Elbow Problem
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 17 2009, 09:38 PM
GMC:er
This has been going on for some time with my right arm ( picking hand ) elbow.

For heavy riffs I find myself picking from the elbow. I am starting to notice little kinks and pains here and there from my elbow after playing them for awhile

Am I getting tendinitis ? I dont really know what to do because I pick that way to get that desired sound.

Can anyone give me some information on this.

Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Join Me On the Lyrics Board !

"Find something worth dying for...

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
djohnneay
Sep 17 2009, 09:59 PM
Is it pain like your muscles tense up, or like when they are exhausted ? Also, is it continuous pain that doesn't go away ? Or does it go away after a while ?

If it doesn't go away, go see a docter, if it does, give it a good rest and re-check the way you pick these riffs to see if there is a non-painful way of doing so.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 17 2009, 10:08 PM
QUOTE (djohnneay @ Sep 17 2009, 01:59 PM) *
Is it pain like your muscles tense up, or like when they are exhausted ? Also, is it continuous pain that doesn't go away ? Or does it go away after a while ?

If it doesn't go away, go see a docter, if it does, give it a good rest and re-check the way you pick these riffs to see if there is a non-painful way of doing so.

Its pain like my muscles on my elbow are tensing up.

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
jafomatic
Sep 17 2009, 10:58 PM
Go see a real doctor in real person. Asking guitar players over the inter-web tubes for their medical opinions is a little bit scary.

--------------------
::jafomatic

http://jafomatic.net/tunes/ <-- Here lies the master collection of my collaboration and other improvisation recordings.

+Quote Post
Eat-Sleep-andJam
Sep 17 2009, 11:15 PM
QUOTE (jafomatic @ Sep 17 2009, 02:58 PM) *
Go see a real doctor in real person. Asking guitar players over the inter-web tubes for their medical opinions is a little bit scary.

I planned it. Thanks for the reply smile.gif

--------------------

...And live for it"
-The Uncreator

+Quote Post
djohnneay
Sep 18 2009, 11:29 AM
Of course you should always go see a real doctor when you've got a medical problem. But I see no harm in also asking this in a thread, to see if other people are dealing with this as well. His way of picking could be incorrect, and guitar players are more suitable for that kind of advice then doctors.

--------------------

+Quote Post
TheOldOnes
Sep 18 2009, 11:58 AM
There are generally two schools of thought on how to deal with tendenitis - one is to rest the arm until it gets better, the other is to work through it but reduce the stress and increase stretching exercises. I went through a bout of tendinitis about a year ago after doing a number of exercises associated with alternate picking. It developed slowly over a period of about a month where it didn't really bother me much when I was playing but it hurt when doing other things around the house - but it was definitely associated with playing guitar. With all this new stuff and the excitement of learning new riffs, I would really tense up during the faster and more difficult spots. I took a week off and it did nothing to help so I started doing light exercises trying to keep my arm relaxed as much as possible. The guitar exercises I played at slower speeds (which is fine and now my preference rather than trying for speed) and within a month, it essentially disappeared. It still occassionally twinges and I use that as a good warning to slow down and relax.

Nevertheless, your problem may be different so getting medical advice cannot hurt.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:53 PM