Active Monitor Speaker Advice
liveOASISforever
Mar 16 2017, 07:17 AM
GMC:er
Hi

A have just bought a Kemper and am looking for advice on a decent set of active monitor speakers to use with it. Budget about £400 max.

Thanks in advance

Sean

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2017, 08:33 AM
I've always felt a dilemma when choosing a monitor speaker for mix vs guitar. At home I don't prefer 8" woofers when mixing/recording but for guitar playing only the bigger woofer fells more real.

Do you already have studio monitors? I'd like to ask cause you can also use active PA speakers. Bass/guitar players use them at home and carry them to small gig's too. I played through different PA speakers at 2-3 friends homes at different times, although they were used/super affordable speakers it felt very ballsy and more fun than studio monitors. Although they were big in size, could perform well at lower levels.

For studio monitors, Yamaha HS8 is very popular in that price range where I live.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 16 2017, 10:44 AM
GMC Founder
If you on plan on using this setup at home only, I suggest you get nearfield monitors as used in recording studios.

The Kemper can sound exactly like the guitar you hear on pro records. So whichever setup allows you to listen to pro records on, is perfect for the kemper as well.

I don't believe in sub woofers or anything like that. I personally use my kemper with cheap Behringer Truth B2031A. They are a bit big but sound very transparent - I have had them for aprox 10 years and don't plan on replacing them.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 16 2017, 11:46 AM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2017, 07:33 AM) *
I've always felt a dilemma when choosing a monitor speaker for mix vs guitar. At home I don't prefer 8" woofers when mixing/recording but for guitar playing only the bigger woofer fells more real.

Do you already have studio monitors? I'd like to ask cause you can also use active PA speakers. Bass/guitar players use them at home and carry them to small gig's too. I played through different PA speakers at 2-3 friends homes at different times, although they were used/super affordable speakers it felt very ballsy and more fun than studio monitors. Although they were big in size, could perform well at lower levels.

For studio monitors, Yamaha HS8 is very popular in that price range where I live.

Hi mertay

I don't currently have studio monitors.

I did read on another forum about needing a bigger woofer to sound more real. I was contemplating buying the powered kemper and using it with a cab. Although a will only be using it in my house so I thought the extra cash for the powered version plus a cab could buy me a decent set of speakers and suit me better.

I really would like to be able to try different speakers out but unfortunately a won't be able to do that where I live.

A was looking online and the Yamaha hs8 had caught my eye.

Am going to have a think about it today but will be purchasing a set of monitor speakers buy the end of today or tomorrow morning

+Quote Post
Tom51
Mar 16 2017, 12:25 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 16 2017, 10:44 AM) *
If you on plan on using this setup at home only, I suggest you get nearfield monitors as used in recording studios.

The Kemper can sound exactly like the guitar you hear on pro records. So whichever setup allows you to listen to pro records on, is perfect for the kemper as well.

Do you mean you do not record the Kemper via audio interface but instead have a setup with microphone at the nearfield monitor(or in the studio / room)?
Just curious as I want to know before buying a Kemper which setup woulld be best - Thank you.

Tom

+Quote Post
Rammikin
Mar 16 2017, 02:09 PM
Experienced Rock Star
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 16 2017, 10:46 AM) *
I was contemplating buying the powered kemper and using it with a cab. Although a will only be using it in my house so I thought the extra cash for the powered version plus a cab could buy me a decent set of speakers and suit me better.

The Kemper has cabinet emulation and you'll be recording it direct, so you don't want a traditional guitar cabinet since that would defeat the purpose of the Kemper. Instead, you want something with a flat response. It's possible to get a guitar cabinet with flat response that is specifically designed for use with a modeler, but those are intended for use on stage. Since you're only using the Kemper at home, you'd be better off with powered studio monitors and the version of the Kemper without the power amp.

Personally, I swear by Genelec monitors. The quality is excellent.

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Mar 16 2017, 02:57 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 16 2017, 02:09 PM) *
The Kemper has cabinet emulation and you'll be recording it direct, so you don't want a traditional guitar cabinet since that would defeat the purpose of the Kemper. Instead, you want something with a flat response. It's possible to get a guitar cabinet with flat response that is specifically designed for use with a modeler, but those are intended for use on stage. Since you're only using the Kemper at home, you'd be better off with powered studio monitors and the version of the Kemper without the power amp.

