Improv. Freebird Solo
shellshock1911
Apr 29 2007, 07:31 PM
GMC:er
Hey, I play my first gig in like 5-6 months, and since its basically "required" to play Freebird at every local live show, I figured I must as well. I basically know all the licks in the solo, but I want to improvise with it some, so it won't be exactly like the real solo, for example extend the solo about 2 minutes further. But since im relatively new to improvising I was just wondering, what is the best way to do it? I know that Freebird is in key of G, so I would improvise using G minor pentatonic right? And should I learn modes before I try to improvise? (I've decided to wait until Andrew's list of future theory lessons is done before I try to learn modes). Any help would be appreciated smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: Apr 29 2007, 07:31 PM

--------------------
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Start new topic
Replies (1 - 6)
Ryan
Apr 30 2007, 05:22 AM
i just say practice some of yoru licks.and put them into the solo also....and just kinda play that solo a BILLION differents times...each differetnly.....trying out different combinations of licks, and everything...thats what i would do...it will help you get more of the feel for improv., and how to make the solo feel like a freebird solo..but as your own i guess

o yea and about that g minor pentatonic..you dont neccesrily i dont think have to use the mp..just i believe anything in the key of G.....well not anything..but yea know what im tryin to say here....and the modes thing...hmm well idk about that..i dont think you have to use modes to improv. well i know for a fact you dont ahve to..cus i dont know any..and i improv. all the time biggrin.gif

hmm idk if that helped you any but hey atleast im tryin biggrin.gif

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

This post has been edited by Ryan: Apr 30 2007, 05:26 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Apr 30 2007, 02:19 PM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (Ryan @ Apr 30 2007, 12:22 AM) *
i just say practice some of yoru licks.and put them into the solo also....and just kinda play that solo a BILLION differents times...each differetnly.....trying out different combinations of licks, and everything...thats what i would do...it will help you get more of the feel for improv., and how to make the solo feel like a freebird solo..but as your own i guess

o yea and about that g minor pentatonic..you dont neccesrily i dont think have to use the mp..just i believe anything in the key of G.....well not anything..but yea know what im tryin to say here....and the modes thing...hmm well idk about that..i dont think you have to use modes to improv. well i know for a fact you dont ahve to..cus i dont know any..and i improv. all the time biggrin.gif
hmm idk if that helped you any but hey atleast im tryin biggrin.gif

I'm not an expert on this song - I remember the chord sequence is G D/F# Em F C D.

Ryan is right about practicing a billion times - that way you can make the song your own and play something different. As for scales, well as RYan says you don't need to know modes for this, or for most types of improvisation.

In this case, the scale is G major, and if you stick to that you will be mostly ok - Pentatonic won;t work so well. There is a chord of F in there which doesn't fit in the G major scales so you need to shift to a scale of F for that one chord (which in practice means playing a couple of different notes, its not a big deal). To practice that F piece, just make sure you know the notes in the F scale, and stick to those - most of them are the same as the notes in the G scales, so definately use the ones the scales have in common, and throw in a couple of the ones unique to F.

I don't have a recording handy - is the guitar solo section different to the one above? In which case ignore what I said about G makor and F.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 1 2007, 02:16 AM
yea that chord progression is for the main part of the song the solo progession is G5-A#5-C#5

And so if the song was in G minor key I would use G minor petantonic right? And how do tell if a song is in a minor key?

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 2 2007, 11:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
May 1 2007, 02:45 AM
Moderation Policy Director
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Apr 30 2007, 09:16 PM) *
yea that chord progression is for the main part of the song the solo progession is G5-A#5-C#

And so if the song was in G minor key I would use G minor petantonic right? And how do tell if a song is in a minor key?

Yes, definately - minor pentatonic should work great!

To tell if it is in a minor key you need to look at the other chords and see if they belong in a minor progression ..

Are you sure about the C# BTW? If it was a C, you sould have Gmin, A#min, C giving you a fairly standard minor progression - C# doesn't fit there so if it is correct, there is another scale being used in passing which would tend to mess up the minor pentatonic. I'll try and get hold of Freebord and have a listen.

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
shellshock1911
May 2 2007, 11:26 PM
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ May 1 2007, 02:45 AM) *
Yes, definately - minor pentatonic should work great!

To tell if it is in a minor key you need to look at the other chords and see if they belong in a minor progression ..

Are you sure about the C# BTW? If it was a C, you sould have Gmin, A#min, C giving you a fairly standard minor progression - C# doesn't fit there so if it is correct, there is another scale being used in passing which would tend to mess up the minor pentatonic. I'll try and get hold of Freebord and have a listen.

sorry, I don't know what I was thinking, it's not C#5, just regular C5, like you said

This post has been edited by shellshock1911: May 2 2007, 11:28 PM

--------------------

+Quote Post
dogman
May 3 2007, 02:27 AM
QUOTE (shellshock1911 @ Apr 29 2007, 02:31 PM) *
Hey, I play my first gig in like 5-6 months, and since its basically "required" to play Freebird at every local live show, I figured I must as well. I basically know all the licks in the solo, but I want to improvise with it some, so it won't be exactly like the real solo, for example extend the solo about 2 minutes further. But since im relatively new to improvising I was just wondering, what is the best way to do it? I know that Freebird is in key of G, so I would improvise using G minor pentatonic right? And should I learn modes before I try to improvise? (I've decided to wait until Andrew's list of future theory lessons is done before I try to learn modes). Any help would be appreciated smile.gif

That solo is always a treat to play live at a show. What I do is practice playing along with the really long live version. When the solos come up I start pretty close to the same then just take off and do my own thing coming in and back out again here and there just to keep the same feel of the solo.

It's kinda like skimming paragraphs when reading a book. You read the first, middle and last sentence and you know what the paragraph is all about.

just my 2 cents

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 09:54 PM