3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Pod Hd500, How many of you own one - first impressions?
Michael AC
Jan 14 2012, 04:07 AM
Learning Apprentice Player
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 13 2012, 07:38 PM) *
I don't know how I missed this ~ I downloaded the tones and will try them out tonight! If I create any tones that I'm proud of I'll be sure to share them in this thread! Thanks!

Chris!

This makes want to save up even faster...will be nice to share tones and techniques. I am looking forward to being able to control the chaining paths. I plan on using it with my Line 6 Spider Valve III. It has an input in the back so I can bypass the built-in cab modeling and use the pedal.

QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 3 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Something I learned recently through research though is the implementing a 4 cable hook up method:

This helps as the amp they are using in the video is the exact amp I have... smile.gif

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 14 2012, 06:02 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Michael AC @ Jan 13 2012, 07:07 PM) *
This makes want to save up even faster...will be nice to share tones and techniques. I am looking forward to being able to control the chaining paths. I plan on using it with my Line 6 Spider Valve III. It has an input in the back so I can bypass the built-in cab modeling and use the pedal.

Awesome. I'd love to hear how that amp sounds with your setup. I've never tied one!

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------
The more I practice, the more I wish I had time to practice!
My Band Forum: http://passionfly.site/chat

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jan 15 2012, 12:20 AM
Learning Rock Star
Does anyone know if the Line 6 POD HD500 charges the iPod while it is connected? That would be very convenient since my brother "ran" back to Norway from Houston and stole my charger, which I won't get back in ages seeing as we don't live in the same city anymore...

--------------------
My YouTube Channel
Lost in all the 2000+ GMC lessons? Check my Lesson Plan

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Recording equipment/software
Line 6 POD Studio GX
Logitech QuickCam Pro 9000
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 15 2012, 04:06 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Jan 14 2012, 03:20 PM) *
Does anyone know if the Line 6 POD HD500 charges the iPod while it is connected? That would be very convenient since my brother "ran" back to Norway from Houston and stole my charger, which I won't get back in ages seeing as we don't live in the same city anymore...

it doesn't, no sad.gif it uses the headphones 1/4" out to connect to the 1/4" in on the HD. So no USB connection to charge your phone :/ Time to hit the apple store!

oopse, meant eighth inch.

This post has been edited by SirJamsalot: Jan 15 2012, 04:07 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jan 15 2012, 04:27 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 15 2012, 04:06 AM) *
it doesn't, no sad.gif it uses the headphones 1/4" out to connect to the 1/4" in on the HD. So no USB connection to charge your phone :/ Time to hit the apple store!

oopse, meant eighth inch.

Technically I asked about the iPod, not the iPhone but I guess they use the same charging system. Got a cheap USB charger anyway, problem solved.

So... If it uses the headphones' input, does that mean I can't use the iPod and the headphones for the HD at the same time? :S

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Fender American Standard Stratocaster - Olympic White body, Maple fretboard, White Pearl pickguard, 21 frets, SSS
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 15 2012, 07:30 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Alexiaden93 @ Jan 14 2012, 07:27 PM) *
Technically I asked about the iPod, not the iPhone but I guess they use the same charging system. Got a cheap USB charger anyway, problem solved.

So... If it uses the headphones' input, does that mean I can't use the iPod and the headphones for the HD at the same time? :S

you can do it any way you like - I'll plug my iphone/ipod into the HD, my guitar into the HD, and my headphones into the HD. That way I can listen to my music, and play my guitar along with it, all the while listening uisng my headphones biggrin.gif Of course, if you prefer not to use headphones, just plug the headphone out into your stereo / mixer board / PA, amplifier, whatever .

Anyhoo - lots of inputs and outputs on the HD. Check out the manual to see what you can use.

cheers!

--------------------

+Quote Post
Alexiaden93
Jan 15 2012, 08:37 AM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (SirJamsalot @ Jan 15 2012, 07:30 AM) *
you can do it any way you like - I'll plug my iphone/ipod into the HD, my guitar into the HD, and my headphones into the HD. That way I can listen to my music, and play my guitar along with it, all the while listening uisng my headphones biggrin.gif Of course, if you prefer not to use headphones, just plug the headphone out into your stereo / mixer board / PA, amplifier, whatever .