That's what I was trying to explain smile.gif thanks

QUOTE (Tom51 @ Mar 16 2017, 12:25 PM) *
Do you mean you do not record the Kemper via audio interface but instead have a setup with microphone at the nearfield monitor(or in the studio / room)?
Just curious as I want to know before buying a Kemper which setup woulld be best - Thank you.

Tom

I do record direct via audio interface, it's super easy and results are amazing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2017, 03:13 PM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 16 2017, 10:46 AM) *

Cool, then studio monitors are for you, I suggest something with atleast 6.5" or bigger woofer (and as kris mentioned no sub needed).

Each brand of monitors has a sound to them but like guitars we start from somewhere then find whats really for us. I can't give many suggestions to you as I'm not familiar to models in the present market, but a popular monitor like the yamaha wouldn't be a bad start (and will probably hold better value when you want to upgrade)

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 16 2017, 08:14 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2017, 02:13 PM) *
Cool, then studio monitors are for you, I suggest something with atleast 6.5" or bigger woofer (and as kris mentioned no sub needed).

Each brand of monitors has a sound to them but like guitars we start from somewhere then find whats really for us. I can't give many suggestions to you as I'm not familiar to models in the present market, but a popular monitor like the yamaha wouldn't be a bad start (and will probably hold better value when you want to upgrade)

Hi Mertay

I decided to go for the Yamaha hs7. The hs8 would of cost me £150 more. I am going on holiday in a few months so thinking about keeping the cost down.

They will arrive tomorrow. smile.gif

Thanks for youre help

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Mar 16 2017, 09:44 AM) *

I don't believe in sub woofers or anything like that. I personally use my kemper with cheap Behringer Truth B2031A. They are a bit big but sound very transparent - I have had them for aprox 10 years and don't plan on replacing them.

Thanks for youre input Kris. A settled for a pair of yamaha hs7. Hopefully a will be happy with them.

QUOTE (Rammikin @ Mar 16 2017, 01:09 PM) *

Personally, I swear by Genelec monitors. The quality is excellent.

Yeah meant to may say a flat response cab. A think it was called matrix or something like that. A have settled for active studio monitors. Everything should arrive tomorrow.

+Quote Post
Mertay
Mar 16 2017, 08:17 PM
QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 16 2017, 07:14 PM) *
Hi Mertay

I decided to go for the Yamaha hs7. The hs8 would of cost me £150 more. I am going on holiday in a few months so thinking about keeping the cost down.

They will arrive tomorrow. smile.gif

Thanks for youre help

Great, I hope you enjoy them smile.gif let me know if any help needed on setup, placement etc.

--------------------

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 16 2017, 08:36 PM
QUOTE (Mertay @ Mar 16 2017, 07:17 PM) *
Great, I hope you enjoy them smile.gif let me know if any help needed on setup, placement etc.

Will do.

Thanks mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Mar 17 2017, 02:48 AM
The HS7 are spiff set smile.gif Should work great for mixing and for just output from your kemper. I use the KRK rokit6 for the same applications. Recording/mixing and direct output from my processor (11 rack).

QUOTE (liveOASISforever @ Mar 16 2017, 03:36 PM) *
Will do.

Thanks mate smile.gif

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 17 2017, 07:54 AM
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Mar 17 2017, 01:48 AM) *
The HS7 are spiff set smile.gif Should work great for mixing and for just output from your kemper. I use the KRK rokit6 for the same applications. Recording/mixing and direct output from my processor (11 rack).

Nice one Todd. Thats good to know.

Cheers smile.gif

+Quote Post
bleez
Mar 17 2017, 09:20 AM
Experienced Tone Seeker
congrats on the Kemper btw smile.gif

--------------------

You say 'minor pentatonic ' like it's a bad thing

+Quote Post
liveOASISforever
Mar 17 2017, 09:43 PM
QUOTE (bleez @ Mar 17 2017, 08:20 AM) *
congrats on the Kemper btw smile.gif

Thanks alot mate smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:43 AM