Improvising, Various stuff, not just improvisaton
jammer91
Jan 19 2008, 03:22 PM
GMC:er
Hi Kris, youve been doing a fantastic job with this site. I joined a bit more than 6 months ago and i see so much changes. There have been so many new instructors, there has been endless efforts for site expansions, who would have ever thought of a lesson planner, virtual band and soon a guitar wiki. This site has helped me benefit in many ways as well. Ive learnt so much and, you may not believe it but it has made me more open minded (i used to make fun of blues and jazz and things like that, but now ive been sort of obsessed with blues, and with my change in attitude ive been looking at things in a different perspective). I have undoubtedly become much better, but when i try to come up with my own riffs or try to improvise im still a beginner. The thing is, i can play a lot of intermediate stuff on GMC, but i fail to use creativity and write my own songs, solos, riffs etc.

I then realized the importance of scales in playing. I went through you pentatonic lessons and through some of Andrews theory lessons. They strange thing is the more i learn scales the more i started to become a systematic robot, plucking two notes on each string in a pentatonic scale (atleast i could come up with so killer metal riffs before, but now i dont know why ive even lost that).

As I further let GMC guide me i then came to find out about the term "lick"?
I do not understand this whole licking concept, but the part that i think i understand is that you use licks together to create solos. I understand how to change licks around and manipulate them to use them in my own music. The main problem i face is not quite simple. My theory foundation is in one word- obsolete. But i do beleive that learning scales is enough (dont have to worry about chords progressions and all as long as you know the key). So my problem is as follows:
-Are licks confined to certain scales or even keys? (because ive noticed that youve mentioned many times that this lick works the C minor pentatonic, and i fail to understand why it can be used with C minor pentatonic. Why not A minor pentatonic or B minor scale?)
-How do you move licks around in scales? (this is something i really need examples in)

So Kris, may i please request a 1-0-1 lesson on improvising that can clear all my doubts. Many GMCers are also facing this problem and this something that we can just spark off in our little heads, we really need your guidance.

I see loads of licks in GMC, but i cant even use one of them. It just is frustrating playing a lick over and over again in just one section of the fret board.

I do understand youre very busy with GMC work, but whenever you are able to set aside time for another GMC lesson can you please put the topic on improvising? Your lessons are very, very professionals and ive benefited from every one of them that ive practiced. I may have missed an improvising lesson somewhere, so if I have please do let me know.

Thanks yet again Kris

[Note: Sorry for the 6 foot post, but this is a really vast topic and i just couldnt help pouring my views onto the keyboard)

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

--------------------

QUOTE (Kristofer Dahl @ Nov 10 2007, 12:27 AM) *
Part of the key to success is to never call yourself good...

My RIg:
-Epiphone 1967 FLying V
-Line 6 POD XT live
-VOX Valvetronics AD30VT
-Yamaha EG-112
-Yamaha GA-10
-Some Yamaha acoustic which is a magnet to dust under my bed

End World Hunger
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 07:34 AM