Any Tips For Practicing Schedule
crazyfreestyler5...
May 5 2007, 06:11 AM
GMC:er
I've not beeing playing seriously for long, just about 3 weeks. I find myself playing the same thing over everyday. I would play the pentatonic scales up and down. then i could work on shifting scales to scales. I read somewhere that you dont need to know a lot of scales; therefore, I'm trying to get the pentatonic down before moving on. Next, I would work on sweeping for a while, then some legato. I practiced all of these with a metronome; however, I feel like I'm not improving at all. I feel like I'm just playing the same stuff over and over so I take a little break and go back at the same thing. Losing motivation so anyone have any idea what I should do?

You are at GuitarMasterClass.net

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
brainlesswonder
May 5 2007, 06:18 AM
QUOTE (crazyfreestyler50 @ May 5 2007, 01:11 AM) *
I've not beeing playing seriously for long, just about 3 weeks. I find myself playing the same thing over everyday. I would play the pentatonic scales up and down. then i could work on shifting scales to scales. I read somewhere that you dont need to know a lot of scales; therefore, I'm trying to get the pentatonic down before moving on. Next, I would work on sweeping for a while, then some legato. I practiced all of these with a metronome; however, I feel like I'm not improving at all. I feel like I'm just playing the same stuff over and over so I take a little break and go back at the same thing. Losing motivation so anyone have any idea what I should do?

More important than anything, you can't be impatient. There is rarely instant gratification in learning to play the guitar.

Don't miss today's free lick. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

Don't miss today's free blues, jazz & country licks. Plus all our lessons are packed with free content!

+Quote Post
mattacuk
May 5 2007, 09:13 AM
Lets go fishing!
QUOTE (crazyfreestyler50 @ May 5 2007, 06:11 AM) *

I started off doing pretty much the same stuff. It is hard to keep motivated at the start, i felt the same way you did 8 months ago! But you just carry on doing the exercises and working on things slowly and precisley - thats when you see improvment. try watching guitar greats like Steve Vai and Paul Gilbert on Youtube everyday - sure as hell keeps me motivated biggrin.gif

try concentrate on your technique and timeing with the metronome, youll speed up slowly but surley. Make little goals for yourself, like speeding up a few bpm at a time. Before long youll take off! biggrin.gif

--------------------
mysql> SELECT * FROM master_name WHERE ((firstname = 'Paul') AND (lastname = 'Gilbert'));

"The Fundimental Difference between Paul Gilbert and Buckethead is that Paul Explores the Good side of the force, while Buckethead Explores the Dark Side of the Force" :)

+Quote Post
rokchik
May 5 2007, 04:16 PM
The Dark Canuck
I started a practice diary as I was feeling the same way.

At the end of every practice session I do, I make a note of how long I've practiced what I practiced, bpm for the metronome, and if I felt like I wasn't improving or there was just something I couldn't get...fustration basically... I"ll make a note of that as well. I'll also note when I do something great like increase my bpm or finally get a lick down. Before the next session I'll go back over what I wrote from previous practices to see where my mind was at and a lot of the time I end up motivating myself to do better. I find it good to track my progress even if it's slow. This may not work for everyone but I find it helpful. Also I now have a record of my progress...as the banner says from zero to hero.

+Quote Post
crazyfreestyler5...
May 6 2007, 02:06 AM
Nice to know that I'm not the only one feeling this way. Thanks for the reply. So is my practicing schedule ok or should I try something else?

+Quote Post
DragonX556
May 6 2007, 04:35 AM
It doesn't sound like you're doing anything fun. You should add 20 minutes to trying to learn a song or a cool solo.

+Quote Post
crazyfreestyler5...
May 6 2007, 04:51 AM
Yes, my practice is kind of tedious.

