Edge Pro Trem, help!
SLASH91
Nov 19 2007, 06:20 AM
GMC:er
I recently bought an Ibanez Rg2550e which has the Edge Pro tremelo just like the JEM. I recently changed out the strings on it with the help of the videos on Youtube that were posted here, and I made sure that the tremelo was parallel with the body, I also stretched the strings pretty well. Here's my problem- As soon as whammy at all the tuning goes straight to hell. The low E string jumps all of the way to F!! I made sure that the tremelo was parallel, so I really don't see what the problem is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Digitech Distortion Factory
Jackson RR24 (Randy Rhoads)
Ibanez RG2550e
A ripoff brand acoustic guitar
and a Yamaha Classical guitar :)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 19 2007, 06:33 AM
Take a look here...

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 19 2007, 06:42 AM
QUOTE (botoxfox @ Nov 18 2007, 11:33 PM) *
Take a look here...

Hmmm... I guess that I havn't stretched the strings enough. Thanks, man smile.gif

--------------------

"Remember to live, eat, sleep and breathe music for the mind, play from your heart and never be swayed by the current trends"-
Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
ZakkWylde
Nov 19 2007, 07:51 AM
Learning Tone Master
Stupid question: did you lock the nuts on your headstock?

This post has been edited by ZakkWylde: Nov 19 2007, 07:52 AM

--------------------

Gear:
- Jackson USA Select KV2 King V with EMG 81/85
- Gibson Les Paul Custom Arctic White with EMG 81/85
- Ibanez Rg 8527 J Custom 7-String with DiMarzio Evolution and Air Norton

- Peavey 6505+ head with Marshall 1960AV 4x12 cab
- Peavey Vypyr 30 Practice Amp
- Dunlop Crybaby From Hell, Maxon OD808, Boss TU-2, MXR CarbonCopy, ISP Decimator, MXR Custom Audio Electronics Booster

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 19 2007, 07:56 AM
QUOTE (ZakkWylde @ Nov 19 2007, 12:51 AM) *
Stupid question: did you lock the nuts on your headstock?

Yep, but right now, I have them off. I'm trying to stretch the strings, but it's taking forever. I've been doing it for like 45 minutes and I've only gotten to the A string.

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 19 2007, 07:59 AM
Instructor
Locking the nuts is pretty important! smile.gif When i stretch strings i don't do it too long, and i never have problems with de-tuning. Strings might loose the tune for next 3 days after restringing but not that hard.

Make sure you're locking the nut lockers.

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
SLASH91
Nov 19 2007, 08:00 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Nov 19 2007, 12:59 AM) *
Locking the nuts is pretty important! smile.gif When i stretch strings i don't do it too long, and i never have problems with de-tuning. Strings might loose the tune for next 3 days after restringing but not that hard.

Make sure you're locking the nut lockers.

So the nuts should be locked while I'm stretching the strings?

--------------------

Rusty Cooley

My gear:

Marshall Valvstate
Ibanez RG2550e

+Quote Post
MickeM
Nov 19 2007, 08:04 AM
Born of NWOBHM, Moderation Team Leader
Are the new string same gauge/size as the old ones? Otherwise they will put either less or more tension on the tremolo compared to before.

+Quote Post
Ron Lucas
Nov 25 2007, 05:35 PM
QUOTE (MickeM @ Nov 19 2007, 12:04 AM) *
Are the new string same gauge/size as the old ones? Otherwise they will put either less or more tension on the tremolo compared to before.

I have an Ibanez S520 and had problems staying in tune after I dove or pulled up on the trem. It would not return to the correct pitch.

After reading this post, the chapstick idea solved my issue. I know there are different opinions about chapstick, but it worked for me.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/tuning_stability.htm

Good luck.
Ron

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 25 2007, 07:37 PM
Yeah, lipbalm sticks are great, my whammy stays almost 100 % in tune on pull-ups now.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Pavel
Nov 25 2007, 09:20 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (SLASH91 @ Nov 19 2007, 08:00 AM) *
So the nuts should be locked while I'm stretching the strings?

No! You lock them after you are done with tuning! smile.gif

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 26 2007, 12:17 PM
This puzzles me since your strings should be going flat, not sharp...

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post
botoxfox
Nov 26 2007, 12:22 PM
It should only go sharp on pull-ups...

--------------------

+Quote Post
Goliath
Nov 26 2007, 04:23 PM
yes, if the tremolo is engaged, but if it's just from string stretching, like he's making it sound, the string would go flat.

--------------------
"King V" enthusiast

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:07 AM