"uninspired Sounding" Improvisation - New Member
Nick Filipoff
May 29 2021, 11:56 PM
GMC:er
Hey Everyone! I'm a new member here to GMC. I played guitar regularly a few years ago, but fell off the bandwagon due to some personal issues. Now I'm looking to slowly get back into practicing again. I actually bought into GMC a year ago and only used my membership a couple of times. As of now, I'm looking to turn a new page and begin playing again.

So getting to my actual question, I want to address my improvisation skills. As it stands right now, I know all the 3NPS scales (need to review them), and all the pentatonic shapes (need to review those also as I've forgotten them over time). I've always had an issue with making my playing sound creative. I can find good sounding notes, but my phrases sound boring.

I chatted with a pro musician recently and he said it sounds like I have a rhythm issue. He recommended I start to study Konnakol to get a better feel of rhythm. Is this a good place to start? What else should I study?

Even stepping into a basic jam, my playing comes off as generally boring after less than a minute. I know rhythm has to be my issue because I have a good enough ear to always land on good sounding notes. My phrasing is pretty good too (Solid bends, vibrato, can play fairly fast, etc.). I just need to work on rhythm. Any advice for me? Thank you!!

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 05:58 PM