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 6 2007, 07:21 AM
Well dude, and i dont really know what to say except let you in on my practice schedule

its not really you know like everybody elses...20 mins on scales, then 20 mins on jamming, 30 mins on learning something new, and then 5 mins on stretchs....or yea know w/e something liek that

but mine...is like lets say on a usual day about 6 to 8 hours of practice....i start off by playing different things slowly to warm up....no set time...its just whenever i feel as if i am warmed up enough...then i will probably go over some of the newest lessons that i dont know all the way yet...for a bit (NOTE: i never set a time on how long i should play something before i move on) so i dont forget them, then well i mostly just play the lessons here from gmc..like i dont practice scales....for speed picking...going up and down up and down....fast...for my ap i just play like lets say Pavel's new lesson..and will just play that..so thats my practice on ap...and then for like sweeps well i pratice there lessons here....everything i do i practice the lesson shere on....theres not 2 much of just practicing scales....i mix it all up..like ill be playing pavels new lesson..finish that..go over it again..then play Gab's new lesson, like 1 or more times..then go back to pavels...then to another lesson (NOTE: I play MANY MANY different lessons from GMC)..i jump around..so i dont get bored playing 1 thing...and inbetween all that...ill pratice licks...and improvastion..using scales..or such....when switching between lessons..cus ideas will pop in my head...and then sometimes so i dont forget scales...inbetween switching lessons..ill play every single Scale i know..about 2 or 3 times..in different orders..but yea..well ill do that for the whole im playing.just switching around..........i dont know..if this a good pratice schedule ro not..but it works for me..and keeps me happy, and motivated..and i usualy see results pretty quickly...and as i said before i mix everythign up...so yea..well pavels new lesson..1 time ill play it fast..then teh next ill go over every single lick and part of it..SLOW SLOW SLOW SLOW...and then fast again,etc. etc. etc. and ill do that for every lesson....I JUST NEED TO GET THIS METRENOME DOWN...
my advice to you though is, never give up, its hard sometimes but TRUST ME it gets better, and mix things up when you get bored....you wont die and nobody can ever get mad at you for not sticking to you regular schedule, and just truly know what you want, and if you do alll this you shouldnt lose motivation (NOTE: thats how i do it, and it works for me so maybe it will work for you)
Ryan

PS sorry for the longest post in the world haha, let me know on what you think of my practice schedule biggrin.gif...

This post has been edited by Ryan: May 6 2007, 07:30 AM

--------------------
“Obey the principles without being bound by them.”

+Quote Post
crazyfreestyler5...
May 7 2007, 03:36 AM
Your practicing schedule looks pretty interesting. It makes sense that you keep yourself motivated that way since you're always learning something new. I'll definately give it a try. Thanks for the advice.

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 7 2007, 03:47 AM
Well im really glad i could help biggrin.gif..this might sound gay to some of you..but i really hate it when a fellow guitarist ends up losing his motivation and stops playing sad.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Speedeh
May 7 2007, 04:03 AM
Thanks for the practice tips. I've been playing about 5 months now, 1.5 with GMC, and I've noticed a big improvement. I haven't really developed a practice schedule but this thread has inspired me to develop one. I firmly believe that sticking to a routine is what allowed me to become a good golfer, and sticking with one for guitar will be a huge step. This may sound funny, but I'm seeing a lot of similarities in playing guitar and playing golf.

+Quote Post
crazyfreestyler5...
May 7 2007, 04:15 AM
Well I guess we need more people who feel the same way about guitarist who lose motivation because people like you will be there who are willing to help out.

+Quote Post
Ryan
May 7 2007, 04:49 AM
yea thats true...i know a guy from my school..who is kinda like malmsteen real cocky and self centered because the can play good...this guy isnt as good as malmsteen or nothign....but he can play some van halen stuff..but he doesnt care about nobody but himself...he wouldnt even help me when i asked him how to do a pull-off correctly......

and see if i dont make it big with a band or anything...i really want to becoem a guitar teacher...so i can teach ppl the correct way to play...and how to practice suffencitly....and how to just have fun with it...because guitar can never be serious all the time..cus then it would be no fun...and how NOT to lose motivation

which im still workign on all my methods of teaching..on how i would present it and in which manner.....but im still like 2 years away form being good enough to be a teacher...

which brings up a question for kris.....how did you become a guitar teacher....did u just kinda like put up signs and told ppl "hey wanna learn guitar, because ill teach you everything you need to know!!!!"....or did you go to college..and work for them...or what??..if you can pm on this subject cus i really need help on it...or just post a reply on here..i dont care, just any help on this Kris, or whoever else is a teacher pm me or something it would be GREATLY appreciated biggrin.gif

edit: even if i do make it big i REALLY REALLY want to become a guitar teacher, and have it as my main occupation!!!

This post has been edited by Ryan: May 7 2007, 04:50 AM

--------------------

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 07:07 AM