 10:14 AM
I have tapped my first note tongue.gif

QUOTE (Andrew6 @ Mar 26 2009, 10:10 AM) *
becareful! Don't rush into those huge stretches you can do some damage, take time and do easier exercises first such as the finger independence series this will help work to those stretches you shouldnt simply start at the high end of things i.e. you wouldn't learn 8 finger tapping before you learn 1 finger taping laugh.gif

Quite hard to know actually. If I am careful or not...because it's supposed to hurt, right?
Maybe it would help if I knew how my posture is and actually should be?
Hm...

This post has been edited by Rapitap: Mar 26 2009, 10:15 AM

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 26 2009, 10:18 AM
QUOTE (Rapitap @ Mar 26 2009, 11:12 AM) *
I have tapped my first note tongue.gif

Congrats on that! smile.gif yes and of course don`t rush things that Andrew mentioned, all will come with time ph34r.gif
Oh and i forgot, you can do that before warm up on guitar, that will be perfect tongue.gif And when you hands are getting cold again, just massage them a bit, or just don`t take too large breaks biggrin.gif like 1 minute playing, 3 minutes resting laugh.gif

If it hurts you should stop immediately! if it`s uncomfortoble a bit it`s ok, but not painful. You not gonna do the split if it hurts, right? laugh.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 26 2009, 10:21 AM

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 26 2009, 10:46 AM
Thanks for that video!
biggrin.gif

QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 26 2009, 10:18 AM) *
You not gonna do the split if it hurts, right? laugh.gif

Hehe, well...if you by accident slide on milk on some slippery ceramic floor ...you may find yourself in the split position...
laugh.gif

+Quote Post
AlexLion
Mar 26 2009, 11:16 AM
Well, maybe biggrin.gif but i`ll better fall like a sack of potatoes instead of doing the split laugh.gif
Oh, and there are some lessons you may find helpful - https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/One_o_one_tapping.htm, https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/speed-alt...ing-lesson1.htm, https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/beginner-...nner-scales.htm rolleyes.gif

This post has been edited by AlexLion: Mar 26 2009, 11:16 AM

+Quote Post
Rapitap
Mar 26 2009, 11:19 AM
*woohoo* Thanks a bunch Alex biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Jesse
Mar 26 2009, 03:20 PM
ehm he actually fell:D

QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 25 2009, 05:31 PM) *
I don`t tried, but trust me that hitting note with your pinky on 19 fret while your index finger is on 10 is even harder laugh.gif Guitar hero don`t make you play better, but i think it`s a fun game, i love to try that. cool.gif

I can actually hit the 20th with pinky:D

QUOTE (AlexLion @ Mar 25 2009, 05:31 PM) *
I don`t tried, but trust me that hitting note with your pinky on 19 fret while your index finger is on 10 is even harder laugh.gif Guitar hero don`t make you play better, but i think it`s a fun game, i love to try that. cool.gif

I can actually hit the 20th with pinky:D

--------------------
Don't just play it. Feel it!

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:36 PM