A Bit Shell Shocked.
vampire18
Mar 3 2009, 01:18 PM
Learning Rock Star
i recently found out that while i thought i was alternate picking i was actually economy picking(i didn't know that you also alternate when you switch string it seemed more logical to just continue the motion. i think you answered my thread so you know what am i talking about) anyways,
after i discovered that, i thought well who is the best picker i know, hmm ,you! so here i am.
i watched for example extreme neoclassic because i thought that if you need to have as fast as motion as you had you would use economy but no even at that extreme speed you are using strict alternate even though you have to move around much more.

my question is why is it so important to alternate that you would slow yourslef down for it? i mean there is no debait that in economy you move less. why not follow a down storke with a down stroke? is going all the way over the string for an upstroke that important?
the reason i ask is that i found out i suck at alternating.

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 4 2009, 01:18 AM
Instructor
QUOTE (vampire18 @ Mar 3 2009, 01:18 PM) *
my question is why is it so important to alternate that you would slow yourslef down for it? i mean there is no debait that in economy you move less. why not follow a down storke with a down stroke? is going all the way over the string for an upstroke that important?
the reason i ask is that i found out i suck at alternating.

This might be a problem cause it seems you want me to say
that it's not important to be able to play alternate
but that just ain't gonna happen and here is why, in short lines. smile.gif

Alternate is powerful type of picking, you're getting best attack when using alternate,
economy is more like "prepare me the lick" cause it simply doesn't work for everything etc.

Eventually you WILL end up improvising sooner or later
and you'll ran into a lick that doesn't work with economy,
if your alternate picking isn't good enough it will sound sloppy, no doubt.

Final words, practice both and add Hybrid as well etc. smile.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post
vampire18
Mar 4 2009, 06:24 AM
Learning Rock Star
i did wanted you to tell me that economy is fine but after analyzing my playing a bit more i saw that actually im hybriding and i use a weird combo. plus i tried my licks with strict alternate and it sounds better.
most of my problem i see is going up after a up stroke to do a down.
unfortunately i was diagnosed(probably it was over the phone) with tendinitis of my fretting hand so i have at least a week to practice only my picking hand so i will be better in no time;)

--------------------

+Quote Post
Muris Varajic
Mar 4 2009, 12:23 PM
Instructor
Sorry to hear about tendinitis,
I hope you'll be better soon and keep working. smile.gif

--------------------
Youtube
MySpace
Website

Album "Let It Out" on
iTunes
and CD Baby

Check out my video lessons and instructor board!

The Pianist
tune is progress,check it out!

"ok.. it is great.. :P

have you myspace? Can i to personalize this for you guy?"

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 08:55 PM