Anyhoo - lots of inputs and outputs on the HD. Check out the manual to see what you can use.

cheers!

Thank you so much for the help! I haven't actually bought it yet, but will be doing so tomorrow. smile.gif

--------------------
My YouTube Channel

Guitars
Yamaha Pacifica

Amplifier
Marshall 15CDR, 45 watts

Line 6 POD Studio GX
Reaper v3.04
Sony Vegas Pro 8.0

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 15 2012, 10:18 AM
Learning Roadie
Hey,

nice thread !

Can someone tell me something about the difference between the POD HD 500 and the POD HD "desktop" version (the classic POD "bean" form).

I have a POD X3, do you think it's worth to sell the x3 and getting a POD HD instead (qualitywise)?

--------------------
My gear:
Schecter Blackjack ATX FR
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 17 2012, 10:14 AM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 15 2012, 10:18 AM) *
Can someone tell me something about the difference between the POD HD 500 and the POD HD "desktop" version (the classic POD "bean" form).

I have a POD X3, do you think it's worth to sell the x3 and getting a POD HD instead (qualitywise)?

Hey POD HD users,

yesterday i sold my POD X3 and i'm now thinking about getting the POD HD desktop version.

I found out that the difference between the hd300-500 series and the desktop version relies on the different inputs and outputs and it seems that the hd300-500 is better for playing live. Is this correct ?

So soundwise the desktop version should be the same compared to the hd500 right?

Are there any alternatives out there smile.gif

Basicly i want a device which i can use for recording songs, practicing and maybe use it with an amp later on.

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 17 2012, 12:27 PM
Moderation Policy Director
Yes, the HD500 and the HD Pro are pretty much identical in features sound wise - they just have a different form factor. The Pro is better suited to sitting in a rack in the studio and has additional ins and outs (balanced as well as unbalanced) and a Mic Preamp, the 500 is meant to be used live, includes all the footswitching and sits happily on the floor, although either can do the other job.

One important point is that if you want to play live with the Pro you will need to buy an additional pedal board (they recommend the FB shortboard MKII at $199 - I have this) - this works fine, even for the looper etc, but adds significantly to the price of the overall package - I was happy to pay extra for the flexibility though. If I ever gig with my HD Pro I have a small mobile rack for it, or i may even invest in a flight case to protect it.

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jan 17 2012, 12:28 PM

--------------------
Check out my Instructor profile
Live long and prosper ...

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Acoustic Guitars : Taylor 816ce, Martin D-15, Line6 Variax Acoustic 300 Nylon
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 17 2012, 12:45 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 17 2012, 12:27 PM) *
Yes, the HD500 and the HD Pro are pretty much identical in features sound wise - they just have a different form factor. The Pro is better suited to sitting in a rack in the studio and has additional ins and outs (balanced as well as unbalanced) and a Mic Preamp, the 500 is meant to be used live, includes all the footswitching and sits happily on the floor, although either can do the other job.

One important point is that if you want to play live with the Pro you will need to buy an additional pedal board (they recommend the FB shortboard MKII at $199 - I have this) - this works fine, even for the looper etc, but adds significantly to the price of the overall package - I was happy to pay extra for the flexibility though. If I ever gig with my HD Pro I have a small mobile rack for it, or i may even invest in a flight case to protect it.

Hi Andrew,

thanks for your answer ! With HD Pro you mean this device right? : Click here

I thought about getting this POD HD: Click here

But looking at the features it should be just another form factor, so it looks like a cool recording and practicing device. The HD Pro rack version is too expensive for me smile.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Blister
Jan 17 2012, 01:46 PM
Learning Apprentice Player
Very interesting thread, indeed!

I recently purchased a Pod 2.0 (older version but works well), Floorboard (works fine cept for Wah), stand (mounted on mic stand) used for $150usd. I'm new to multi effects & thought this was a fair price to test how I liked it. Yes, I'm loving it. smile.gif

I have looked at the HD series as well. I'm curious why the HD500 seems to be the most popular. Seems like bending down/over to make adjustments would be annoying or do you place it, on say, a keyboard stand while making adjustments to presets? I assume adjustments can be done w/the foot as well, but that screen seems small (& I'm getting older mad.gif). But I also see by using the desktop (assuming easier to adjust) is more equipment to connect/carry around & a foot board would be an added cost. I'm nowhere near the rack equipment stage level...YET!?!?!

