Pentatonic Scales, which scale to use
ronnyray
Jul 2 2007, 06:24 AM
GMC:er
when i'm jamming to the standard 1-4-5 blues chords is there a recommended pentatonic form to use at each change? say i'm in the key of "e"- can i use the "a" scale when changing to the "a7" chord or do i stick with the "e" scale in a different form?

am i making any sense?

(the last question is rhetorical)

thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 2)
Ryan
Jul 2 2007, 08:11 AM
I believe that you would just stick with the key of E IMO!!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Resurrection
Jul 2 2007, 09:18 AM
QUOTE (ronnyray @ Jul 2 2007, 06:24 AM) *
when i'm jamming to the standard 1-4-5 blues chords is there a recommended pentatonic form to use at each change? say i'm in the key of "e"- can i use the "a" scale when changing to the "a7" chord or do i stick with the "e" scale in a different form?

am i making any sense?

(the last question is rhetorical)

thanks.

As Ryan mentioned sticking with the E scale is traditional, especially if it's a traditional blues feel that you want. However, there's nothing theoretically "wrong" with changing scales on chord changes - check out the recent "Pentatonic Substitution" lesson from Muris for some ideas on how to do this with the pentatonic scale. You will, of course, end up with a different type of sound to your leads, which may or may not work well with the type of music you're playing.

http://www2.guitarmasterclass.net/solo-gui...esson/index.htm

--------------------
If you think you can, you can. And if you think you can't, you're right.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 12:26 PM