> Rules

Here is where the magic happens: the REC board turns bedroom guitarists into real pros. Remember - it doesn't matter if you fail or pass, as long as you keep posting REC takes you will progress.

The entries will be graded by a number of instructors. After grading, members will be accredited with the appropriate points if they pass, and adjustments will be made to their REC level.
Passing grade is 6 or higher.

* Submit your REC take!
* More info
* Score board
* Recording tutorial

Petrucci Made Easy, Lesson By Ben Higgins
Grade
1-10
1 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
2 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
3 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
4 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
5 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
6 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
7 [ 3 ] ** [100.00%]
8 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
9 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
10 [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
Total Votes: 3

vpavlov
Apr 17 2016, 08:52 PM
Learning Roadie
Original lesson: Petrucci Made Easy by Ben Higgins

Amazing Lesson! I had a lot of fun practicing it.

Several comments:
- my guitar is in Eb;
- on the 25 s. mark the original suspends the note, but unfortunately for me, my guitar in this setup has a dead note at the B frequency (17 fret G string and 13 fret B string), so no matter what I try it won't suspend. Thus, I just slide out at that point.
- when I looked at the take in YouTube after I posted it, I can hear a parasite string sound at 30 sec. mark. I decided I will post this as it is; I know about it and usually don't hit it, but right now I'm not in the mood of retaking this one :-)
- I can see my fingers flying all over the place :-) Obviously have to practice more to get rid of that effect :-)

Cheers,
-Val

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by vpavlov: Apr 17 2016, 08:56 PM

--------------------
Ibanez RG1550 --> BIAS FX on iPad --> Ardour on avLinux
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ben Higgins
Apr 18 2016, 09:11 AM
Instructor
Hi man, this is some good stuff. I see what you mean about the dead note.. it sucks when that happens. You managed it quite well anyway smile.gif

Your picking is very solid, so my suggestions of things to improve are;

- The timing of the lick at 0:10. Try to get it to sound more like the original. Your play it very straight but the timing of the notes should slightly different to that. Try to emulate the original if you can, it will give you more of a vocabulary when it comes to varying the rhythm of your phrases.

- Vibrato. I'm not seeing any! Ok, maybe a little bit now and again but mainly it's non existent. Try to work on this. I know it's not as fun as picking etc but it is essential. Also, when you do use vibrato, don't rely just on one finger to perform it. Use the other fingers to rest them on the string in front of the other finger, which gives you more strength to manipulate the note, just like you would do with a string bend!

Well done - keep up the good work.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Apr 19 2016, 03:33 PM
Instructor
Hi friend!

Good job with this lesson!

As Ben said, the most important element to improve on this take is vibrato which is not appearing here. Vibrato is an essential technique and makes everything sounds much more expressive to I recommend to get into it.

This is a good place to start: https://www.guitarmasterclass.net/ls/Bens-Vibrato-Odyssey-5/

Besides this I can also hear timing issues here and there and some pitch issues in some parts like at 00:15 or 00:24.

Keep on the hard work!

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 24 2016, 01:59 PM
Instructor
Hey there!

Your picking hand looks very good and your sync between both hands is also descent. I think main articulation aspect to work on is you vibrato. Review a few vibrato lessons. There is one upcoming though. See how the left hand behaves. It works similar to bending technique - you can use all fingers before the one that plays the note, to support whole vibration process. Consider it as a "one big glued finger" that handles string bending easier than a single finger. It's much easier to perfectly control the pitch. Also...the motion comes mostly wrom the left wrist, not that much from the finger itself smile.gif

+Quote Post
Fran
Apr 25 2016, 09:13 AM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
One more vote please! smile.gif

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post
Darius Wave
Apr 25 2016, 04:28 PM
Instructor
Mine was missing. Sorry smile.gif Fixed!

+Quote Post
Fran
May 2 2016, 02:11 PM
Learning Rock Star - Wiki Coordinator
Pass: 7

--------------------
Guitars:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster, Ibanez RG2570MZ, Epiphone SG G-400
Amp:
Vox AC4TVH head + V112TV cab
Effects:
Vox Satchurator, Vox Time Machine, Dunlop CryBaby, Boss MT-2, Boss CE-5, Boss TU-2, Boss ME-70
Recording:
Line-6 POD X3 + FBV-Express, Pandora PX5D

GMC wants YOU to take part in our Guitar-Wikipedia!
Have a good time reading great articles and writing your own with us in our GUITAR WIKI!
Share your playing and get Pro-advice from our Instructors: Join REC

+Quote Post

Closed TopicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 01:19 AM