Like I said, I'm new to this & hope it isn't a stupid question/comment.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Gabriel Leopardi
Jan 17 2012, 02:27 PM
Instructor
QUOTE (Blister @ Jan 17 2012, 09:46 AM) *

I recently purchased a Pod 2.0 (older version but works well), Floorboard (works fine cept for Wah), stand (mounted on mic stand) used for $150usd. I'm new to multi effects & thought this was a fair price to test how I liked it. Yes, I'm loving it. smile.gif

I have looked at the HD series as well. I'm curious why the HD500 seems to be the most popular. Seems like bending down/over to make adjustments would be annoying or do you place it, on say, a keyboard stand while making adjustments to presets? I assume adjustments can be done w/the foot as well, but that screen seems small (& I'm getting older mad.gif). But I also see by using the desktop (assuming easier to adjust) is more equipment to connect/carry around & a foot board would be an added cost. I'm nowhere near the rack equipment stage level...YET!?!?!

Congrats man! Welcome the the amp simulator and Fxs world!! The Pod HD is popular because it's the new version of Pods. It includes all the updates and improvements regarding the quality of sound and also regarding the possibilities of connection and tone edition. I had the Pod X3 live and the different in sound quality (amps and fxs) is notorious. Check out this video:

The easier way to edit presets is using Gearbox (or Pod HD Edit) that is a software that is a software that you can download from the site and will allow you to created tones and save yo you device faster and clearer.

Regarding your question about why the new version have pedals... this is not something new, the last two versions has a "live version" which means that you can change presets and use a expression pedal like if you have a MultiFx rack and a Foot midi controller all in one. If you would like to do the same with your Pod 2.0 you should get a midi controller.

--------------------
My lessons

Do you need a Guitar Plan?
Join Gab's Army

Check my band:Cirse
Check my soundcloud:Soundcloud

Please subscribe to my:Youtube Channel

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 17 2012, 04:32 PM
QUOTE (edguy @ Jan 17 2012, 06:45 AM) *
Hi Andrew,

thanks for your answer ! With HD Pro you mean this device right? : Click here

I thought about getting this POD HD: Click here

But looking at the features it should be just another form factor, so it looks like a cool recording and practicing device. The HD Pro rack version is too expensive for me smile.gif

Yes, i was talking about the HD Pro, sorry! I don't know so much about the one you are looking at ...

--------------------

My Stuff:

Electric Guitars : Ibanez Jem7v, Line6 Variax 700, Fender Plus Strat with 57/62 Pickups, Line6 Variax 705 Bass
Effects : Line6 Helix, Keeley Modded Boss DS1, Keeley Modded Boss BD2, Keeley 4 knob compressor, Keeley OxBlood
Amps : Epiphone Valve Jnr & Head, Cockburn A.C.1, Cockburn A.C.2, Blackstar Club 50 Head & 4x12 Cab

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 17 2012, 06:31 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 17 2012, 04:32 PM) *
Yes, i was talking about the HD Pro, sorry! I don't know so much about the one you are looking at ...

Okay Andrew no problem, i'm pretty sure i will find the right one for me smile.gif

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
SirJamsalot
Jan 17 2012, 10:34 PM
Learning Rock Star
QUOTE (Blister @ Jan 17 2012, 04:46 AM) *

Gabriel summed it up great. I would only add that the HD500 (and the rack version) have a USB port to connect to your computer, so you can control the pedal via your computer - that is, you can create tones, set lists, patches - move effects around in the effects chain, etc. all from a user interface via the software. You can save all of your presets, export them into a file and send them to others who have an HD who can then import them to try them out as well! The line6 forum has a section devoted to tones created by others that you can download and import - and bam - you've got a custom tone someone else created. I love this feature. But everything you can do with the software, you can do directly from the unit itself (except import saved tones). It's just a win-win for home use. As far as live goes? Never tried it live - you'll always have those who love it, and others that hate it - so you gotta just try it yourself and see if you like it.

