Help! Alternate-speed Picking!
atomix1337
Jul 8 2007, 02:35 AM
GMC:er
So, i can alternate speed pick fast passages, timing is great, but its noisy as all hell, compared to oh say, everyone else's :|.

What do you think i am doing wrong? I've tried superthick picks, ive tried superthin. ><!

What I am saying is, i hear more pick noises than notes ><!

-an apprentice smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by atomix1337: Jul 8 2007, 02:38 AM

--------------------
Gear: Ibanez VBT700BK, Ibanez RG270 Custom Painted (JB/Jazz pups), Strat Knockoff, Marshall V8080, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss MT-2, Boss CH-1 Chorus, Korg AX1G MultiFX.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 11)
SDMF75
Jul 8 2007, 02:44 AM
Are you holding the pick at an angle when striking the string? Also, how hard is the pick actually hitting the string? Obviously the harder you're hitting the string the more noise you'll get tongue.gif . I used to have to tell myself.....I love my strings, I love my strings, I love my strings tongue.gif to keep from hitting them too hard.

By they way, only the very tip of my pick is hitting the string when it hits. I use 1 MM Nylon Jim Dunlop Jazz III's. It's a pretty small pick compared to a standard size pick and took some getting use to but I can't stand holding a regular sized pick now. They feel like I'm holding a brick.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by SDMF75: Jul 8 2007, 02:49 AM

--------------------
Guitars - Schecter C1-FR Hellraiser Black Cherry
Ibanez Iceman w/ DiMarzio Super Distortion in the Bridge and DiMarzio Humbucker from Hell in the Neck
Xaviere XV-700 Cherry Sunburst (Les Paul copy)
Lyon Def Leppard Special Union Jack (to go under construction soon - 1st thing to be removed will be the Def Lep logo on the headstock and then off to change the pickups etc. - plays pretty well for a Target special)
Washburn KC-40 (in pieces and about to be re-painted)
Yamaha Classical Acoustic

Bass - Signed Gene Simmons Punisher Tobacco Sunburst #345 - Collector purposes only

Amp - Roland Cube 60, Roland MicroCube

Effects - Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah

Fat bottomed girls You make the rockin' world go round!!

+Quote Post
atomix1337
Jul 8 2007, 02:50 AM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jul 8 2007, 02:44 AM) *
Are you holding the pick at an angle when striking the string? Also, how hard is the pick actually hitting the string? Obviously the harder you're hitting the string the more noise you'll get tongue.gif . I used to have to tell myself.....I love my strings, I love my strings, I love my strings tongue.gif to keep from hitting them too hard.

Aha, simple things to take in consideration, i seem not to remember this when im pickin' away happy.gif.

Thanks man, ill be sure to remember this when im practicing.

--------------------
Gear: Ibanez VBT700BK, Ibanez RG270 Custom Painted (JB/Jazz pups), Strat Knockoff, Marshall V8080, Boss GE-7 EQ, Boss MT-2, Boss CH-1 Chorus, Korg AX1G MultiFX.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 02:50 AM
Maybe its your muting?? Try to Work on that and see if that helps any!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
AIB234
Jul 8 2007, 05:36 AM
QUOTE (Ryan @ Jul 7 2007, 08:50 PM) *
Maybe its your muting?? Try to Work on that and see if that helps any!!

I think this is more likely the problem but there's a question you can answer to help us help you...

What's making the extra noise? Other strings or the one you're playing?

If it's other strings you need to work on muting.

+Quote Post
JOhn
Jul 8 2007, 10:16 AM
i think i know what you mean, its were you hit the string and you can hear the pick striking the strings pretty well yeah?

--------------------
The only man it's OK to love is Paul Gilbert.

+Quote Post
Ryan
Jul 8 2007, 10:26 AM
QUOTE (JOhn @ Jul 8 2007, 04:16 AM) *
i think i know what you mean, its were you hit the string and you can hear the pick striking the strings pretty well yeah?

If thats what it is. With you pick. Im sorry, but i cant help. That just came natural to me. So never had to worry about that, but i guess i could say the usual biggrin.gif Practice, Practice, Practice. Play really slowly. Concentrating on yoru muting the strings, and lightly picking down, up, down, up!!
I wouldnt know any other way than that!!

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Pavel
Jul 8 2007, 01:02 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (atomix1337 @ Jul 8 2007, 03:35 AM) *
So, i can alternate speed pick fast passages, timing is great, but its noisy as all hell, compared to oh say, everyone else's :|.

Well that basically means you CAN'T pick fast passages as it's TOO NOISY! Try lowing the gain on your distortion and practice slower. Noise is basically your picking and muting. Also hitting correct frets is pretty important wink.gif

Keep us updated on the progress!

--------------------
"It isn't how many years you have been playing, it's how many hours." -- Prashant Aswani

"PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE!" -- Michael Angelo Batio

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

+Quote Post
atomix1337
Jul 9 2007, 02:12 AM
QUOTE (Pavel @ Jul 8 2007, 01:02 PM) *
Well that basically means you CAN'T pick fast passages as it's TOO NOISY! Try lowing the gain on your distortion and practice slower. Noise is basically your picking and muting. Also hitting correct frets is pretty important wink.gif

Keep us updated on the progress!

Got it, thanks for the responses guys.

It's DEFINITELY my muting, i find it hard to mute efficiently while doing those wide 6 string sweeps, any suggestions :s ? ...besides PRACTICE happy.gif !

Do you guys run your hand over each string (to mute it) as you play it? Or just make your whole hand-palm thing rest on the strings (all 6) whilst playing? I try to do that and i can get 5 strings muted and one string TOO much muted, or vice versa><. But i'll experiment and get back to you guys with that.

And to "John"...
...yes! I very much hear my pick striking the strings, and it's very loud :]

Ugh, lack of sleep is getting to me and i'm confusing techniques about when i was working on my sweep picking. ignore that last chunk :|

ALSO, i didnt know you had to mute the strings when your playing speedy stuff like that.
! ! !

This post has been edited by atomix1337: Jul 9 2007, 02:19 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
E.S.P Nut
Jul 9 2007, 05:40 PM
QUOTE (SDMF75 @ Jul 8 2007, 02:44 AM) *

By they way, only the very tip of my pick is hitting the string when it hits. I use 1 MM Nylon Jim Dunlop Jazz III's. It's a pretty small pick compared to a standard size pick and took some getting use to but I can't stand holding a regular sized pick now. They feel like I'm holding a brick.

Ahh good to hear i picked up some Jim Dunlop Jazz III's the weekend and im having trouble adapting from the tortex

--------------------
Guitars: ESP KH-2 Black,Gibson Les Paul STD Honey Burst(2000),Gibson Les Paul STD Root Beer (2007).

Amps: Marshall TSL,Line 6 spider 2 (practice amp).

Pedals: Boss GT-8,Boss Metal Zone 2,Ibanez TSL,Electro harmonix Small clone,Dunlop Crybaby.

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Jul 9 2007, 06:06 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (atomix1337 @ Jul 8 2007, 03:35 AM) *

What do you think i am doing wrong? I've tried superthick picks, ive tried superthin. ><!

What I am saying is, i hear more pick noises than notes ><!

-an apprentice smile.gif

Atomix,show as a piece of video or mp3 where you are playing picking,
than we could say more about what to do.
Cheers

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
jammer91
Jul 10 2007, 07:08 PM
Yeah, all you gotta do is hold the pick at an angle.

Other than that PRACTICE SLOWLY>>>> Yeah that is the secret to good and fluent speed picking

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 12:27 AM