Power Supply Defective? Any Hardward Wizards Here?
fkalich
Feb 11 2009, 02:53 AM
GMC:er
Probably there are some here. I have a sick Dell server, does not power up, the screen displays nothing. However there is some activity when I try to power up.

1)Sometimes when I power on, the case fan does turn on for a bit as it used to do (I think it runs a test on it), and an available yellow wire output line from power to power supply to a meter does show 12V for maybe 5 seconds or less. But then suddenly the voltage drops to nearly nothing, and the orange "you have a problem" light starts to blink on the server. It never shows anything on the video screen, as I said. The power supply fan does run though.

2) If I try to power up again soon after that, then generally the case fan never turns on at all, and the voltage shows nearly nothing from the beginning. Either that or the case fan starts to turn on for just a small instant, or it struggles to try and turn on for a second or two. It is as if the power supply needs a rest to do the little it is willing to do. Maybe. But I am not sure it is the power supply, could be a short. But I would think it would be more consistent if the motherboard or a device were shorting out.

3) However If I wait awhile before I try it again (maybe an hour) it may again do what it did in (1) above, the case fan will test for several seconds as it should, but after about 5 seconds the problem light blinks, and that is as far as it gets.

I did try running it, disconnecting all drives and the one board (that mirrors data to a second disk) and the fans one by one. This did not help (I was looking for a short in a device).

To me, this smells of a bad power supply. But it is expensive to guess. Any feelings on this? Thanks.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by fkalich: Feb 11 2009, 03:14 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 11:19 AM