hmm. I said I would "only add"... guess I rambled on a bit huh? sorry huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Todd Simpson
Jan 17 2012, 10:47 PM
GMC:er
Secondly - KRK Studio Monitors are great for home practice biggrin.gif
]KRK Studio monitors are great for guitars. You could just use 1, and for that I suggest getting a Rokit G2 8" model. if you want a pair, then the 6" or 5" models will do. of course it does depend on your tone. if you like a thick lump of bass in your tone, the bigger speakers may help a little, but the 5's and 6's are surprisingly good at giving a lot of bass too... so I guess it also depends on the volume level you want...
Myself and several of the other experts here all use KRK Rokit's...

for your bedget you could get a pair of the 6" KRK's and the headphones for $500 from sweetwater. If it was my choice that's what I'd be buying.

------------

BINGO! smile.gif When I got my KRK Rokit 6 monitors and started using Guitar Rig with an external Pre-Amp, I actually took my physical Guitar Rig apart and started selling pieces of it. The emulation through the rokits was just that good. Recording decent tone got wads easier and going between mic reposition and mouse over and over is a thing of the past. I recently added a pair of AKG MK II and Booya! Killer sound from heaphones or speakers.

The cones in the KRK are a carbon weave that does a really good job on guitar. Especially big / heavy/ crunchy guitar smile.gif

Todd

Attached Image

This post has been edited by Todd Simpson: Jan 17 2012, 10:55 PM

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 21 2012, 03:27 PM
Learning Roadie
Hey guys,

because this thread is very interesting and gathers a lot of information about the line 6 pod hd devices i want to suggest that we use this thread as a line 6 pod hd user thread.

Yesterday I got my POD hd desktop and i love it!

That said i want to share a bunch of links to presets, basic information, playing videos etc:

These presets are made by Rob Chappers from andertons.co.uk and they are really good imho:

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/leeanderton/

Here are the sound demos of these tones:

Then i found this guy in youtube and his customtone profile where you get his presets:

http://line6.com/customtone/profile/MartinMoyan0/

Gary Moore Example

Another one which sound really cool!

High gain Metal sound:

here the download link for that preset:

http://www.oep.se/Crap/Olahandjobpatch.hre (right click to save)

So that's it for now. Hope you like it !

PS: If you want to use the hd500 presets on the hd desktop (or pro i guess) just rename the file type to the one that is needed by your device.

This post has been edited by edguy: Jan 21 2012, 03:28 PM

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post
Andrew Cockburn
Jan 21 2012, 05:10 PM
Thanks for doing this edguy!

I love the Andertons reviews - they play well, cover several different styles and get all the best stuff - I am buying a Blackstar Club 50 Head and cab mainly based on their review!

This post has been edited by Andrew Cockburn: Jan 21 2012, 05:17 PM

--------------------

My Stuff:

+Quote Post
edguy
Jan 21 2012, 09:18 PM
Learning Roadie
QUOTE (Andrew Cockburn @ Jan 21 2012, 05:10 PM) *
Thanks for doing this edguy!

I love the Andertons reviews - they play well, cover several different styles and get all the best stuff - I am buying a Blackstar Club 50 Head and cab mainly based on their review!

Hey Andrew,

I'm glad that you liked it smile.gif I'm also a fan of the Andertons reviews!

Here is another tip i found on the net regarding reamping of the POD signal. Maybe it's useful for one of us smile.gif

Quote from: http://es.line6.com/support/thread/62948%3...nid=C3C082856BA 731DA8F38E266185ABD1E

To reamp a guitar track on the POD HD500 using USB connection:

-Launch your DAW.

-Assign your POD HD500 as the audio device/driver.

-Create a track.

-Start using a blank patch, so that you can record your guitar clean.

-Connect your guitar to the Guitar Input.

-Record your guitar part.

-Disarm the record enable on this track once you are done recording.

-Create another track with the same input, but mute it, but record enable it.

-On the HD500, using a instrument cable, connect the L MONO out to the guitar input.

-Configure your tone, or bring up a patch.

-Launch the Line 6 Audio-MIDI devices menu, and under the inputs & recording tab please decrease the hardware monitor level all the way.

-After you are happy with your tone, press record.

You can use the 1/4" out switch to adjust the level if you are having a bad signal or sound.

--------------------
My gear:
Ibanez SA 220 Fm
Line 6 POD HD (Desktop)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:04 AM