Amp Or Amp Modeller
Ari
Jan 6 2023, 05:10 AM
Learning Chord Basher
Hi all

I'm thinking of getting an amp or amp modeller, I want to know what are the pro and cons of each of them. I was ready to get Blackstar HTR5 since it is a low watt amp and it has effect loops ports which I'm thinking of getting Boss RC5 as well in the future.

But my friend told me to get an amp modeller with drum machine and looper in it, instead of getting the amp and RC5, and connect it to my scarlett. so I was browsing last night, and found these 3 as a candidate. Zoom G6, Valeton Gp200 or NUX M30. I know zoom has been around for quite sometimes. Valeton and NUX MG30 I never heard of them until recently but it seems promising.

Now I'm leaning toward my friend's suggestion, but what are the pro and cons? Also, any suggestions with the amp modeller among those three?

I know valeton from this youtube

Cheers guys

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 6 2023, 11:30 PM
GMC Founder
I don't know anything about these specific models.

But when I was starting out - I was also looking for an 'all in one' solution. After all, I wanted to spend as much time practicing and as little timing searching for several different pieces of equipment. So your friends advice sound good to me.

You are likely to go through many phases as you progress and your taste will evolve. But modellers have gotten so good nowadays I don't see you being disappointed with using one for practice purposes.

Chances are you will end end up using both modellers and real amps (that's where I landed!) - both have their strengths/weaknesses).

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 7 2023, 02:11 AM
GMC:er
+1 to everything Kris says.
I'm older. When I started there were only amps, and even the practice amps of the day were 'loud' relative to the 1 watters available today. What we used to use as practice amps are now gigging amps.

Another option is something like a Boss Katana or a Positive Grid 'spark'. They do double duty as an actual amp but they have fairly advanced modeling tech inside and can also be used as a recording interface.

Something to maybe think about with the blackstar is that you can also use it to jam with other musicians if and when that arises. 5 watts isn't loud but it's enough for two guitars or guitar and bass or keys. Even a drummer if they're relatively cognizant of the volume level.
Also, micing an amp is fun and a cool skill to have.

Just some stuff to consider.

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 7 2023, 09:25 AM
As you already have an audio interface, for home recording/practice, I'd say get a solid amp sim app like OVERLOUD THU ROCK EDITION. It's about $100 and has a large variety of every sort of amp/cab/effects/etc. that you might need for home recording and practice. You can get an all in one practice amp at any point and add it to your collection of gear that will no doubt grow over time. A plugin like this one is a great way to get started in home recording and can offer you some amazing tone far beyond the face value of the money spent. It's just about impossible to get this level of tone and this wide variety of amps/cabs/etc for this type of money. Im a big fan of this particular bit of kit. I use amp modellers, and amps and this plugin is by far my fave way to practice and record.

here is a vid and a link smile.gif

https://www.overloud.com/products/th-u-rock

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 8 2023, 10:50 PM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (klasaine @ Jan 7 2023, 02:11 AM) *
What we used to use as practice amps are now gigging amps.

That must have been quite a strain on your ears/hearing!

--------------------

+Quote Post
klasaine
Jan 9 2023, 07:09 AM
QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 8 2023, 02:50 PM) *
That must have been quite a strain on your ears/hearing!

For some, yeah. Whenever it got actually physically painful, I either used real earplugs or just a wadded-up piece of paper.
I still do sometimes. My hearing, currently, is fine. I have a little high-end loss but that's probably more due to my age. We all lose some high-end past 40 or 45.

Speaking of which ... how's your ear?

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 9 2023, 04:08 PM
GMC Founder
Well it's going according to plan so far, which means I won't be hearing much on it for another month. After that the substance they put inside the eardrum during surgery should be gone, making it possible for me to start hearing.

They had a look at it 7 days after surgery and said it looked good.

It usually takes 1 year for the earddrum to heal completely. So...

...fingers crossed 🤞

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 9 2023, 08:56 PM
Glad to hear it's healing! Losing ones hearing is a brutal result for anyone, even more for a musician. Hope it gets back to better asap smile.gif

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 9 2023, 11:08 AM) *
Well it's going according to plan so far, which means I won't be hearing much on it for another month. After that the substance they put inside the eardrum during surgery should be gone, making it possible for me to start hearing.

They had a look at it 7 days after surgery and said it looked good.

It usually takes 1 year for the earddrum to heal completely. So...

...fingers crossed 🤞

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 13 2023, 08:21 AM
GMC Founder
QUOTE (Todd Simpson @ Jan 9 2023, 08:56 PM) *
Glad to hear it's healing! Losing ones hearing is a brutal result for anyone, even more for a musician. Hope it gets back to better asap smile.gif

Thanks for best wishes Todd, I am doing my best to find other creative outlets in the meantime!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 14 2023, 12:02 AM
I notice that you have been adding some new bits to gmc which is great! Developing the site is a great way to be creative and productive imho.

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Jan 13 2023, 03:21 AM) *
Thanks for best wishes Todd, I am doing my best to find other creative outlets in the meantime!

+Quote Post
Kristofer Dahl
Jan 14 2023, 10:45 PM
GMC Founder
Agreed, it's creative and needed!

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 06:41 PM